Are these fish ok for 55 gallon reef tank?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think that you can do that or you can just let the pods catch flow and make their own way into the display.
Personally I think if you shake the algae every so often into the main tank it’s got a higher chance of pods making it into the main display.
Ok. But I have to dose the refugium with the pods then sometime later I can bring them into the tank right

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question. I have 2 Viparspectras v165s over my 55g. Do I need another light for the refugium? Cause I see that they recommend lights but that seems a little excessive.
If I remember correctly the main light is if the refugium is in the Sump/under the tank and no light gets to it. If it’s outside of the cabinet and getting light to it then I think it should be alright

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care is pretty simple, I haven’t kept wheelers but have kept its close cousin the aurora goby. Very easy and undemanding fish, they take to pellets pretty fast.
+1 to this, generally I have found all Stonogobiops, Amblyeleotris and Cryptocentrus species to display a very similar behaviour and care.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just put dr tims one and only and dr tims bacteria. Should the powerheads be on?
I didnt do it with the power heads on however I don’t think it matters personally.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@i cant think Umm live aquaria says that the leopard wrasse is "expert only" This is what they say,
"Expert Only
Organisms in the "Expert Only" category are very difficult to maintain in captivity in the long term. The requirements of many of these corals and invertebrates are specialized, and may need to be kept in a species-specific aquarium. These species are best kept by the most advanced hobbyists and research institutions. A well-established reef aquarium is a must for these species."

Do you know why? Thanks

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@i cant think Umm live aquaria says that the leopard wrasse is "expert only" This is what they say,
"Expert Only
Organisms in the "Expert Only" category are very difficult to maintain in captivity in the long term. The requirements of many of these corals and invertebrates are specialized, and may need to be kept in a species-specific aquarium. These species are best kept by the most advanced hobbyists and research institutions. A well-established reef aquarium is a must for these species."

Do you know why? Thanks
nvm found some explanations

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Expert Only

Do you know why? Thanks
I believe this is more innacurate/outdated information. Leopard wrasses were believed to be impossible to keep due to many species not eating or being very difficult to get to feed frozen/prepared.
Now specimens that are already eating are much more readily available.
The other issue is how they can often come in with mouth issues and other diseases/injuries. It’s relatively easy to avoid them though - If they behave normally and show no signs of disease or injury then you should be alright.

I do own a blue star leopard (Hoping to branch out into the genus after keeping this girl long term). She’s proven much easier to keep, and whilst they peck at the rock they don’t go haywire like Mandys do. Another way these are easier in care is they will wait to be fed whereas mandarins rarely eat (Even BIOTA mandarins can go back to their wild diet).

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I believe this is more innacurate/outdated information. Leopard wrasses were believed to be impossible to keep due to many species not eating or being very difficult to get to feed frozen/prepared.
Now specimens that are already eating are much more readily available.
The other issue is how they can often come in with mouth issues and other diseases/injuries. It’s relatively easy to avoid them though - If they behave normally and show no signs of disease or injury then you should be alright.

I do own a blue star leopard (Hoping to branch out into the genus after keeping this girl long term). She’s proven much easier to keep, and whilst they peck at the rock they don’t go haywire like Mandys do. Another way these are easier in care is they will wait to be fed whereas mandarins rarely eat (Even BIOTA mandarins can go back to their wild diet).
Ok. So in your opinion I could have one? Is it ok to feed flakes/pellets?

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get more fish or is this a good amount? Thanks!

Clownfish Pair
Wrasse (not sure which but would love suggestions)
Yellow Watchman Goby
Lawnmower Blenny
Scopus Tang (going to get small one and either switch out when too big or upgrade tank)
Those tangs get kinda big. If you’d get a smaller tang you could keep it till it’s pretty big, your stocking doesn’t seem bad.

I have a 60 breeder 48x18x16. 2 clowns, a kole tang, a six line wrasse and a flameback angel. They were happy in the 40 breeder, they’re happier in the 60 breeder. So your 55 to me is fine besides that one tang, main problem is your tank is narrow and that bothers a fish when it gets bigger. 12inches is narrow it’s why I got rid of my 55g and got a 40 breeder, than now just got the 60 breeder

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So in your opinion I could have one? Is it ok to feed flakes/pellets?
IMHO, if they have a variety in their diet they are much healthier, I feed mine mysis and brine then also have a bunch of microfauna she can feed on. When she goes into the 4’ tank I’m hoping she will gain the same algae eating behaviour as my larger wrasses.
00A5CC2E-ADE9-46EE-9BC1-B32CEAF92D9F.jpeg

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
IMHO, if they have a variety in their diet they are much healthier, I feed mine mysis and brine then also have a bunch of microfauna she can feed on. When she goes into the 4’ tank I’m hoping she will gain the same algae eating behaviour as my larger wrasses.
00A5CC2E-ADE9-46EE-9BC1-B32CEAF92D9F.jpeg
Ok Ill start with the others and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back