Are you a gear junkie or enjoy simplicity in your setup?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimalistic for me. It is easier to manage and less things to malfunction.

If the reef gear was as high functioning as some apple products or other tech products or such then I may feel different. But reef gear is mostly ugly, blocky, and primitive compared to what stuff can be in 2021.

I have an apex, it came used with a tank and it’s useful for some stuff but still ugly and primitive :p

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran controllers for years on my reef, like I was the first to buy an AquaController 2 from Premium back in like 2003 for like $1200. In the last 5-8 years I have moved away from controllers and now do not use any except a simple pH controller for the calcium reactor.

I like Simplicity :)

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby, I'm a gear junkie and programming junkie for automation, and I am unapologetic to myself about it. I'm a network security nerd by trade so integration and automation is kind of a thing. :) I want the best environment for the livestock, so for me that means using technology. I know many have been around the hobby a long time and are able to create amazing environments, but I'm not there yet so I want to be sure I have some help.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d never run a tank without my controller. Wnen the new tech is working right it just makes my tank more stable which ultimately leads to success

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I love all those gadgets and controllers and stuff. But in my country things are kind of expensive and you gotta pay that stuff directly. So, if I would go for a bigger tank, I would def. go big from the beginning.

As I only run a small 20g nano, I think its just too much to add controllers, dosers etc. for such a small tank.
Or do you think its still worth for such a small tank?
I run 2 (20gal) reef tanks . One with no skimmer and only hang on back filter,other with hang on skimmer and hang on filter. Just do water changes of a few gallon a week. No controller on these and tbh seems just as nice as my other two bigger tanks(210&55gal)that have controller, ato. Really just need good lights and water movement and couple live rocks for the smaller tanks IMO.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be a gear junkie, but I'm realizing my tank just needs simplicity for now. HA

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gear junkie. I like having automation for my tank since I’m gone for 3 or more days at a time several times a year

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither gear junkie nor simplicity, I look if there are problems and then get gear to solve them. I don't get any gear just because it sounds cool, if I want to buy something cool I buy corals

The problem with KISS is that that involves you or someone you pay constantly babysitting and worrying, I want to be able to leave my tank alone for a couple weeks, KISS doesn't let you do that

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the gear junkie/KISS aspect of our hobby is what makes it appealing to so many people. You can be successful in this hobby with either methodology. Just pick the method that works best for you or whichever you are more comfortable with. No right or wrong ways.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These days I’m more hands on, just power strip s and timers, Manuel test and a testing. I’m retired and would rather spend the money expanding and livestock.
I like the high tech stuff and have used in past but really don’t see a need nowadays.
I understand why people like having things automated .
I’m retired and home much of the time so trying to save time isn’t an issue

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confess, I'm a recovering Gear Junkie. However, my goal has always been to have a "successful" reef, which almost five years in to my current 90 gal mixed, I think I finally do. Is it the gear that makes it successful? Probably not; but it does make it easier to take your eye off the ball for a while and let it idle. I travel ~3-4 times a month for 3-4 days at a time, so having a monitor (Apex in my case) is a must.

It took about four years to accumulate: Apex Controller, Hybrid lights, DC skimmer, UV, 2-Part Dosing set up, good Powerheads. It's been a fun and expensive journey, but I love finally having everything just like I I want it, and not sorry to skip looking for the "next big thing". It's been challenging and fun to work towards, but hope I'm done buying gear at this point, at least until I upgrade (don't tell my wife). Now the tank is almost full of coral, I'm more than happy to watch and observe the fruits of my labor flourishing!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the only "tech gear" I run on my tanks is the Auto Top-off. All of my tanks are lidless and I lose a lot to evaporation. My work schedule often leaves me about 4 hours a day at home to sleep. ATOs at least keep the tanks filled until I have time to do my regular maintenance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back