Are there three kinds of reefers?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there's a number 4 , for the old-school guys who just like to keep fish and a happy healthy environment, we believe that fish are the stars of the show and not the backup actor to the situation, to me, the Fish are the stars and corals are the supporting actors and it all comes together in a system that gives these animals a place to be because let's face it they would have died in the pet store
I completely agree! I put all kinds of fish in and plan corals around the fish! And keep not reef safe fish in the reef! The coral is just there to keep the fish healthier and have a prettier home! I like the natural let it do what it wants way also!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all three equal parts with a dominant strength only temporarily achieving primacy as needed for the good of the whole. We should all strive to keep the three driving forces of reefing harmoniously balanced so the sum is at once greater than the parts and lesser than the whole.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3, my tank was a perfect ecosystem until I got a dosing system, now it’s a war 2.5 years later, going back to low tech ways. Water chemistry was always perfect. Now it seems that there's always too many nutrients in tank that cause ugly algaes. Never had a problem until I started using 2 parts. I used to dose everything manually, corals we’re thriving. Now they’re surviving. Going back to the old school ways. Major revamp coming while I’m on vacation later this month.

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% all three and clearly better at math than @Pete Paschall !

Thanks for that Pete; I just spit coffee all over my keyboard

MATH BE danged! It's all CHEMISTRY! Honestly I agree with chasing numbers, it's an exhausting habit. Only good to keep a few basic parameters in check such as PH and Alkalinity on a constant basis. Myself I am a DIY guy and love seascaping. I also love automation because in my view you are not messing around with your reef as much with it. I have my tank set up to take water from my RO reservoir and keep it fill to a certain point.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t afford to be number 1, so I am 3. Lol

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree! I put all kinds of fish in and plan corals around the fish! And keep not reef safe fish in the reef! The coral is just there to keep the fish healthier and have a prettier home! I like the natural let it do what it wants way also!
I bought into the whole blue light thing with bright flashing lights trying to make Coral grow, got so frustrated I'm finally transitioning back with my LEDs to 14K lighting, fish look better corals are much healthier and frankly I just don't get the whole blue light thing, I will say I get a dusk and Dawn that's very cool but besides that I don't see the point

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, in terms of the hobby, I've found there are basically three different philosophies that people have when it comes to reefing. Think of them as points on a triangle, with most people falling towards one or the other:

Probably more #1, but some #3 with a little #2 sprinkled in LOL.
Presentation1.jpg

Last edited:

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After attending Texas coral fest I’m disgusted to say there is a fourth category. The chop shop reefer. I heard a “dealer” trying to sell based on how fast or what was ready to be cut to sell. No respect to the animals anymore just what could be done to them. So sad to see that side of the hobby.
I call that number zero cuz they don't belong

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more on the #1 side of things. However, I am a big fan of all three. Honestly, I think there needs to be a #4 on that list. Being in tune with your tank. It might be weird but I feel like the tank is a part of me. I am so in tune with my tank that I can feel when something is off. I feel the stress and anxiety over all the little details. My wife will see me and say "Is there something wrong with your tank"? LOL... she knows me too well.

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so good to see discussions like this, makes us grow as reefers, examine why we are in the hobby. Someone else said it was a part of them. To me the animals I have are like family. I don't go for the prettiest fish, I spend an hour or more looking at fish in the store, at their personalities before I buy. Have never bought a fish online yet. Corals yes. I also agree these animals deserve good treatment and to be comfortable. I find my fish and my eel trust me when I feed them and will eat out of my hand. I love this hobby.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For us it would be a combination of 1 and 2. I am mechanical and DIY driven, my wife is very artistic so color and form means a lot to her. Our tanks have always been a focal point in our contemporary/modern home so it was important to us to keep the tank super clean. On our last tank tank we wanted to keep a minimalist look but ended up with more corals and rock than originally intended. We had mostly sps and lps with a very shallow sand bed. We used a lot of blue light to enhance the florescence but it sure was not very natural more like a Velvet Elvis painting they sell on the side of the road. In many ways I like the FOWLR that I had before I started messing with reef tanks. There are so many beautiful and colorful fish, one of my favs being a clown trigger.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back