Are you a boy? Or a girl? Help with sexing banggai cardinalfish?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female Banggais are supposed to have one vent, while males have two. But I can't tell if this fish has one or two vents. The first vent is clearly visible, but the triangular "hump thing", I'm not sure if it's a vent or just the result of being gut loaded with baby mollies....can I get somebody to help me ID this fish? Thanks!
IMG_4480.jpg
IMG_4481.jpg
IMG_4482.jpg
IMG_4483.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know that Chad Vossen has had good luck pairing Banggais with this method, but it is difficult for me so I have always resorted to watching their behavior (I used to try to focus on jawline). Good luck!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always forget who is who but it worked well for me in the past. I would say this one has two vents and the genital papilla is pointy like I would expect it with a male.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always forget who is who but it worked well for me in the past. I would say this one has two vents and the genital papilla is pointy like I would expect it with a male.
Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I'm glad it's a male! This means I can go ahead with getting another pair of fish and switching out the males with the females!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back