Are you paying enough for your RODI filters? Is 2x cost worth 20x-50x performance? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the more expensive rodi units vs say a 80$ robuddie 4 stage how do they differ i have the brs one but curious to be honest

Sidius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video!!

That's an impressive performance from that Carbon block. That seems like one of those purchases that shouldn't even be a question anymore.

I've already ordered one of your 7 stage RO/DI pro filter packs (being delivered today) so I'll be running two of these carbon blocks. I'm curious to see how long they will last considering my TDS is only between 9-11 from the water source I'm using and my city does not use chloramines.

I know 7 stage is probably overkill for my TDS level (it's actually 9 stage with 3x RO membranes) but I was given a 5 stage system so I combined it with my existing 4 stage so I can make water a lot faster and waste a lot less.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the more expensive rodi units vs say a 80$ robuddie 4 stage how do they differ i have the brs one but curious to be honest

I have had expensive ones, home brew and now use the RO buddie with the buddie booster pump. In all honesty, I like the ro buddie the best. It's small, cartridges are cheap and they last quite a while. I get a true 100gpd 0tds water with the booster on and waste is way way down.

I have been running this setup for a year now.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another aspect of carbon block performance is the amount of carbon included in the block. Given that those carbon blocks are smaller than a standard 10" x 2.5" block, I think it's fair to assume that it won't last as long. We don't stock the RO Buddie, but from what I can find, it looks to only be advertised to remove chlorine. If your water supply has chloramines in it, running a minimum of two carbon blocks (rated for chloramines) is almost a no brainer.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another aspect of carbon block performance is the amount of carbon included in the block. Given that those carbon blocks are smaller than a standard 10" x 2.5" block, I think it's fair to assume that it won't last as long. We don't stock the RO Buddie, but from what I can find, it looks to only be advertised to remove chlorine. If your water supply has chloramines in it, running a minimum of two carbon blocks (rated for chloramines) is almost a no brainer.
understood gottcha

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for a call back from my local utilities department to see if they use chlorine or chloramine. In the meantime, I put in a new standard BRS carbon block (rated for chlorine only) in my unit a week or so ago, and just made up 30 gallons of saltwater. If it turns out that there are chloramines in my water supply, is there something you recommend to add to my tub of new SW to detoxify/remove the chloramines before I do a water change?

Edit: the water department called back and said they use chlorine, so it looks like I am good with the standard carbon block. I may still go with the more expensive option for my next carbon change if there is no downside and there is a chance for improved performance.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back