Are these fish compatible with my tank? 100 gallon

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon reef tank that has been running for about 8 months now. I am thinking of adding a couple more fish to the community before the established fish become too territorial for any new arrivals. My current stock is as follows:

Desjardini tang
Powder blue tang
Blue hippo Tang
2 female leopard wrasses
pearly jawfish
2 percula clowns
magnificent foxface rabbitfish
niger triggerfish
strawberry dottyback
canary blenny
white ribbon eel

*The rabbitfish, tangs, and triggerfish are all arranged to be moved to a larger tank or exchanged with my lfs when they outgrow the tank.

Fish I am considering adding are:

flame angel
fairy wrasse
yellow coris wrasse
long nosed hawkfish
mandarin fish
blue ribbon eel

not all of those but I think one or two small specimens would be nice. Things I am concerned about are my large derasa clam being nipped at, my corals being eaten (soft and LPS only), my large cleaner shrimps being attacked, and aggression between wrasses even though they are a peaceful variety. I have a very very large amount of live rock to create hiding spaces, reduce aggression, and sustain copepods.

Can anyone offer advice on the fish I am considering? Are there any other compatible fish that would fit in this community worth considering?

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also maybe a six-line wrasse or a pair of orange-spotted filefish

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the tank. I’m currently in the process of arranging a home for the desjardini and powder blue with a friend. For now they display no signs of stress.

36EEE14D-AC75-4E55-9D3A-49DE63421D88.jpeg FC993636-0A06-422A-8BA4-6019343794EA.jpeg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll know if you have too many fish if:

1) a submissive fish is always hiding among the LR and only comes out during feedings when they get "tail swiped at" and bullied

2) a dominant fish starts to habitually swim in consistent patterns over and over again. The swim patterns are quite obvious.

If the entire community gets along with no "tail swipes" and randomly swims around, your good

Hth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a longnose hawk, you want 2?

actually did my additions already.
Added
long nose hawk
Yellow coris wrasse
Ornate leopard wrasse (still hiding)

tank is definitely fully stocked now I’d say.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) a submissive fish is always hiding among the LR and only comes out during feeding when they get "tail swiped at" and bullied

2) a dominant fish starts to habitually swim in consistent patterns over and over again. The swim pattern us quite obvious.

Hth

ok. That makes me a lot more comfortable. The desjardini is dominant and calmly breaks up any minor agression. No scared fish or stress behavior to date.

comically sometimes the powder blue gives short chase to the hippo tang. Then as soon as it stops the hippo swims right back to The powder blue as if to say it isn’t scared. The powder blue ignores the baby hippo of course.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stay away from Flame Angel, mine was model citizen at first then after about a year it started eating corals. Cleaned out few sps I had and an entire rock island of GSP that I had grown for over 3 years... :(

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. That makes me a lot more comfortable. The desjardini is dominant and calmly breaks up any minor agression. No scared fish or stress behavior to date.

comically sometimes the powder blue gives short chase to the hippo tang. Then as soon as it stops the hippo swims right back to The powder blue as if to say it isn’t scared. The powder blue ignores the baby hippo of course.

It shouldn’t. It really shouldn’t. You have a real powder keg there my friend with a lit fuse. It’s really just a question of when, not if, it will explode, and just how catastrophic the explosion will be. My money is on disease induced by stress from extreme overcrowding and perhaps related declining water quality. The disease will spread like wildfire in those conditions, hope you QTEd. Your best longer term case is incessant and damaging bullying as they age, grow, and crowd that you mitigate by removal in a timely fashion.

BTW, Any kind of stressor, like a power outage, is likely to cause your keg to rapidly and quickly explode, so watch for that, prepare for that, your O2 will fall like a knife, you’ll need a lot of luck and effort to catch it....

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t see the plans to move the two tangs. That’ll help. The pbt in particular is a ticking time bomb.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t see the plans to move the two tangs. That’ll help. The pbt in particular is a ticking time bomb.

Based on what he wrote though.....

ok. That makes me a lot more comfortable. The desjardini is dominant and calmly breaks up any minor

It makes me think he is re-thinking the rehoming, and going with the assumption that this advice trumps conventional wisdom:

Although I agree with Jim, that it would be a sure-sign of “too many fish” if he were experiencing the timidness and hiding, but I think the tank is over-stocked regardless of their current interaction, and also, some of those fish shouldn’t be in a 100 whether other fish are in it or not.

I agree..... time bomb, and I hope he plans on rehoming a couple of the tangs. Hippo for sure

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what he wrote though.....

ok. That makes me a lot more comfortable. The desjardini is dominant and calmly breaks up any minor

It makes me think he is re-thinking the rehoming, and going with the assumption that this advice trumps conventional wisdom:

Although I agree with Jim, that it would be a sure-sign of “too many fish” if he were experiencing the timidness and hiding, but I think the tank is over-stocked regardless of their current interaction, and also, some of those fish shouldn’t be in a 100 whether other fish are in it or not.

I agree..... time bomb, and I hope he plans on rehoming a couple of the tangs. Hippo for sure
Agree with your comments but not sure if your asking me something? I was pretty clear it’s all a mess and ready to blow. The PBT is just naturally the most aggressive, won’t cure the issues, but light reduce them a bit.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with your comments but not sure if your asking me something? I was pretty clear it’s all a mess and ready to blow. The PBT is just naturally the most aggressive, won’t cure the issues, but light reduce them a bit.

I’m just saying I’m not sure he is still planning on rehoming them, by the sound of it. I may be wrong.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry. All fish that will outgrow the tank are going to be rehomed as they grow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back