OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll work.

IMO. You’ll want one the size of the tank.
Don’t pay attention to watts. (Dimmer) A 16” 165w can fry your 30in tank but only half. If it. Lol.
So a 300w is exactly the same light. Just twice as long.

Sorry I’m not sure how wide the tank is.
It’s 36”

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 36”

So you'll ideally want to get 2 of th BB. Or keep the low light corals on the side and more light demanding corals directly under it.
You shouldn't have to worry about LPS or SPS for awhile since you are still cycling the tank by the looks of it? SPS shouldn't be added until your tank is mature, 10-12 months IMO.

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you'll ideally want to get 2 of th BB. Or keep the low light corals on the side and more light demanding corals directly under it.
You shouldn't have to worry about LPS or SPS for awhile since you are still cycling the tank by the looks of it? SPS shouldn't be added until your tank is mature, 10-12 months IMO.
My tank finished cycling last Thursday

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understood saltyfilmfolks correctly, it's 300W @ 1% power so you're not using much power. Should add to the longevity of the unit and future-proofing of your tank.

this might be informative: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/we-fi...box-led-compare-notes-brstv-investigates.367/
Yup. A fwiw, my SB reeflight at a distance of 12in at 1% will give you about 200-250 par. Most all BBs are about the same.
(I’d highly suggest pulling lenses)

For the life of me , I don’t know another moderately priced (150 max)Led light for a 36 in tank that would do well.

As the tank is spanking new, I’d suggest the magic Reefing ingredient, patience.

An older maxspect razor is pretty awesome , usualy go for under $200. A new 30 32 B.B. is about 175. Hmmm.

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. A fwiw, my SB reeflight at a distance of 12in at 1% will give you about 200-250 par. Most all BBs are about the same.
(I’d highly suggest pulling lenses)

For the life of me , I don’t know another moderately priced (150 max)Led light for a 36 in tank that would do well.

As the tank is spanking new, I’d suggest the magic Reefing ingredient, patience.

An older maxspect razor is pretty awesome , usualy go for under $200. A new 30 32 B.B. is about 175. Hmmm.
So you think I should wait a little bit? Also if you don’t mind could you link the cheapest one you know of?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I should wait a little bit? Also if you don’t mind could you link the cheapest one you know of?
I think you can afford the time to take a look yea. Get some basic corals going maybe.

You’ll be happier if you do I think.
New zoas in a new tank might not be a great idea anyway.

This is the no frills model at 160.
Ones with a timer and ramp used should come up at about that price

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can afford the time to take a look yea. Get some basic corals going maybe.

You’ll be happier if you do I think.
New zoas in a new tank might not be a great idea anyway.

This is the no frills model at 160.
Ones with a timer and ramp used should come up at about that price
Oh really? I was told zoas are easy n hardy

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But low light and in a new tank. It’s pretty iffy.

Your looking at leathers , shrooms xeanias etc.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 300w is a lot for a 30g.
The 180 and 165 watt lights are quite adequate for LPS & SPS but may need to be dimmed down a bit, particularly for softies.
Here's something to consider:
If you eventually want to work your way up to raising Acros, you might want to reserve the mid portion of the tank for them as the lighting is more intense.
Around the edges and near sand bed level you can place your other corals.

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks David,
It just sounded like a power bill killing and a coral destroyer for something that small.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you are antsy to get corals, but I really think you'd be throwing money away at this point. Your tank is very new. Your lighting is inadequate. And it' hard to tell from the pics, but your live rock looks suspect. Is it actually live rock? It looks very dense, ideally you want very porous rock.

I know you're on a budget but this hobby isn't cheap. With that said, look at the for sale section here, lots of adequate lights pop up for fairly cheap. A 2 or 4 bulb t5 fixture would be good, or a cheap metal halide setup. Led's can be nice, but you generally have to pay more for them.

Most Zoanthids are not super delicate, But they will need a stable tank with decent lights. Maybe try some mushrooms first, or xenia.

Best of luck

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m trying to stay on a Budget. So what can I “risk” keeping? Keep in mind they need to be beginner corals
Green Star Polyps are pretty fun but can get out of control - could also try discosoma mushrooms

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back