Are these fish ok for 55 gallon reef tank?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
In a 55 a cryptocentrus would probably be okay, they just are the meaner of the shrimpgobies.
I like the amblyeliotris genus, great colors and size, but very peaceful.
D920DC96-A6AC-4872-96A3-F8FB2935FDC2.jpeg
Do these also have a symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp? Or not because they are a separate species

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand he can be aggressive but I really like him...
I totally get you, I agree with the above about them being alright they can just have a bit of a temper on them. If I remember correctly, Cryptocentrus cyanotanea or Cryptocentrus leptocephalus are more peaceful and should be able to mix with other goby species if you were to want other species in the future.

My personal favourite shrimp gobies have to be; Cryptocentrus leucostinctus, Amblyeleotris randalli, Amblyeleotris diagonalis and Stonogobiops yasha.
Do these also have a symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp? Or not because they are a separate species
All of these genera have a symbiotic relationship with pistol shrimp;
Stonogobiops, Cryptocentrus and Amblyeleotris (I may be missing one or two but these are the most common genera people come across).

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I totally get you, I agree with the above about them being alright they can just have a bit of a temper on them. If I remember correctly, Cryptocentrus cyanotanea or Cryptocentrus leptocephalus are more peaceful and should be able to mix with other goby species if you were to want other species in the future.

My personal favourite shrimp gobies have to be; Cryptocentrus leucostinctus, Amblyeleotris randalli, Amblyeleotris diagonalis and Stonogobiops yasha.

Stonogobiops, Cryptocentrus and Amblyeleotris (I may be missing one or two but these are the most common genera people come across).
Ok thanks so much! Ill look into those

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Hows the mandarin Goby?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the mandarin Goby?
Actually, that’s the funny thing, Mandarins are often sold with the common name of gong but in fact arent gobies. Gobiidae (The “True Gobies”), Microdesmidae (The Firefish family), Callionymidae (The Dragonet family), Opistognathidae (The Jawfish family), and Malacanthidae (The Tilefish family) are all often put under the large group of fish known as Gobies due to share it VERY similar characteristics. If I remember correctly these families are all closely related to eachother however I could be wrong (When it comes to closely related families I tend to mix them up).

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Actually, that’s the funny thing, Mandarins are often sold with the common name of gong but in fact arent gobies. Gobiidae (The “True Gobies”), Microdesmidae (The Firefish family), Callionymidae (The Dragonet family), Opistognathidae (The Jawfish family), and Malacanthidae (The Tilefish family) are all often put under the large group of fish known as Gobies due to share it VERY similar characteristics. If I remember correctly these families are all closely related to eachother however I could be wrong (When it comes to closely related families I tend to mix them up).
Interesting. So the Synchiropus splendidus (same one) how is he? Aggressive wise and such. Will they eat pellets/flakes? I assume not symbiotic due to your explanation here.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So the Synchiropus splendidus (same one) how is he? Aggressive wise and such. Will they eat pellets/flakes? I assume not symbiotic due to your explanation here.
Stnchiropus splendidus are a much more peaceful fish and actually I find are only aggressive to others of their same species and gender (I think females are compatible but I’m not 100% sure on that). They can eat flakes and pellets however they need to be trained onto them and even then sometimes they go back to their strict wild diet of Pods. They aren’t symbiotic however can be kept with “other” gobies. Food wise they can be extremely picky and do need an established and growing pod population - It’s often recommended to keep them with a refugium.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, these will pair with shrimps. Anything called a shrimpgoby will. Tiger or Randall’s shrimp works for them.
Mandarin dragonet (and all dragonets) have a highly specialized diet and eat exclusively pods. Some can be trained onto frozen and prepared foods, mostly the captive bred dragonets. They get very expensive to feed in small tanks and are easily outcompeted by other pod eaters. Very peaceful and beautiful fish.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Stnchiropus splendidus are a much more peaceful fish and actually I find are only aggressive to others of their same species and gender (I think females are compatible but I’m not 100% sure on that). They can eat flakes and pellets however they need to be trained onto them and even then sometimes they go back to their strict wild diet of Pods. They aren’t symbiotic however can be kept with “other” gobies. Food wise they can be extremely picky and do need an established and growing pod population - It’s often recommended to keep them with a refugium.
Ok good to know. How do I create a refugium. I dont really want another tank but I cant dose pods or smth? Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know. How do I create a refugium. I dont really want another tank but I cant dose pods or smth? Thanks
If you can get an area for algae to grow in the tank then IMHO you have an in tank refugium - I have also found that dosing pods does wonders for the pod population! I have 9 fish in my max nano as I mentioned, and 6 of them are pod eaters however almost every week for the past 1.18 years I have dosed pods (3 bags from my LFS) and it went around a 1.5 months without pods and still had them thriving.
As long as you have enough food for the pods to feed on (Phyto is often used) and a good breeding ground for the pods you should be just fine.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you can get an area for algae to grow in the tank then IMHO you have an in tank refugium - I have also found that dosing pods does wonders for the pod population! I have 9 fish in my max nano as I mentioned, and 6 of them are pod eaters however almost every week for the past 1.18 years I have dosed pods (3 bags from my LFS) and it went around a 1.5 months without pods and still had them thriving.
As long as you have enough food for the pods to feed on (Phyto is often used) and a good breeding ground for the pods you should be just fine.
Ok. How much do pods cost? I cant really go to LFS each week so is there any available online? Also how would I create a space to grow algae and it wont be bad for the tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. How much do pods cost? I cant really go to LFS each week so is there any available online? Also how would I create a space to grow algae and it wont be bad for the tank?
I think @AlgaeBarn may do them if you’re in America, over here (UK based) I think if you find a good Sea Horse breeder then they may have pods available too.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a youtube video or something about how to make the refugium (in tank or out)?
I think there is, if you search up how to make/set up a refugium on youtube then it will show you a few videos about them.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@i cant think I watched a BRS video and just want to make sure. You buy a HOB or in tank refugium and put some rocks and algae in it and you have it? Do you dose some copepods and then after they grow just take out clumps of algae and shake them in your tank? Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think I watched a BRS video and just want to make sure. You buy a HOB or in tank refugium and put some rocks and algae in it and you have it? Do you dose some copepods and then after they grow just take out clumps of algae and shake them in your tank? Thanks
I think that you can do that or you can just let the pods catch flow and make their own way into the display.
Personally I think if you shake the algae every so often into the main tank it’s got a higher chance of pods making it into the main display.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back