Are these baby rock flower nems?? Help ID please!

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 rock flower nems in my 60 gal reef, I have spotted about 6-8 various little critters that I can only recognize as potential baby rock nems but I could be way wrong. At first I thought they were random migratory zoa polyps but on closer inspection with a magnifying glass I can see they actually have a foot/pedestal and appear to have a row of "feeler" type tentacles in addition to their outer skirt. They appear to be dark red in body with bright yellow skirts and translucent tentacles. The mouth is elongated. There are some of varying sizes but the biggest is still smaller in diameter than a standard no 2 pencil eraser.

If its baby rock nems I'm thrilled, if its something sinister that I haven't yet learned about I'm worried...I have learned enough to know that just because something cute pops up in your reef tank don't get excited and assume its a new little pet ;Sour.

Lastly, my two adult rock nems I've had going on 2 years and they are well and healthy but not in super close proximity to each other, which I assume would be a necessity for a spawning event? Bottom pic is for size reference.

20201130_145409.jpg

20201202_113247.jpg

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any mushrooms in the tank? they look to me like maybe a baby Ricordea or yuma. Honestly its entirely possible that its a baby rock flower anemone. did you notice if your water got cloudy? that could be a tell that they spawned. If in a week there's more, its not baby rock flower anemones and its most likely some sort of pest (babies don't normally reproduce and multiply) If I were you, I would just keep an eye on them. That would be really cool if they were babies :)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. after a quick google search, I would have to agree. They don't seem to be too much of pests-nothing like Aiptasias (still keep an eye on them though)
Not at all, I have a bunch, and they never caused any issues. They usually stay on the underside of the rock or in a shaded areas.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for the help everyone - ball anemones is a new one on me, I'll watch them. Interestingly, spot on in that they like the underside of the rocks, thats where most of them I've seen happen to be.

I was worried it was going to be some tank nuker type critter - phewwww. Thanks to all that replied!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back