Are these prices serious? Who buys this stuff?

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inflation has been outpacing wage growth for years. While I understand the frustration with high coral prices, I think it would be more appropriate to focus those frustrations on our economy and labor market.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s funny how a coral has to have a name or it isn’t worth money. I’ve dropped money on “collector” corals in the past but now I just like having a nice looking tank. I wait till the nice looking stuff is out of fashion and buy it then

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres an interesting article on both sides of this. the bottom line - it works both ways...

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...-feels-wages-arent-outpacing-inflation-even-/
I had read this article previous to your linking. I think it is an interesting article. I wish the article would have stated the parameters used to reach such conclusions. It comes off a bit anecdotal. With that being said, the concluding sentence says that (paraphrased) income growth ( for some) doesn’t feel as though it is keeping up with the growth of the economy. I think it’s sentiments like these, that lead to threads like this. I think it is wrongheaded to focus on the price of coral, when the real issue is societal.

Alex716796

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a little crazy for those torches I mean yes pricing has definitely gone up since the Indo ban but $500 for what was a $50 torch last year is crazy. They currently go for $150 for a couple heads. I mean not knocking WWC they are an awesome company but pricing it’s getting a little crazy

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about supply and demand. If the prices were too high, the corals wouldn’t sell and vendors would drop their prices to move them. They seem to be doing quite well at current prices so someone is buying them.

Perfect example... I paid $2500 for a one of a kind golden retriever puppy recently and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Most other people would not pay that price for any dog. Supply and demand.

I’m curious what made it one of a kind? It had siblings, right? So...

I wouldn’t pay that even if it was a literal gold (en) retriever.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m curious what made it one of a kind? It had siblings, right? So...

I wouldn’t pay that even if it was a literal gold (en) retriever.

Well - firstly - its parents - are they show quality? Do they have championship pedigrees? Is the dog 'pet quality' or 'show quality'. Is the dog well socialized - or has it spent its puppyhood in a crate most of the time. You must not know 'the dog world'. A show quality dog with a good pedigree from a reputable breeder - with the appropriate genetic testing and parents with an excellent temperament that is allowed to be bred - or shown (AKC certified) by the purchase contract can easily sell for that amount. Thats not high-priced. Its not a puppy mill dog that you pick up at a gas station for $400....

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - firstly - its parents - are they show quality? Do they have championship pedigrees? Is the dog 'pet quality' or 'show quality'. Is the dog well socialized - or has it spent its puppyhood in a crate most of the time. You must not know 'the dog world'. A show quality dog with a good pedigree from a reputable breeder - with the appropriate genetic testing and parents with an excellent temperament that is allowed to be bred - or shown (AKC certified) by the purchase contract can easily sell for that amount. Thats not high-priced. Its not a puppy mill dog that you pick up at a gas station for $400....

Yeah, I get all that, but I specifically asked Land Shark what made that puppy one of a kind.

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 is max for any livestock in my tank, thats just me though

I can find corals that i love for far less than that

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is rather buy a normal looking coral for a fair price then pay these sharks to perpetuate this cycle. I’d rather have a full, healthy and boring tank.

Plus all these rare and custom corals are bs. I want my tank to look like a little corner of a rocky reef.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 is max for any livestock in my tank, thats just me though

I can find corals that i love for far less than that

Agreed. Although, honestly, any single thing in my tank is $100 max. I paid $85 for a yellow tang two months ago, and rescued a (now completely awesome) 4” PT with HLLE for $45 a month before that. I just dropped $200 on my first bunch of corals and I got 6 frags and a 6” long tentacles nem.

I was looking at a 7” long by 3” wide war favite colony dual color for $65, but I went for a 1x1” frag for 15 instead. Dual color, it won’t take long to grow out. Plus the pride of seeing it grow is worth something too.

Saying that- I think I stocked my first 55gal 15 years ago for total of 400, so it’s definitely become more expensive. More fun though, this time round

Michael Gilbreath

we all have are ways
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the name game someone puts a fancy name on something it becomes collectable so price goes up or its the latest and greatest piece of equipment so has high price or its a big name brand. But bottom line comes down to if you don't want to spend the money don't buy. I can afford what every I want but I limit my self I don't need the latest or the super duper rare named coral or equipment for me to enjoy my tank. Its more about a healthy tank I can enjoy and relax watching.

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the name game someone puts a fancy name on something it becomes collectable so price goes up or its the latest and greatest piece of equipment so has high price or its a big name brand. But bottom line comes down to if you don't want to spend the money don't buy. I can afford what every I want but I limit my self I don't need the latest or the super duper rare named coral or equipment for me to enjoy my tank. Its more about a healthy tank I can enjoy and relax watching.
Agreed

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5459a5608d5971698fd77d7299cc9f5f.jpg
fa8293cad229d6087e979ee8f36f15eb.jpg
e122910cda9850785a5a4dd50365657b.jpg

I am literally speechless. Am I missing something. $800 for a single head torch. $500 for an average trach?

Those are the prices at LFS I go to lol, so dang expensive.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I get all that, but I specifically asked Land Shark what made that puppy one of a kind.

I missed the 'one of a kind' part as well (but - its not a high price for a dog - is what I was referring to:)... Now I'm curious as well what made it one of a kind @Land Shark

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So people will pay 10K for a 6-8 ft tank with all the right equipment for a reef...but they won't pay half that to fill it with nice fish and corals? That's like buying a 500K lot to build your 100K house on... Stop paying so much for the tank and equipment and you will have more to spend on what is in it. Also most those items are also on their site much cheaper if you buy a small piece and let if grow out. Do you know how long it takes to get aquaculture corals to a large size in a store? If you want large and cheap buy from the ocean where the item will be unnamed most likely not as pretty and covered in pest you got to get rid of.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't have time to read the 17pages here right now. I will come back... Am I the only one here ok with paying the higher prices? Yes I was around 8yrs ago... yes I think the prices are higher now... people are willing to pay what they are willing to pay. Maybe if some of these people payed the $100s of dollars for a frag, they wouldn't kill as much of it.
Also the people that are collecting the corals could prob use a lil more money. Hopefully they are getting some of it!
-d

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im actually curious - I read posts on several threads where people are buying 10 packs of frags. Or it seems like they are buying frags every week. I do it differently - I bought large pieces to cover the area on my rocks. it prevents algae - it looks better than frag plugs (IMO). And can't be as expensive. I think people should pay for whatever they like whatever amount they like. I think I'll start a poll - about what percentage of frags actually 'grow into colonies':)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back