Are these baby trochus snails?

MichelereefsBF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as my girlfriend and I we're combining three tanks into one...two of the tanks I've the past few months spawned hundreds of baby trochus snails..astrea snails. Anyways, we never owned either one of those snails before...I did buy live rock from a tank so I'm guessing that's where they came from. We picked out over a hundred and threw them in the new tank I've the span of a few days and we barely made a dent...can someone please help me identify these as those snails? Come shaped shells with maroon and white spiral coloring. If these spawned rather easily, any chance our nassarious snails will produce since they always lay eggs on the glass without predators to eat them?

IMG_20200116_163026.jpg IMG_20200116_162638.jpg

OP
OP
M

MichelereefsBF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Snails!!!! Congrats!

I can’t tell what kind though. Any chance you can get closer images?
Its hard now because they are everywhere and my phone is garbage...however they look like a tiny trochus with the spiral and color design spiral shell...lol

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard now because they are everywhere and my phone is garbage...however they look like a tiny trochus with the spiral and color design spiral shell...lol
I would say if they’re spiral on them they’re Trochus. Send me a few hundred of them, I’ll let you know what they are!hahahah

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im thinking nassarius snail

OP
OP
M

MichelereefsBF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if they’re spiral on them they’re Trochus. Send me a few hundred of them, I’ll let you know what they are!hahahah
Haha I've never owned a trochus and the crazy thing is if they did hitchhike it tools months for them to appear...I was wishing and praying they were nassarious since we have six in each tank because they are my favorite lol...i will send you some next batch.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I've never owned a trochus and the crazy thing is if they did hitchhike it tools months for them to appear...I was wishing and praying they were nassarious since we have six in each tank because they are my favorite lol...i will send you some next batch.
That should be very soon!

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails don't actually reproduce very well in aquariums, I'd say it's either baby trochus snails or collonista snails. Their shape is also incorrect to be nass snails.

TheMattReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a steady breeding population of nassarius snails in my tank, to the point of having to cull the herd once a month or so by about 100. I use a makeshift “sandflea rake” if you’re familiar with fishing on the coast. Holes big enough for the sand to not get stuck, and small enough to keep the snails in. Also have a smaller breeding population of what I think are collonistas, but am in the process of verifying right now.

Nassarius snails don't actually reproduce very well in aquariums, I'd say it's either baby trochus snails or collonista snails. Their shape is also incorrect to be nass snails.

98C10CC8-EB9C-4B8B-99E1-1ED83471389C.jpeg

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like baby trochus snails to me. Those also tend to reproduce fairly easily in most tanks. I’ve got babies all the time from mine.

A month or two sounds about right. I pulled my trochus from my tank quarantine tank and noticed babies over a month later. I suspect they were there all the time, but were probably too small and hiding in crevices in the live rock. If they are on your sand bed, they’ve probably depleted all the food (algae) on the rock.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like baby trochus snails.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a steady breeding population of nassarius snails in my tank, to the point of having to cull the herd once a month or so by about 100. I use a makeshift “sandflea rake” if you’re familiar with fishing on the coast. Holes big enough for the sand to not get stuck, and small enough to keep the snails in. Also have a smaller breeding population of what I think are collonistas, but am in the process of verifying right now.

98C10CC8-EB9C-4B8B-99E1-1ED83471389C.jpeg
I'm aware that some people have had some success with breeding nassarius snails in captivity, but it's very uncommon compared to Trochus snails. Do you know what species you have? Nassarius vibex?

sushi_and_sashimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My single trochus from algaebarn is getting HUGE. He's squirts semen in the tank at least a few times a week. I need to get him a girlfriend. Or, if it's a her a boyfriend(s).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back