Are wrasse immune to brook/velvet?

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that had 2 clowns, a yellow citrus wrasse, a royal gramma, a bang ai, and a blenny. I believe they caught brook but it might have been velvet. After a few days of first visible symptoms they were all dead other than the yellow wrasse. It has been three weeks and my wrasse still has no symptoms. Are they resistant to the disease. I set up a quarantine that is at the end of cycling for the wrasse. But if a wrasse can not carry the disease I don’t want to stress him in copper for no reason. So can wrasse carry it? And if they do carry it, do the symptoms just not show for a few months longer, or are they asymptomatic but still carry the disease?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are resistant to protozoans because of their thick slime coats - they are not immune to them. A wrasse can harbor parasites without showing symptoms and be "typhoid Marys".

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
Wrasse are resistant to protozoans because of their thick slime coats - they are not immune to them. A wrasse can harbor parasites without showing symptoms and be "typhoid Marys".
So if I left the wrasse and never added any new fish, the wrasse would live a full life?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I left the wrasse and never added any new fish, the wrasse would live a full life?
It's possible, but unfortunately it's also possible that the wrasse could still end up showing signs of whatever disease killed your other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are prone to velvet (Amyloodinium), but I don't think I've ever seen one with Brooklynella. Since clowns and royal gramma are very susceptible to Brooklynella, I'd guess that is what they had. I always wait at least 45 days past the last fish death before adding any new fish (and of course, the new fish should be fully quarantined).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually , they are likely to end up with protozoan and/or bacterial issues and even flukes.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually , they are likely to end up with protozoan and/or bacterial issues and even flukes.
? I did not say they didn’t get protozoan infections. Wrasse are well known to harbor parasites.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
? I did not say they didn’t get protozoan infections. Wrasse are well known to harbor parasites.
I thought you mentioned they were resistant to protozoa. Perhaps someone else???

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you mentioned they were resistant to protozoa. Perhaps someone else???
LOL yes I did. They can be resistant to active infection but still be carriers. My first post I guess didn’t come across the way I intended.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back