Are you a Reefer who's constantly trying to dream up a groundbreaking idea?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm constantly reading posts where it's basically saying....

"I got this idea to do (fill in the blank) and I need your consideration to fully back my idea...."

What makes a person dream up things thinking after 40 solid years of Marine Biology....... that they're the only one who just dreamt up the golden world-changing idea

You never see a hobby like motorcycling where hobbyist are dreaming up Front Wheel Drive Harleys with rear steering.... Lololololololololol

Guess this hobby lacks Best Practices and leaves a canyon-wide gap open to interruption

Thoughts?

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"I got this idea to do (fill in the blank) and I need your consideration to fully back my idea...."

What makes a person dream up things thinking after 40 solid years of Marine Biology, they're the only one who just dreamt up the golden world-changing idea?

What happened to: be quiet, listen to the smartest, most experienced person in the room and keep it simple stupid..... ?

Thoughts?

I mean, I think listening is important, but at the same time, if people didn’t dream things up or think outside their experience level we literally wouldn’t have anything. As in all of human invention. So, while I may scoff at some ideas and laugh at people who claim they’re going to solve the effects of climate change on reefs with their 20g aquarium, I’m not going to tell people to not think up new ideas or help them with whatever knowledge I have if I think it’s a novel or useful idea, even if they’re new to the hobby (or whatever the area the idea applies to).

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What makes a person dream up things thinking after 40 solid years of Marine Biology....... that they're the only one who just dreamt up the golden world-changing idea

You never see a hobby like motorcycling where hobbyist are dreaming up Front Wheel Drive Harleys with rear steering.... Lololololololololol

Guess this hobby lacks Best Practices and leaves a canyon-wide gap open to interruption

Thoughts?

it may be 40 years of marine biology, but there are some basic things that we still do not understand. So it is not about documenting best practises but more like we still ways to go before developing a good understanding of the biological processes and how it can impact reef keeping.

For example, what is the proportion in which corals consume nutrients ? What trace elements are important and how much is needed ?
what causes RTN/STN in corals ? how can we fix that?
What causes cyano bacteria ? How do we eliminate dinos in a reef?
What is the ideal strains of bacteria that we need to have in a tank ?

and on and on....

So anyone trying new things to explain or prove a hypothesis is actually doing a lot of good... should be encouraged rather than discouraged.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

I've seen some great ideas over the years... I've seen some absolutely horrific ideas.

My take is like all things in reefing and life..."Nothing good comes quickly"

I prefer to wait. I'll never be known for innovation in this hobby. But I'm also not potentially losing out on $$ by expirementing. I get paid to do that at work, but there's much less reward on a small personal level, with greater individual risk.

At least from my perspective.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may be 40 years of marine biology, but there are some basic things that we still do not understand. So it is not about documenting best practises but more like we still ways to go before developing a good understanding of the biological processes and how it can impact reef keeping.

For example, what is the proportion in which corals consume nutrients ? What trace elements are important and how much is needed ?
what causes RTN/STN in corals ? how can we fix that?
What causes cyano bacteria ? How do we eliminate dinos in a reef?
What is the ideal strains of bacteria that we need to have in a tank ?

and on and on....

So anyone trying new things to explain or prove a hypothesis is actually doing a lot of good... should be encouraged rather than discouraged.
Just to rabbit-hole... Is STN/RTN even a correct term? Is it actually necrosis or some other biological process that expels zooanthellae we aren't completely aware of yet?

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to rabbit-hole... Is STN/RTN even a correct term? Is it actually necrosis or some other biological process that expels zooanthellae we aren't completely aware of yet?

Exactly my point, we dont know. I have heard theories that its when pathogens ( bacteria, virus) breach the mucus layer when there are stress events. The point is there is so much to discover yet,

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say with quite a bit of confidence that if our knowledge and understanding of the hobby was the same it was a few decades ago ot would still be an extremely rare niche hobby. Challenging the status quo is how advancements are made.

Sure i look at many of these and my first thoughts are that is ignorant. Many of them i am sure i am correct....but the ones that prove the accepted practices/equipment/etc wrong is how our hobby advances.

I still remember when the only commonly accepted answer for what was a good nutrient level was undetectable.....or the thought that a tank could be safe for fish in a matter couple days using "snake oil" bacteria bottles was just laughed at....or when people cared about nitrite....or some of the crazy beliefs about treating ich .......

Could go on and on about crazy ideas and how they changed the hobby for the better. Having said that I do see a ton of posts that drive me nuts about people who seem to want to defy the common ways of doing thing just so they can say it is possible. Which in itself is fine, but my issue is when they preach to others to do the same....ie tapwater is fine for a reef tank....or nobody needs to dose if you do water changes, etc.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

I'd take a guaranteed way to make an anemone host clowns.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What makes a person worry about somebody else coming up with ideas?

As for 40 years of established marine science....this hobby has evolved massively in the past 10 years alone with nutrient mgmt and lighting going through huge changes....most of it driven by lone hobbiest and small electronic integrators. You see all the funky colors used on high end LED reef lights? That's because they started copying what us DIYers were doing.

The "best practice" part is fairly amusing. "Best Practice" in this hobby consists mostly of do a water change to solve every problem...and create more nutrient swings.

We used to use dead shrimp to cycle tanks. Then somebody came up with idea to just use straight ammonia....

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the components that I think the hobby misses is sound and I decided to install an audio system under the tank.

I created a sound file with 24 hours of a mix of reef sounds and it's in synch with the programming of the pumps . The pumps simulate 2 high tides during the day.

RS3.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-104657_AQLink V2.jpg

The sound file begins at 10 PM and it begins with calm reef sounds, mostly clicks from shrimp.

In the morning, as the pumps increase speed, the sounds of a more active reef increase.

When the pumps get to 120% (they're overclocked), the sound of the waves is really loud.

I have one of the speakers right beneath the bottom glass and the other facing the front of the tank. The subwoofer is at the bottom of the cabinet.

The funny thing is the synchronicity of the pumps and sound is really noticeable, not just because of the movement of some corals, but also the sound of the surface agitation, because the 2 pumps are attached to the eurobrace.

I don't know if the fish can hear it and if they do, if they like it. I do.

It changes the way I perceive the tank because it reminds me what I hear when I dive and snorkel.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have airplanes been around?
Or cars?
Or democracy. Lol.
It takes time yo.
I can argue that a wc is or was the best practice when the time is right or its needed?
I can also argue the dead shrimp or ghost feeding is better than straight amnonia?
Its like the kardashians or canadians. Not everyones cup of tea. Two ways to skin a cat. Lol.
Im tired.

I would like to hear someone ideas. Thoughts. Opinions on advancements in the hobby. What does it look like 50yrs from now?
D

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the arrogance of thinking that we're the first one to have a certain idea, nothing would new would ever be discovered.

Most of the time we're wrong when we think that (or at least, we're wrong in thinking that we're the first to think of something, and that the thing we've thought up is worth thinking up). But sometimes - yes. Sometimes, we are the first one to have a particular idea. I can remember when the idea of striving for anything other than 0 nitrates, 0 phosphate was heresy. When you wanted to feed the absolute bare minimum that you could, and when UV was simply a gimmick. Anything that skipped water changes was a foolish idea and could never work. Or, taking it outside of reefing, history is littered with people who insisted that they were right and everyone else was wrong - and they were right.

Science and best practices are constantly changing, and without people who are willing to try out things that might not work, we wouldn't ever develop anything better. Yes, most of the time the person who thinks they're going to change the world is wrong. And there are some things that just plain don't work. But sometimes, we're all the ones who are wrong and the 'fool' who's trying to do things differently is right.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the components that I think the hobby misses is sound and I decided to install an audio system under the tank.

I created a sound file with 24 hours of a mix of reef sounds and it's in synch with the programming of the pumps . The pumps simulate 2 high tides during the day.

RS3.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-104657_AQLink V2.jpg

The sound file begins at 10 PM and it begins with calm reef sounds, mostly clicks from shrimp.

In the morning, as the pumps increase speed, the sounds of a more active reef increase.

When the pumps get to 120% (they're overclocked), the sound of the waves is really loud.

I have one of the speakers right beneath the bottom glass and the other facing the front of the tank. The subwoofer is at the bottom of the cabinet.

The funny thing is the synchronicity of the pumps and sound is really noticeable, not just because of the movement of some corals, but also the sound of the surface agitation, because the 2 pumps are attached to the eurobrace.

I don't know if the fish can hear it and if they do, if they like it. I do.

It changes the way I perceive the tank because it reminds me what I hear when I dive and snorkel.
Cool idea!
So very true, anyone who goes diving or snorkeling can witness first hand the effects of sounds underwater. Watch the shoaling fish as a motorboat passes overhead and you'll notice many of them darting for cover. So I would imagine that if there are sounds that scare them there would also be sounds that put them at ease. Imagine an aquarium with small waterproof speakers in it emitting whale songs, fish grunts or other mating calls. What a trip that would be. Even with externally mounted speakers I'm sure the fish hear it. I can be looking at my tank while my wife makes dinner. Every time she clangs some pans together most of the fish dive for cover. (All except the Copper Band, he always has to check out everything.;Watching)
All great inventions are developed through many failures.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piano in the same room and I've tried to scare the fish, playing high and low FFF chords but they don't react at all.

I've read that putting sounds of a healthy reef on a dead reef helps in bringing the fish back.

Regarding the difference between external and internal soeakers speakers, I don't know how it affects the fish perception of sound.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good ideas help us and the bad ideas entertain us. I personally enjoy seeing and hearing about them both.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noop .... more than happy to relax on my couch, listen to some 70s progressive rock and poke holes in others ‘groundbreaking’ ideas LOL. Occasionally one IS interesting, though many are truly stupid. Scrubbing bubbles you know who you are ....

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. -Steve jobs

everything around you was invented by somebody

Anyone that doesn't believe a single person can change the world clearly never ate a medium rare bat.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back