Are these fish ok for 55 gallon reef tank?

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Can I get more fish or is this a good amount? Thanks!

Clownfish Pair
Wrasse (not sure which but would love suggestions)
Yellow Watchman Goby
Lawnmower Blenny
Scopus Tang (going to get small one and either switch out when too big or upgrade tank)

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish, Goby, Blenny for sure. You might want to make sure the goby and blenny have a good home and their own spot

For a blenny it might be too small. Personally I don't like your idea of buying a scopus tang in expectation of your current tank beeing not enough in the future and possibly having to get rid of the fish.

Wrasse Im not sure about

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those fish work for that? I cant add more right?
I like having a low bioload myself. I think it’s easier to manage nutrients this way. So I have 6 in my 48 inch, 75 gallons.

I think it would work, but be aware the wrasse might spread sand on your corals if it makes a bed in it at night. Some people find that annoying. I know I would.

Start with the more peaceful ones and end with the most aggressive. Add 1-2 then wait a few weeks, then add more. Unless you’re absolutely sure your tank can handle the ammonia.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I like having a low bioload myself. I think it’s easier to manage nutrients this way. So I have 6 in my 48 inch, 75 gallons.

I think it would work, but be aware the wrasse might spread sand on your corals if it makes a bed in it at night. Some people find that annoying. I know I would.

Start with the more peaceful ones and end with the most aggressive. Add 1-2 then wait a few weeks, then add more. Unless you’re absolutely sure your tank can handle the ammonia.
Yeah fs. The reason I wanted a wrasse is because people said it was a good cleaner

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah fs. The reason I wanted a wrasse is because people said it was a good cleaner
A lot of them are aggressive. I believe Fairy wrasses are said to be the most peaceful. There is a guy who writes about them. He calls himself »the wrasse guy ».

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the tang and I'm 50/50 on the wrasse. We had a 6-line in our last 55 that worked out ok, but they can be bullies. Not sure if we're doing one again in this 55.

We had a tang in our last 55 which did not survive (unsure of cause, but it could have been the wrasse..). Everything else was health as could be.

In our 55 (fairly new tank), we have a clown pair, watchman goby (and pistol shrimp), lawnmower blenny. They all get along fine :)

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
A lot of them are aggressive. I believe Fairy wrasses are said to be the most peaceful. There is a guy who writes about them. He calls himself »the wrasse guy ».

Good to know thanks. Is there a better fish you reccomend?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I would skip the tang and I'm 50/50 on the wrasse. We had a 6-line in our last 55 that worked out ok, but they can be bullies. Not sure if we're doing one again in this 55.

We had a tang in our last 55 which did not survive (unsure of cause, but it could have been the wrasse..). Everything else was health as could be.

In our 55 (fairly new tank), we have a clown pair, watchman goby (and pistol shrimp), lawnmower blenny. They all get along fine :)
I see what you mean but I do want more active fish around the tank other then the clowns. Thats why I want the tang and another fish. So it is more intresting to look at and there is more movement other then the corals.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What is the purpose of the fish you want ? You said cleaning, but what ?
So I will have a cleaning crew so should be find but i read that wrasses pick stuff out of corals and rocks. I am getting a cleaner shrimp so maybe not needed. Looking for probably cleaning algae/parasites or just a nice fish to look at if I dont need those stuff.

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasses, two that I would consider, are a pink streaked wrasse, or a possum wrasse, in that order. Both would fit nicely in the tank and are not aggressive. If you wanted a slightly bigger wrasse check out the melonarus wrasse, which should do ok in 55g.

Like others have said, I would avoid the scopas tang, because you might get attached and not want to give him away later, A lawnmower blenny like you mentioned would definitely be better.

I think a general rule is 1 fish per 10 gallons, plus or minus depending on how heavy you want the bio load to be.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
For wrasses, two that I would consider, are a pink streaked wrasse, or a possum wrasse, in that order. Both would fit nicely in the tank and are not aggressive. If you wanted a slightly bigger wrasse check out the melonarus wrasse, which should do ok in 55g.

Like others have said, I would avoid the scopas tang, because you might get attached and not want to give him away later, A lawnmower blenny like you mentioned would definitely be better.

I think a general rule is 1 fish per 10 gallons, plus or minus depending on how heavy you want the bio load to be.
Ok thanks for the wrasse suggestions. I wanted a fish that would be intresting to watch so was looking for something added to the blenny. Will def look into the wrasses tho thanks.

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the wrasse suggestions. I wanted a fish that would be intresting to watch so was looking for something added to the blenny. Will def look into the wrasses tho thanks.
I will say that both the pink streaked and possum wrasse will tend to be shy, while my melonarus wrasse is always out during the day hunting pods and swimming around. So if you’re wanting a fish you can watch, I would lean towards the melonarus. He will probably be one of the biggest fish in your tank though so I would add him after the others. Also make sure you have a sand bed for him to sleep!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back