Are you careful about "endorsing" reefing products and what does it take?

How often do you "endorse" reef aquarium products?

• Every Chance I get

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Only In Certain Situations

Votes: 247 45.8%
  • Not Too Often

Votes: 170 31.5%
  • Never

Votes: 77 14.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a person's results should be looked at before taking advice from them. A look at my tank would demonstrate that an ED endorsement from me is mo guarentee of success. That being said, I will promote my Kessil lights, and reef octopus skimmer to anyone who asks.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who and how someone endorses a product makes a difference. A regular reefer can only state from their own experiences but others may have a different perspective. It is like this site has sponsors and advertising so how much should the owners push a product but then they should be able to speak about their own experiences on a product good or bad. Since there are so many ways to approach things and every salt out there will work it all comes down to opinion. BRS does a lot of good testing but not everyone has the same experience as them with a product or method. So I ask more questions than products I recommend.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind recommending products that I've used but I hesitate to ever say something is the "best" because so much varies from tank to tank and even budget to budget. I also like to qualify my experience with said product as use cases can vary drastically.

I try to run a low maintenance tank so I tend to gravitate to equipment that is easy to maintain, requires only infrequent maintenance, or reduces the amount time I need to spend on the tank. However, mileage will certainly vary, and it's important to know that just because product x worked for person A doesn't mean it will work as effectively for person B. This becomes especially true for additives as much is dependent on husbandry practices, or the lack thereof lol!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I like something until I don't

R2R is the Bestest ;)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very selective with what I use and dont endorse anything I havent tried or currently use. With that said, I dont really have much to endorse because I use very little.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my sweat equity speak for its self. I do let everyone know what I'm using.

20200125_180307.jpg 1313313-d2cb3c61cf16d5da8360f08c466fa434.jpg 20191224_104313.jpg

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a part of another forum I was a reviewer of products, I am not sure if one would call this an endorsement. But I would only comment on the products that I used and had first hand experience with. Often I would show pictures of my results that I achieved with said product, I would also discuss honestly and my opinion of course as to where these products fell short.

There are lots of opinions out there and new reefers need to understand while a product or method might work well for them, it may not work simply because they have a different setup, or have applied a different methodology which would cause an adverse reaction to the new method.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only endorse tried and true products, ones that I've had personal experience with. Radions, Tunze, Vortech pumps and powerheads, Geo CaRX etc .

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you mean by "endorse" ? I am quick to share my experiences, but I wouldn't necessarily call that endorsing.

NanoKaren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever endorsed quality products and equipment. If I'm not familiar with the product, I do my research before accepting any offers. I think credibility is important. I wouldn't push something I wouldn't use for my own tank.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I have only slightly more experience at this hobby as our Schnauzer. So for me to endorse anything it carries little weight. I will tell people what has worked for me and share my experiences.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I endorse what I can but I speak about all products I come across. No company compensates me so I always share the truth about products I use whether good or bad. I have even had some information deleted off of forums because my facts and opinions went against sponsors. I even was threatened legal action from one place.

SplishySplashy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love waterbox aquariums. Loved my 10 gallon my first tank and love my current tank the 70.2. Was a little nervous about a tank with a sump but they make it dummy proof video instructions to set it up and recommend products that will fit with the tank

Couldn't have said it any better! I went with the waterbox 80.4 and haven't regretted my decision.

Regarding the questions, i personally recommend or leave reviews if the products over exceed or work really well. Innovation or automation is another plus from me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back