Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc?

Are you more of a giver or taker when it comes to the reefing community?

• Giver

Votes: 272 59.6%
  • Taker

Votes: 184 40.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is your role?

Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc? Maybe you are live rock or grains of substrate, an invert that cleans up the mess or a cleaner wrasse that helps others with problems? What role do you play in this virtual saltwater aquarium system of a community we call Reef2Reef?

I was thinking this morning about how each and every one of us have a part, a role, in making this aquarium community the best it can be. We can either be an old grumpy maroon clown fish that stays to ourselves, only comes out to eat and bites anyone who comes close or we can be like a cleaner shrimp who is sweet, friendly, willing and ready to help others when the need arises.

We are all playing a part. We're all playing a role. We are either giving and taking or we are just taking. The fact is that in this ecosystem of a community we all are very important. Whether you are new or are considered an expert in this hobby we all have a place and a part to take in making Reef2Reef a beautiful, healthy, thriving, reproducing, saltwater aquarium system.

So I have some questions for you today. Hopefully we will come out from hiding behind the live rock and be truthful and honest. It's hard sometimes to look at ourselves in the light of self examination but we can be a better community if we will! We want to stay healthy and thriving! We don't want algae to take over the beautiful reef of a community we have here! So let's talk about it today!

1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? Remember even the smallest of roles contributes to the health of a community!

2. What area do you think you, as a member of R2R, need to work on and be better at?

we are family giveaway.jpg

Last edited:

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere between a grain of substrate and a cleaner shrimp (a proud cleaner shrimp of course that likes to show off pictures when the opportunity arises and get a bunch of likes). I avoid confrontation and often second guess posts but I do my best to share my limited knowledge and experience with those is a similar situation. I take, as we all do, the fun of being involved and the overload of information everyone here provides. I hope this is accurate but I'm sure there are a few out there who start to come across my name and think differently :). Maybe I haven't been on here long enough to find my Lex.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently I'm a taker being new to the hobby and starting to build my first tank, maybe someday ill be a giver when I know more. :)

Well contributing here is giving and so you are doing that at least in part! One way you can give more now is by welcoming new members, sharing the community with others etc.. You may be doing that already! Welcome!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I'm like a BTA... Got my foot dug in so deep, you'll never get me out...but hopefully I'm at least a good host. :cool: ;Smuggrin

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself being more of a giver in life. I try to be very low key, and am always quick to share any and all knowledge I have. I am a Jack of all trades and a Master of none for sure. I am always happy to welcome new members and I try to answer the simple questions I come across on here. I hate it when I come across people complaining about having to answer the same question over and over, and I thinks it's very rude when people answer questions with just use Google. I try my best to not be that person in life and on here.
People in general need to realize that just because something is easy and simple to you, the next person may not find it that way. Teach and man to fish and he will eat for life. Telling a man to throw a line in the water with a hook and bait is not teaching, it's just giving very basic information. If you do not have the patience to explain where the fish are hanging out and what they are eating, then just move along, or point them towards someone who is more willing to spend the time actually teaching, and not just telling them what to do.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly feel more giving in the hobby. I'm always on R2R either scrooling through for fun, or helping answer what questions I can. For my more local reefing community, I enjoy selling frags at very reasonable prices or just giving some away to new hobbyists. I find I can't help myself when it comes to giving really. Once someone came to my place to buy 2 frags, and I ended up tossing in 3 free ones and a protein skimmer I wasn't using to help with some water quality issues they were having. The hobby can be very stressful at times, but I've relied on the positivity of the community in the past to push through, and have had several people be very generous to me early on. Paying it forward now that I'm able makes me feel good that I'm helping others stay in the hobby and keep it enjoyable for them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think is your best asset is to the community of Reef2Reef? Remember even the smallest of roles contributes to the health of a community!
My dedication to harassing R2R leadership into updating their build threads with pictures. ;Troll ;Troll ;Troll

2. What area do you think you, as a member of R2R, need to work on and be better at?
Finding more time to spend on R2R. :( It's been elusive lately but things should slow down in a few weeks.

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to think I'm a giver since I give away tons of zoas and mushrooms to locals for free or a very low price. I also try to answer questions and respond here or on the rare occasion when I know the newbie in the LFS if giving horrible advice to the newbie shopper. It's rare but I have followed one or two into the parking lot and offered a different opinion on things like, oh yes, just get a Biocube and a week later you can dump fish even tangs into it with no problem. Yes. it's been that bad once or twice in my LFS. Looking back, I was given pretty poor advice when starting out from the same place and suffered for it. So I'd like to think I'm a giver to assist others starting out.

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to give by welcoming folks and fostering a positive tone. I know I don't have all the answers but im good at research and know folks have make the mistake you or I are about to make. I like to encourage folks that R2R is the place to search or ask questions before making those mistakes.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a giver by nature but I’m less than 1 year into the hobby so I had to vote “taker” for right now as so many people from my local reef club have given me corals and help and advise and equipment that I needed in a pinch. I definitely would not have the tank I have today without them. Now that I have learned, I do try to comment on posts that I can actually give an intelligent comment to. And I have given away some coral frags and an urchin and some mushrooms that reproduce like bunny rabbits but that’s it thus far. Hopefully soon I will be able to move my check mark over to the “giver” side!!

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I am a little bit of both, but more taker than giver on here. I ask a lot of questions and get great some great advice on this site. I have given some advise and honestly my accuracy has been 50/50 but I try to only chime in on topics I am sure about. I'm not always right but luckily someone usually comes along and corrects me.

Out here in the real world though I am definitely a giver. I always have chaeto to give away and I like giving away frags to new hobbyists.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back