Are these deals good enough for me to dive in?

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this post and topic is OK, I haven't seen anything saying it is not. I am curious on the community's feedback on these deals that just popped up locally (within 60 to 90 minute drive) for me, from 2 sellers. I've been working on a build list/process and was looking to go with a Red Sea 350, 425xl, or something along those sizes/setups but these items are going to put me about 50% of total cost output so I may jump in because this really get's me some good pieces that I feel ok with swapping out my original build. Pretty much all items in the second list have their original boxes, and appear to be cleaned very well.

1) Red Sea 650 Peninsula - $2800 Brand New (sump and pipes still wrapped in box, tank is sitting on top of assembled Red Sea cabinet), was a replacement from Red Sea to someone, that then gave it to a friend, who is selling locally. Looks pretty much New but obviously no warranty etc.

Items used for 6 months but look really clean/good:
2) Eshopps s-200 protein skimmer $250
3) Red Sea reef wave 45 $200
4) Aqua FX RODI $100
5) Lifegard UV Sterilizer 40W 3 foot $250
6) Aquarium Max Flipper Float $50
7) Syncra Sicce return pump 6.0 $250
8) 2 Kessil 160WE tuna Sun $200 each (not really interested in these)

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original owner received the replacement and before installing was moving and decided to sell everything. I have added some pictures of the tank and stand.
1. Seems odd that someone would be selling the (new) replacement unit for the (old) defective tank. I'd look at the seams very closely. Does it have the newer corner braces?
3. Ok.
7. Ok.

Attachments

• wholetankandstand2.JPG
    wholetankandstand2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
  • wholetankandstand.JPG
    wholetankandstand.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 22
  • boxed.JPG
    boxed.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 21
  • corner.JPG
    corner.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 17
  • corner2.JPG
    corner2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 23
  • serialnumber.JPG
    serialnumber.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 20
  • stand.JPG
    stand.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 18
  • wholetank.JPG
    wholetank.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 24

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original owner received the replacement and before installing was moving and decided to sell everything. I have added some pictures of the tank and stand.
The great news is that this tank features the new corner bracing that Red Sea started using on all of their larger tanks - and it seems to be a fairly recent manufacturer (Sept 2020). So yeah, -$1200 discount on an essentially new system is a good deal.

The Sicce SDC 6.0 is a great pump - but you may want it to run it for a UV. At 175 gallons you'll most likely want the Sicce SDC 9.0 for a return pump (I use a Sicce 9.0 on my Red Sea 750XXL, which is only 25 gallons larger than the Peninsula 650).

I haven't used the Eshopps skimmer or Lifegard UV (I run Nyos and AquaUV), but perhaps someone else can let you know about this equipment. Forget the Flipper float and get one of the Tunze Care Magnet strongs instead (you need the strong for the glass thickness on the 650). Takes literally 30 seconds to clean a pane of glass... Best of luck!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back