Are you doing this with your aquarium return pump? Maybe you should be!

Do you have your return pump on it's own circuit?

• Yes

Votes: 103 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 605 82.2%
  • Other

Votes: 28 3.8%

• Total voters

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dual pumps each on their own separate 20amp breaker so if one goes out the other is running. But also make two separate 24v backup battery systems in case power failed. So I guess double redundancy. I call it peace of mind!!

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I'd ever consider it. DC pump on apex with battery backup. Some things are more critical, like if you're running a UV which could easily trip a breaker when it goes bad. Have that issue constantly with koi ponds.

9 tanks, backup pump and power supply for two largest tanks (run cor20s on both). Never had a pump go out but power supplies are a different story and worth their price in gold (well almost).

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vectra pump is plugged in to my Apex with alarms set up if any changes in amp draw. There is a concrete wall with about 7 feet of dirt behind my tank so running a new circuit to that area when we moved in wasn't really an option.

I do have a back up (my old Sicce Syncra).

I have to confess, I'm not as diligent about cleaning my return pump as I am other pieces of equipment. I'm not sure why I put it off. It's a simple matter to unplug it and unscrew it from my return plumbing.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have return pump and protein shimmer on same circuit. When I turn the return off, I want the skimmer off so it doesnt overflow when that water level rises in the sump.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tips and QOTD today! It's simple but could really save your tank one day! Your aquarium return pump is the heart of your system and needs to be running at all times and there are some things you can do to make sure it is always pumping! Breakers can get tripped, power strips can quit working and pumps get dirty and can stop pumping! Here are a few tips and I hope that you will share some of your own.

1. If at all possible have your aquarium return pump on it's own circuit.

2. Plug your return pump directly into the electrical outlet. Don't use a power strip or even an aquarium controller.

3. Clean your return pump regularly to keep it running smoothly and efficiently!

4. Make sure the return intake of your pump isn't restricted.

5. KEEP A SPARE PUMP FOR AN EMERGENCY!

Do you have your return pump on it's own circuit and do you think that is necessary? What about these other tips?

Please share any tips you have for making sure your return pump is running at all times!

1599828729743.png
Plugging mine into a separate outlet now.. I have a spare but didn’t think of the strip failing! ;Facepalm

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two pumps and the system can operate on one but I think it is important to have the pump bearing replaced from time to time. My pumps seem to be good for about 18 months between rebuilds.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on running 2 Ecotech M2 pumps. I plan on plugging then into different EB832's, at least that way if one go's bad the other one will continue to run.

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many are aware, but some may not be, it is rare for a circuit to be wired to a single outlet and really in almost all homes would require specifically having this done by an electrician. Thus, this concept of plugging your pump into an outlet that is not the same as the outlet for your other equipment may be a false sense of security. Furthermore, if you are an Apex user (or similar) you may miss the opportunity to closely monitor the electrical usage as a means of monitoring pump function.
I did have a 20 amp circuit wired specifically for my marine aquarium and when I had a recent electrical disaster (due to all the bedroom window AC’s running simultaneously at full power and taxing an old house electrical system) I was able to see from 3000 miles away that the problem had not been proceeded by dysfunction of any of my tank equipment.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tips and QOTD today! It's simple but could really save your tank one day! Your aquarium return pump is the heart of your system and needs to be running at all times and there are some things you can do to make sure it is always pumping! Breakers can get tripped, power strips can quit working and pumps get dirty and can stop pumping! Here are a few tips and I hope that you will share some of your own.

1. If at all possible have your aquarium return pump on it's own circuit.

2. Plug your return pump directly into the electrical outlet. Don't use a power strip or even an aquarium controller.

3. Clean your return pump regularly to keep it running smoothly and efficiently!

4. Make sure the return intake of your pump isn't restricted.

5. KEEP A SPARE PUMP FOR AN EMERGENCY!

Do you have your return pump on it's own circuit and do you think that is necessary? What about these other tips?

Please share any tips you have for making sure your return pump is running at all times!

1599828729743.png
All these outlets go to GFCI circuit.

Screenshot_2020-09-11-17-54-45-1.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spare pump yes.
Tank room has 4ea 20 amp circuits.
Enough said

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with return pump on its own circuit bypassing a controller like apex.

My tank has its own circuit. Having the return pump plugged into my controller will let me know if the pump fails, unlike having it plugged into wall. I can also monitor the power it consumes, identifying if something is up with the pump. Like to know where you are getting this advice from...

If my pump does fail, I'll be alerted and I'll swap it out for the spare I have saved. Also have battery backups for my PH which is more important for gas exchange. I see plugging it into the wall actually makes this more unsafe.

It’s really pros and cons though isn’t it! For many, apex is the proverbial ‘all your eggs in one basket’ .... works great until it doesn’t. I actually think for most tanks, having the main pump connected outside the controller IS good practice. There are plenty of ways to know if the pump fails using flow or float switches. I do connect mine through my apex because I need a turn on delay after a power loss to prevent impeller back spinning (and pump burnout); otherwise I’d connect it directly to the wall.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my new build I ran its own circuit, trying to avoid any issues. But everythings on one circuit, not seperate. I should have done that for my other tank but it didn't dawn on me

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the return pump off the controller; it provides a few conveniences (easy on/off for water changes or maintenance) and it also allows me to monitor power draw. Anything outside the "norm" (about 1.8a) would indicate a reason to investigate potential issues. I do have a spare return pump.

Most important in my opinion, is to have some way of keeping water movement in the display (battery backup for the MP40s in my case). My tank can run without the sump almost indefinitely provided there is water movement in the display. With that said, the battery in my backup is dead and needs to be replaced.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the entire reef tank system on two separate circuits. And the pump is on a four hour battery back up, plus I have two other battery backups I can switch out in case of a long power failure. I clean the pump about every three months or so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back