Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc?

Are you more of a giver or taker when it comes to the reefing community?

• Giver

Votes: 272 59.6%
  • Taker

Votes: 184 40.4%

• Total voters

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the giver/taker role shifts between newer hobbyists vs. seasoned ones. Newer hobbyists tend to need more hand holding and a bit dryer in resources as they first start. But seasoned hobbyists not only have a bunch of retired equipments sitting idle, but also an abundance of coral growth or critters reproducing in captivity that they can afford to give away more.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was definitely a taker at first, lurking in the shadows unknown guest for about 3 years, taking in all the information i could find.
now 3.5 years in my tank is starting to come back on the upswing of things. i definitely enjoy giving information that i have experience with either from the hobby or things that my professions (cnc machinist current or my 6 years of electronics in the military)

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to give back to the community. Kids and work say I don’t get too. One day when the kids have left the tank (aah aah, see what I did there) I’ll inundate you all with messages and pictures, maybe even something useful from time to time.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
1600470001446.gif

lefty54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a wannabe for now, too busy to commit at this time. Also possibly moving from northeast to southwest, so don't want to setup large tank only to take it down. This soon will be my new hobby in retirement, so for know I am grateful to learning from all of you.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to be a giver until a taker takes advantage of the situation and has no restraint. Sharing experiences is the easy part of the hobby. Once you venture into giving away things out of your tank, a lot of takers pop-up; hence takers taking advantage of situations. I like to call them "lurkers" ;). They are always on the prowl looking for the next sucker.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your role?

Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc? Maybe you are live rock or grains of substrate, an invert that cleans up the mess or a cleaner wrasse that helps others with problems? What role do you play in this virtual saltwater aquarium system of a community we call Reef2Reef?

I was thinking this morning about how each and every one of us have a part, a role, in making this aquarium community the best it can be. We can either be an old grumpy maroon clown fish that stays to ourselves, only comes out to eat and bites anyone who comes close or we can be like a cleaner shrimp who is sweet, friendly, willing and ready to help others when the need arises.

We are all playing a part. We're all playing a role. We are either giving and taking or we are just taking. The fact is that in this ecosystem of a community we all are very important. Whether you are new or are considered an expert in this hobby we all have a place and a part to take in making Reef2Reef a beautiful, healthy, thriving, reproducing, saltwater aquarium system.

So I have some questions for you today. Hopefully we will come out from hiding behind the live rock and be truthful and honest. It's hard sometimes to look at ourselves in the light of self examination but we can be a better community if we will! We want to stay healthy and thriving! We don't want algae to take over the beautiful reef of a community we have here! So let's talk about it today!

1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? Remember even the smallest of roles contributes to the health of a community!

2. What area do you think you, as a member of R2R, need to work on and be better at?

we are family giveaway.jpg

1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? Remember even the smallest of roles contributes to the health of a community!

Whether you're dealing with individuals or business here. You always got to remember this. Treat others as you want to be treated.

2. What area do you think you, as a member of R2R, need to work on and be better at?
We're here when we can, but the way the world is today we need to remember. Man does not live on bread alone.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef?

Answring this feels self serving to me. I will do my best to be honest without being conceded.

A. I try to answer questions each day, that I can, in the unanswered post section. I look for ones I am confident that I can answer or ones that have had no response I’m at least a day. I don’t want people feeling like they are being left out or that they are not worthy of a response. I know it can be frustrating when you don’t get a response.
B. I watch for (locals) that may have had tank crashes and will offer them some free frags when they restart. This has been more on the FB side of R2R.
C. Contributing via my build thread.
D. Actively answering the QotD.
E. Supporting R2R financially

A. Getting to know some of the other members personally. It is the personal touch that spurs people on to greater things and more interactions imho, at least for me it does.
B Expanding my knowledge and confidence in that knowledge to do more to help my fellow reefers.
C. Being more, consistently, active.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm a scavenger...my pump, skimmer and light are all used...diy hood, sump and stand....so probably a hermit crab as i've taken advantage of stuff others have disposed of....and after about 50 years in this hobby the personality is definitely on the crabby side as i have very little sympathy for the whiners out there (but i shut up and hide in my shell rather than say anything)....and just scurry about trying to pick up whatever bits of information i can use...unfortunately most of the advice i can give is based upon "dont do this i failed miserably" rather than "do this it works"

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loads of great comments especially from the "takers", as you learn you do and will give back, "What is this star fish?" questions I can skip now or at least look at answer one as a newer or more established reefer has answered it! :)

In my tank I am my flame angel, very inquisitive and a bit naughty! ;)

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your role?

Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc? Maybe you are live rock or grains of substrate, an invert that cleans up the mess or a cleaner wrasse that helps others with problems? What role do you play in this virtual saltwater aquarium system of a community we call Reef2Reef?

I was thinking this morning about how each and every one of us have a part, a role, in making this aquarium community the best it can be. We can either be an old grumpy maroon clown fish that stays to ourselves, only comes out to eat and bites anyone who comes close or we can be like a cleaner shrimp who is sweet, friendly, willing and ready to help others when the need arises.

We are all playing a part. We're all playing a role. We are either giving and taking or we are just taking. The fact is that in this ecosystem of a community we all are very important. Whether you are new or are considered an expert in this hobby we all have a place and a part to take in making Reef2Reef a beautiful, healthy, thriving, reproducing, saltwater aquarium system.

So I have some questions for you today. Hopefully we will come out from hiding behind the live rock and be truthful and honest. It's hard sometimes to look at ourselves in the light of self examination but we can be a better community if we will! We want to stay healthy and thriving! We don't want algae to take over the beautiful reef of a community we have here! So let's talk about it today!

we are family giveaway.jpg
Im think im a giver cuz I have been through basically every problem new reefers experience, and im still pretty new. When I have a problem, Reef2Reef -> find out what the problem is -> do even more research, and find out even more about my problem, so I can help out new reefers struggling. Plus I have a HUGEEEE knowledge of biology and animals. When I go to the LFS with my family its like "hey whats this? ANd that?" ANd Im like " Hippo tang, cyphastrea, xenia, gem tang, ..." XDD

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to give back to the community. Kids and work say I don’t get too. One day when the kids have left the tank (aah aah, see what I did there) I’ll inundate you all with messages and pictures, maybe even something useful from time to time.
I'm with you. One of my goals is to start collecting some of the "high end" corals, grow, and frag them to offer the community "affordable" corals that's aren't just bread and butter, and to help balance out some of the hypes.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm a scavenger...my pump, skimmer and light are all used...diy hood, sump and stand....so probably a hermit crab as i've taken advantage of stuff others have disposed of....and after about 50 years in this hobby the personality is definitely on the crabby side as i have very little sympathy for the whiners out there (but i shut up and hide in my shell rather than say anything)....and just scurry about trying to pick up whatever bits of information i can use...unfortunately most of the advice i can give is based upon "dont do this i failed miserably" rather than "do this it works"
nothing wrong being an opportunitist! I think the general cost in the hobby actually makes everyone a scavenger, and in some ways, an inventor at some point to help cut some corners.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this topic. It is very different from ones that I've read before on R2R but with similar subjects. It's more what you think of yourself to be. I think I'm going both ways, being that I'm an old-timer. I'm learning new things that were not available when I started, let alone having livestock at your finger tips,, forums, knowledge, and supplies. Everyone of us has experienced some sort of dilemma along with our successes. I enjoy this level of the hobby so much more than in the past. Plus knowing that if something should arise I can always get help or visa versa.:rolleyes:.
Sorry so long winded

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF68ECAF-0B34-4BAB-97FD-DA14C4679F95.gif

Giving it all our all, Rev! Lol

5BF7B7B8-1691-481F-805E-3C112D4D3EB7.jpeg

BIG SHOUT OUT TO THE #reefsquad! They are some of the biggest givers on the planet, along with every member! You all are contributing to the forum, givers and takers!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back