Are you happy with your saltwater reef aquarium right now?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Nov 8, 2018.

?
  1. YES (tell us why)

139 vote(s)
    44.3%
  2. NO (tell us why)

80 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Somewhat (tell us why)

95 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

HEN8589_credit_Enric_Sala_National_Geographic-940x400.jpg

It could partly be the peppermint mocha latte talking but I sure am excited and happy with my tank right now.

For me everything seems to be thriving but most importantly my sps frags are growing and really coloring up nicely! Some of those colors actually look like saturated photos! HA! A few other things that make me really happy.

1. Corals growing and thriving.
    2. No coral loss.
    3. Algae is virtually non existent.
    4. Coralline algae is dominating.
    5. Fish are fat and healthy.
    6. Glass needs cleaned about every 5 days.

I'm seriously in a sweet spot like I've never experienced in this hobby before. Not sure what the perfect combination of equipment and maintenance is but I'm not touching a thing right now! One thing I have been consistent with is about a 15% water change every 1-2 weeks, changing carbon every 3-4 weeks and cleaning my skimmer when I perform a water change.

What about you? Are you happy at this moment and why? Are you not happy and why?

Tags:

2. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

Where's the FTS David?? :D

It's when I'm lazy ... things started to look better? I don't spend a whole lotta time on my tank as I used to.

Captain Quint, Ranjib, Jomama and 6 others like this.
  3. Hitman

Hitman SPS Addictions are real!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I’m happy with it but as in everything else I want more! Lol.

4. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I am very happy with my reef right now. My SPS corals are thriving, i'm going through almost 80ML of 2 part a day! Everything is colorful and happy. I've never been so proud of my reef :)
    Yeah Rev! Lets see an updated FTS! :D :D

Fudsey, Captain Quint, Ranjib and 7 others like this.
  5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

With the exception of some dang turf algae I can't seem to shake, I'm loving my reef right now. SPS are taking off. Ready to get my "frag shack" up and running, but not looking forward to moving everything out there...

6. Savannah16

Savannah16 Member

im pretty happy with how my tank is going at the moment. corals are growing, no algae, everything seems healthy. i have a few issues to sort out but nothing bad. i like to sometimes say my tank is on cruise control lol cause i dont have to constantly mess with things.

Captain Quint, JoshH, Ranjib and 4 others like this.
  7. niQo

niQo Member

I’ll break the trend: I am not happy at all!

1. Lost 5 out of 10 fish in the last 6 weeks
    2. The few acan frags I have are all dying
    3. Algae issues are persistent

I’m very frustrated with my tank, but I can’t give up yet!

8. Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project Reef Addict R2R Supporter Ocala Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I am somewhat happy.

I am happy with the health of my tank; the fish are all fat and happy and the corals are showing great color and growth.

But, I am not happy with the overall look, mainly from the aquascape point. The aquascape was thrown together in a hurry because my 125 started to blow a panel and I just never got back in there to make it what I envision my tank looking like and it is too small of a tank for the number and size of fish I have. I also currently have 3 frag racks....I need more space!

IMG_20181106_171437.jpg

Ranjib, Katrina71, pshootr and 4 others like this.
  9. Oscaror

Oscaror On A Break R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

The only thing in my tank that I'm proud of is my garf bonsai acro that grows like xenia in the worst conditions possible :confused:

I guess I voted NO: Tell us why. Well my tank crashed 2 or so years ago and anythign still in there has basically been on life support until I can move it to a new tank. I have a gold torch, 2 nice acros that are alive and growing somehow, and some Sunny Ds. 3 fish too and that's about it. The rest is just algae.

10. spyder813

spyder813 Dec.4. 2017 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I'm really happy with my tank right now. Just trying to raise the Kh from 7.2 to 8. Doing WC 10% weekly with RS Pro.
    Only problem I have is some frag plugs doesn't hold on the rock. I'm using Super glue Gel.
    I think the emerald crab take it down.

11. showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly Member

I'm somewhat happy with my tank right now. I'd like to have better lighting (currently running a couple of T8s) and possibly a different skimmer. Hopefully I'll have those by the time we upgrade from the current 40B to the 65G that's waiting patiently in our garage.

Gino, Captain Quint, Ranjib and 2 others like this.
  12. LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus Active Member

I am quite happy with it right now...it's mostly clean, just got some very pretty macroalgae in the mail, the fish and corals are thriving...

13. bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award

Happy with fish and coral but overall unhappy as I battle gha...

14. Leadfooted

Leadfooted Active Member

Keeping it simple here. Two additives manually each night, water change every two weeks, feeding fish limited but with quality, a dash of Reef roids, dash of Phyto about every 2-3 days all’s we’ll and coral thriving.

15. Leadfooted

Leadfooted Active Member

Y
    you try Sea Hare and emerald crab combo?

16. Kattkrazie

Kattkrazie Active Member

Hmmmm, this thread has made me think. I'm not happy with my tank but hadn't really thought about it. I've spent a lot of money the past year and haven't realized a return on my investment in awesomeness. For 4 yrs. I was very happy with my mixed reef, low maintenance, pretty corals. Then last year I decided to take it up a notch and go with acro dominant reef. I've battled nutrients, bryopsis, and recently won my battle with AEFW. So.much.money.gone.

On the bright side, I'm going to just let it ride now and quit cramming frags in every nook and cranny. Let things stabilize and grow. I hope to be very happy with my tank in about 6 months. Fingers crossed.

17. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'm OK happy with my corals but not at all Like bsn with the algae.

Captain Quint, Ranjib and Katrina71 like this.
  18. andrewkw

andrewkw Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

ftsnov2nd2018.jpg

I am about 8/10 happy. I have a couple of fish that are halfway through QT, knock on wood they will join the tank at the end of the month, and the problems I have will be correct by another reef tank that I hope to get going by the end of the month as well. If you're not happy with your reef start another one! - That probably isn't the best advice but in this case it works for me :)

19. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

That is very nice looking you should be happy..

Me I am not happy but only because I need some coral and time. With such a large build I have not got to my main tank either. Pretty much rock and a few fish for now. I even have a few who want to give me some coral and I can not find the time to pick them up....
    Not unhappy because something is wrong, I just need to find time to complete my builds so I can sit back and enjoy.

Captain Quint, Ranjib, JoshH and 2 others like this.
  20. jcdeng

jcdeng Valuable Member

1-6, Yes, but I am not happy cuz I want a bigger tank already! My fishes are too fat for the tank.

Ranjib and norfolkgarden like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted