Are these fish ok for 55 gallon reef tank?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I will say that both the pink streaked and possum wrasse will tend to be shy, while my melonarus wrasse is always out during the day hunting pods and swimming around. So if you’re wanting a fish you can watch, I would lean towards the melonarus. He will probably be one of the biggest fish in your tank though so I would add him after the others. Also make sure you have a sand bed for him to sleep!
I do have sand in my tank so might get one of them. If I can def move the tang when he gets too big do you think that its ok? Thanks

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a Coral Beauty Angel in our last 55 and he did well!

One I'm also considering for flare is a Midas Blenny.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the dwarf angels need 70 gallon tanks. Looking from liveaquaria.
Coral beauty maxes at 4 inches, even less for cherub or flameback. Even a flame angel isn’t much bigger than 5-6 inches last I checked.
My coral beauty is in a 40B, that’s probably as small as I would go but I’ve heard of them in smaller doing great. It’s really about the risk of them eating corals, the smaller the tank amplifies that risk.
Fwiw, when mine was in qt, it cleared the tank of algae.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse would be fine. Very docile fish. Can also consider firefish and cardinals. They are both docile and "active". Firefish are fast and cardinals are in slow motion.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Fairy wrasse would be fine. Very docile fish. Can also consider firefish and cardinals. They are both docile and "active". Firefish are fast and cardinals are in slow motion.
I think I will get the melonarus wrasse and scopas tang with the knowledge that I will need to get rid of him when he gets too big.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will get the melonarus wrasse and scopas tang with the knowledge that I will need to get rid of him when he gets too big.
I have a melanurus wrasse. He is VERY aggressive. He will kill all shrimp. I mean all shrimp. He will kill many clean up crew as well. You have been warned.

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus wrasse. He is VERY aggressive. He will kill all shrimp. I mean all shrimp. He will kill many clean up crew as well. You have been warned.
I guess I should’ve mentioned this, haha, this is true. I don’t keep shrimp or hermits, only snails, so it hasn’t been a problem for me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure the tank is 55gallons and is 48" by 13", has a height of 20" and idk if this matters but the lights 15" above the tank.
IMHO, Lighting does actually matter as some fish prefer being in dim areas and others prefer highly lit areas.
So your tank is a 4’x1’x2’ (I rounded the Height and Width to make it easier).
Do you need more or is that good? I have a sand substrate btw.
What sand is it - Is it a fine sand? And how deep is it?
This will help determine what species of wrasses and gobies you can have.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
IMHO, Lighting does actually matter as some fish prefer being in dim areas and others prefer highly lit areas.
So your tank is a 4’x1’x2’ (I rounded the Height and Width to make it easier).

What sand is it? Is it a fine sand?
It is Caribsea Fiji pink sand. Which is fine sand.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo if you are looking for a working wrasse and don't mind switching out once they get to big and won't put a hurt on your wallet yellow corris wrasse will fit the bill do you have sand?

Back