Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc?

Are you more of a giver or taker when it comes to the reefing community?

• Giver

Votes: 272 59.6%
  • Taker

Votes: 184 40.4%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose Giver. At one point I was a Taker. We feed off of other's knowledge. Once you reach a certain maturity in the hobby you start to create your own ideas and methods. While you are still learning as always and feeding off of other's knowledge you aren't a 100% Taker. You are forming your own knowledge based on what you know and what you are acquiring at that moment. I have been a part of this hobby for around 15 years, I am still learning but my ideas are based on the science I learned way back then. The hobby is always advancing though and ALWAYS more to learn.

DrG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid that right now I'm mostly a taker. I've been in and out of the hobby for about 30 yrs. I haven't kept up to date for the last 6 to 7 years. Right now I'm trying to update my knowledge, so I'm like a sponge. The only info I can give, is the results of my multitude of mistakes I made in the distant past. Which i will freely share with anyone going down the same misguided path :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? Remember even the smallest of roles contributes to the health of a community!

2. What area do you think you, as a member of R2R, need to work on and be better at?

1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? I try to answer questions about problems with which I have had issues and or expertise. I also like a good honest discussion - with evidence - if available.

2. What area do you think you, as a member of R2R, need to work on and be better at?
I don't think your server has enough memory for my response. But - I tend to be somewhat blunt - which can come off as 'rude, mean, etc' - which - most of the time - is not intended (see this is an example- I could have left off the 'most of the time' part - but it was a joke).

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that I'm an asset by no means but I am a giver. In the 3 yrs I've been into reefing I've learned a great deal, allot of course was trial and error but saying that I have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge and my opinion is that as long as you give it your all and never claim to be above anyone then there's a chance we all will succeed. I have to say as part two of the question I'm very weak when it comes to all this internet stuff and I know I could be so much further then I am. But I am proud to say I'm growing sps and my tank is dominated with em. I have commissioned @acyrlichabitats to build my custom sump with my Instagram logo and soon to be YouTube channel. I'm a very humble person as I go by the humble reefer. Life has a way of humbling you. I've lost my son of 20 yrs to a fatal accident, a daughter that fights to live daily with cystic fibrosis and me myself have blood cancer and disabled due to my bones degenerating. I've had some help from a friend that has told me to make your mark in this hobby and pass your knowledge and generosity onto other's and that my goal. Thanks for reading my story and remember, always be humble and help each other as for we all are battling our own battles.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your role?

Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc? Maybe you are live rock or grains of substrate, an invert that cleans up the mess or a cleaner wrasse that helps others with problems? What role do you play in this virtual saltwater aquarium system of a community we call Reef2Reef?

I was thinking this morning about how each and every one of us have a part, a role, in making this aquarium community the best it can be. We can either be an old grumpy maroon clown fish that stays to ourselves, only comes out to eat and bites anyone who comes close or we can be like a cleaner shrimp who is sweet, friendly, willing and ready to help others when the need arises.

We are all playing a part. We're all playing a role. We are either giving and taking or we are just taking. The fact is that in this ecosystem of a community we all are very important. Whether you are new or are considered an expert in this hobby we all have a place and a part to take in making Reef2Reef a beautiful, healthy, thriving, reproducing, saltwater aquarium system.

So I have some questions for you today. Hopefully we will come out from hiding behind the live rock and be truthful and honest. It's hard sometimes to look at ourselves in the light of self examination but we can be a better community if we will! We want to stay healthy and thriving! We don't want algae to take over the beautiful reef of a community we have here! So let's talk about it today!

1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? Remember even the smallest of roles contributes to the health of a community!

we are family giveaway.jpg
I’m a pink face wrasse.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? I try to answer questions about problems with which I have had issues and or expertise. I also like a good honest discussion - with evidence - if available.

I don't think your server has enough memory for my response. But - I tend to be somewhat blunt - which can come off as 'rude, mean, etc' - which - most of the time - is not intended (see this is an example- I could have left off the 'most of the time' part - but it was a joke).
You are the devils advocate of reef2reef. A very good one at that.

I don’t always agree with what you have to say but you make very good cases for your point of view and also provide a lot of food for thought on subjects I hadn’t considered.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the forums I like to welcome new members. Within my area I like to do trades and I give away my fair share of frags as well. It’s an insurance policy in case something happens in my tank. A few of the other Reefers have done the same with me as well. I do also sell corals and usually at a huge discount. a local reefer gave me a Monti cap to frag and sell for him as he only has a nano tank right now and I’m just hosting the coral so he can make a little cash off it. Helping others is what I like To do

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I get a tank up and running after my move I don't have much to offer since I have been out of the hobby for 15 years or so. I try to give what I can in knowledge (limited as things have changed drastically) so I do a lot of welcoming of new members. I got a great welcome when I joined so I figured it might be something I can contribute.

Other than that I take knowledge, inspiration, and tolerance of all the bad questions I ask! ;)

4TheLoveOfReefs85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your role?

Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc? Maybe you are live rock or grains of substrate, an invert that cleans up the mess or a cleaner wrasse that helps others with problems? What role do you play in this virtual saltwater aquarium system of a community we call Reef2Reef?

I was thinking this morning about how each and every one of us have a part, a role, in making this aquarium community the best it can be. We can either be an old grumpy maroon clown fish that stays to ourselves, only comes out to eat and bites anyone who comes close or we can be like a cleaner shrimp who is sweet, friendly, willing and ready to help others when the need arises.

We are all playing a part. We're all playing a role. We are either giving and taking or we are just taking. The fact is that in this ecosystem of a community we all are very important. Whether you are new or are considered an expert in this hobby we all have a place and a part to take in making Reef2Reef a beautiful, healthy, thriving, reproducing, saltwater aquarium system.

So I have some questions for you today. Hopefully we will come out from hiding behind the live rock and be truthful and honest. It's hard sometimes to look at ourselves in the light of self examination but we can be a better community if we will! We want to stay healthy and thriving! We don't want algae to take over the beautiful reef of a community we have here! So let's talk about it today!

we are family giveaway.jpg
I am 100% like the beneficial bacteria in all of our tanks! The beneficial bacteria are known to keep the water crystal clear and prevent toxic ammonia and nitrite from accumulating. These amazing little fellas live in the filter media and on solid surfaces within our aquariums, such as gravel, rocks, plants, and decorations, but it takes time to get them established.
Like me, I am here to keep new, running, and pre-existing minds within the reefing fields crystal clear (so to speak ;) to prevent instances from the accumulation of issues we didn't know, haven't thought about or ideas that are uniform to make things just a little easier for our day to day tasks! And since I am extremely new here (hahaha) it will take me a little bit of time to get established in R2R's Family, just like our beneficial bacteria, however, with the things that I know, there can never be too much that I can give of my knowledge. Just like beneficial bacteria! All hail the bioload!

4TheLoveOfReefs85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a giver by nature but I’m less than 1 year into the hobby so I had to vote “taker” for right now as so many people from my local reef club have given me corals and help and advise and equipment that I needed in a pinch. I definitely would not have the tank I have today without them. Now that I have learned, I do try to comment on posts that I can actually give an intelligent comment to. And I have given away some coral frags and an urchin and some mushrooms that reproduce like bunny rabbits but that’s it thus far. Hopefully soon I will be able to move my check mark over to the “giver” side!!
You would be surprised how much you already know just by the ability to maintain your own salinity levels. You can give someone advice on many levels, you just have to let the right one catch your eye!

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone else say, I'm feeling as a cleaner shrimp, or probably between cleaner shrimp and beneficial bacteria. By nature I'm giver, but since I'm in the hobby I'm probably 60/40% giver/taker, because sometimes I'm looking around in the threads where the people ask questions and need help, make my own researches and including my knowledges (just from 3-4 years) I'm doing all my best to can help, because I member how I was feeling when I start and was asking for many things how to be done, was taking knowledges here and there from other experiences. So more likely the cleaner shrimp, because still I need food to eat (have some questions and things which can't answer by my self), and the same time helping to clear/clarify whatever I can for the newer reefers.

Kinds Regards

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am some type of fry. hard to tell what i will be when i get larger, hungry all the time, try to eat everything but can only swallow small things, experimenting and hiding from the big scary movers, big eyes, small fins, joyful! when i find other fry,

one of the things i try to remember is the fog of communication. when i read a question, i do not always understand what is being asked. when i read suggestions i do not always understand what is the perspective of the writer. sort of like hearing a foreign language that i partially know and based on my limited vocabulary try to add my two cents to the conversation. If i am that way, how many others on here are too?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the things i try to remember is the fog of communication. when i read a question, i do not always understand what is being asked. when i read suggestions i do not always understand what is the perspective of the writer. sort of like hearing a foreign language that i partially know and based on my limited vocabulary try to add my two cents to the conversation. If i am that way, how many others on here are too?

Love this, I am on a fbook group, very friendly and helpful.
About 2 weeks ago a new member asked about a set up she had bought, complete and running, it was really hard to read what she typed.
One of the first comments was "That made my brain hurt deciphering that!"
Her response, "I'm dyslexic!"

Everyone including @Paul B was a newbie at some point! ;)

cnye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a piece of fish poo, floating serenely in the current. I may be lucky & incidentally feed a coral, but mostly I’ll just silently offend & contribute nothing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back