Are you a goni guru? Which statements in today’s poll are NOT true about goniopora?

Which statements in the poll are NOT true about goniopora?

• Goniopora have a distinct flower-like appearance

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Goniopora primarily reproduce asexually through fragmentation

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Goniopora are filter feeders

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Goniopora are sensitive to changes in water quality

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you a goni guru? Which statements in today’s poll are NOT true about goniopora?

Goniopora corals, often called gonis, are beautiful corals with distinctly shaped polyps that resemble small flowers which is why they sometimes are referred to as flowerpot corals. These corals can be a bit of a challenge for some, but others have readily been able to keep them successfully. What is your experience? Do you have any tips to share? What do you think makes a goni guru? Tell us about your experiences with goniopora corals in the discussion thread!

LivingReef_Goni.jpeg

LRO Firecracker Goniopora; photo by @Living Reef Orlando

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are coral that can be beautiful yet challenge the most experienced hobbyists and can be great one day and wither the next. Goni are photosynthetic corals and gain their energy source from light for color and energy. Inadequate light will cause them to change color and even shrink. If there is a change in lighting you will have a basis for determining issues. Water flow has a similar effect - too much flow will kill some of its cells and can start a reaction with other gonis in the tank. Moderate to medium flow is a must to keep their tentacles swaying to keep debris off of them and deliver food in which they regularly. Adding aminos to the tank is a plus for their health.
Some good foods are chopped krill, mysis shrimp, phyto and zooplankton. Im not a fan of powdered plankton foods as they can raise phosphates quickly but they work well with goni and alveopora.
Assure no3 and po4 Not elevated. Also having some Manganese in the water helps them to reduce stress in general and its important to have Mag at 1300-1350 to help stabilize CA and ALK level consumption

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love them but I don’t know if I’m a guru yet. I hope to someday have the large flowing gardens that I’ve seen. Here’s my little collection….
CE30EE98-2C3D-4E20-B0A0-9C0CEF1A94CE.jpeg
9CF0C980-C645-48CE-AD62-DB70728FBDE6.jpeg
75ACB6CB-08FE-4466-A548-74253067947B.jpeg
9699D478-4597-4EF7-A848-D66AD6815169.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love goni’s !!! I have about six of them and they have been with me for years now . Like vette guy says is true about lighting and I will add that changes in parameters that happen quick will also affect them . They also need to be fed directly for best results . Broad spread is ok to keep them going but direct feeding will make the flourish . I use a mixture of finely cut up / ground up mysis shrimp , benepets powdered plankton which doesn’t raise phosphates , phytoplankton, and I mix it with oyster feast . Using a pipette I apply to every extension . This I do twice a week , on alternate days I dose aminos , fuel , and or Red Sea ab plus .

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink strain that has been with me for a long time. Found it thrown in the back of my rock work was one polyp and now is a decent mini colony. Some of my gonis have gone through a few tank mishaps and bottomed out nutrients. I am lucky they have been some of the hardiest corals I’ve had.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert and my reefing experience time is less than a year, but I found Goni’s when I was researching and they were visually one of my favorite corals.
After keeping all my softies and LPS alive for the a couple of months, I decided I wanted a challenge and picked up 3 different Goni’s. Purple looks the best, green looks ok, and pink could be better. It never extends like the others and looks slightly washed out. I hope it can turn around.
They live in moderate-low light, and low flow. I feed them roids a few times a week. So far, I like them a lot and already see some growth but I’m staying proactive with maintenance to keep them happy as I hear they can be moody.
08EE3624-BE05-4DDD-94CD-0B4A473BBF1C.jpeg BF947933-50C1-4214-A93E-A0CE147CE8A7.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back