Are you happy with your saltwater reef aquarium right now?

Are you happy with your saltwater reef aquarium right now?

• YES (tell us why)

Votes: 139 44.3%
  • NO (tell us why)

Votes: 80 25.5%
  • Somewhat (tell us why)

Votes: 95 30.3%

• Total voters

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ftsnov2nd2018.jpg

I am about 8/10 happy. I have a couple of fish that are halfway through QT, knock on wood they will join the tank at the end of the month, and the problems I have will be correct by another reef tank that I hope to get going by the end of the month as well. If you're not happy with your reef start another one! - That probably isn't the best advice but in this case it works for me :)
Beautiful tank!

Build thread?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy and sad. My 110 decided to crack, had to step to a 90 as it was the quickest option, so hence the sad. The happy comes in as I did not lose anything, everything is back open and doing well. My params stayed the same after a small ph and alk drop directly after the move. Then a little bit of additional happiness comes from the wife really not liking the 90 since its only a 4 foot tank. That fact has allowed me more "approved" funds for the upcoming about 500 gallon build. Then back to sad, as the 110 was going to be the sump lol. Then back to happy, as the PTO request I put in to go and pick up my rock from Florida in December was just approved. Then back to sad, as I have a ton of corals in the back room in 2x 40b tanks cause they would not fit nicely in the 90 lol. Either way the critters are alive so I am very happy about that.

Final determination: HAPPY FOR NOW.

IMG_1420.JPG

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a solid 6/10 happiness. So solid in the "somewhat" category here lol... why is mostly dominated by the desire for more corals and a bigger tank to diversify my inhabitants some. All that will come with time though. I'd say I'm happy with where I've gotten what I have right now. Leaving it in the somewhat category because I desire a little more but definitely not in the no category lol

It might de-rail things a little, but how does everybody deal with tank envy? That $20k give away led to me looking at some bigger build threads (mostly in the 90 gallon range as that's where I want to end up) and wow people have put together some awesome builds! It's not realistic for me to chase that right now but it has dampened my love for my little 20g slightly. Thoughts?

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling some cyano right now. Not too crazy but enough to give the tank some ugliness. I'm having to clean the glass every other day or so. My PO4 and NO3 are a little high but manageable at .07 and 15ppm so I'm not sure what's going on.
Got a BHT in QT right now and treating with copper for what looked like ich. It appears to be getting better with each day.

FDR_Dippin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not happy at the moment... 2 reasons... 1. Decided to attempt to rid my tank of Xenia, that meant getting rid of overrun rocks and generally disturbing the tank and deep sand bed. 2. I need more flow, preferably from a new MP10... it's on my Christmas wishlist to Santa.

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Fish are all healthy, adding a chevron and lieutenant tang this weekend to the mix. Still need to find a calcium reactor.

But, its a standard 180, and i want to be in the 300-400 range. Hopefully soon.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "somewhat." Yes and no really.

Yes: my corals look good and fish seem happy and healthy. So I'm happy that everything is doing well overall.
No: more brown algae than I'd like. I think i need more, random flow, and I need money I don't have to buy pumps.

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a crash about 8 months ago lost all my sps, most lps, zoas barely opening now. Ich became rampant recently so i took all of the fish out to treat them to hopefully have an ich free tank. So currently i have a tank covered with algae with no fish a few corals that dont look great. And ive been trying everything to turn this areoung for months.

Ive come close to quitting many many times but i have much time and money invested in this system and my daughter loves it (when the fish are actually in it.) so for now im trying again. On to a huge water change hopefully somewhere around 50% to scrape rocks and blast all the crap off and achieve a large w/c hard to do in my 225 dt with another 100 gallons in sump./frag tank in the basement

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm happy with where I'm at. I've achieved exactly what I set out to do with this aquarium. Now that some of the zoa colonies are large enough to frag I'm constantly adding new strains though trade. I'm also starting to add stuff I wouldn't normally go after like shrooms and chalices. On the fish side of things I'm happy there too. I was finally able to get a small baby fowlier tang (Thank you Fishy Business Aquatics!) that I'd been looking for for the better part of a year. I've also added an assortment of dartfish and a group of royal grammas so there's a great amount of activity. On the infrastructure side of things I was able to add and auto doser and auto top off units this year. This has freed up way more time for straight enjoyment.

littlebigreef.jpg

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat happy with my tank. 2 established SPS seem to be growing and all the new frags encrusting nicely, but the dino issue is still a slow fight. Still fighting xena from taking over, didnt get all the feet of the rocks and they are trying to grow back. And I would like to go to T5s (or a hybrid) instead of all LED. I dont have algae issues, and dont have to clean the glass but weeklyish. If not for the Dino issue I would be happy though.,pesky little snot buggers they are.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with the health of my fish and soft corals. I'm unhappy that I can't figure out where the excess PO4 is coming from. I've tried several different methods to reduce the PO4 to undetectable levels and each one has failed. I'm starting to wonder if my sand bed is acting as a sink. I'm not happy with my sand bed currently, so I'm just going to vacuum out most of it. Not all, need some for the melanaurus wrasse.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not happy with mine. I bought a used system of death 2 months ago. I'm still trying to get this thing cleaned up. Aptasia
Hair algae
Red turf algae
Green turf algae
Cyano and every sps coral in the thing was dying. But I'm winning the battle. It's just not easy.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly happy with mine. The only thing that is a daily irritant for me is the substrate. I went with crushed coral instead of a smaller aggregate like CaribSea Bimini Pink as I have done in all my other setups. I am wishing I had stuck with the CaribSea. The crushed coral is impossible to keep clean. So I'm toying with pulling it out and replacing it with the CaribSea.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back