Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?

BRS

Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?

• Proud

Votes: 293 59.8%
  • Embarrassed

Votes: 58 11.8%
  • Neither proud or embarrassed

Votes: 120 24.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.9%

• Total voters

daileyo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Fire Garbage GIF

Dumpster fire for the past three years, but I am not excited that I am working and learning from all of the issues that I have had in the past.

I know how that feels. If feel like that every time something goes wrong. Plus side is I think being overly critical can help to drive the need to learn and improve.

I would say I am very proud of my tank. Especially when something goes wrong and I'm able to work through fixing it. Just weeks ago had a huge cyano out break that when solved cause dino out break but now this is what it looks like. Now if I could just get my corals to grow and my RBTA to come back and go to original color after the 72 hour black outs.

I like your way of thinking, and your tank looks great!

nano reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would be very proud if this darn red stuff plaquing my tank would go away and stay gone! I dont know if it algae because I was running my 8 hour light cycle a little high! I have noopsyche k7 and run them 25 w 83 b and uv and 4 red and green. Does anyone know if thats to much for a 36 gallon with 2 90 watts? PLEASE some tell me! I have made a post and no one answered! I know there is a lot of noopsyche people on here so I was shocked! I guess no one loves me i n her boohoo LOL JK But really need to know.

Maybe I will email noopsyche if no one answers. I have mostly lps and softies with a few sps. Corals are doing fine but I idid lose some in the beginning of this plaque! It dosnt look like dinos, its red and on walls, sandbed and rock and dosnt respond to cyano treatments. I have kept it at bay blowing off rocks and corals and sandbed but I read if it is dinos it can spread it and I also add mb7 and vibrant!

sorry to highjack thread!

attiland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1. Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?
Considering not a lot of money and minimal effort goes into into maintenance it is going pretty well. Just keep the glass clean and the wife happy ;) I put however countless hours in research, learning, tank watching and R2Ring ;)

our guests are always giving positive feedback so I am proud as can be.

I just wish I could go faster with coral purchases. My wife limited it to one coral per month. (Somehow I always end up with free-bees)

no skimmer, no water changes for 3 months, dosing is almost all automated and recently the whole thing really started to take off.

EA097227-38F8-4003-BA20-2E17802681E5.jpeg

cocoReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am proud of the coral and inhabitants health and growth, but i do not have a nice, new or fancy setup. So, i dont have a build thread for my main display tank. Have some gear goals to save for and setup before i feel like doing a thread.... but ive got acros growing and animals over 10 years in my care still thriving. So im a mixed boat of reef emotions

Jlew766

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I
I would be very proud if this darn red stuff plaquing my tank would go away and stay gone! I dont know if it algae because I was running my 8 hour light cycle a little high! I have noopsyche k7 and run them 25 w 83 b and uv and 4 red and green. Does anyone know if thats to much for a 36 gallon with 2 90 watts? PLEASE some tell me! I have made a post and no one answered! I know there is a lot of noopsyche people on here so I was shocked! I guess no one loves me i n her boohoo LOL JK But really need to know.

Maybe I will email noopsyche if no one answers. I have mostly lps and softies with a few sps. Corals are doing fine but I idid lose some in the beginning of this plaque! It dosnt look like dinos, its red and on walls, sandbed and rock and dosnt respond to cyano treatments. I have kept it at bay blowing off rocks and corals and sandbed but I read if it is dinos it can spread it and I also add mb7 and vibrant!

sorry to

sorry to highjack thread!
I tried dosing vibrant to just get rid of some nuisance algea and this sounds like what happened to me... what I did to beat this was to stop dosing vibrant, then scrape and suction out as much as possible then dose chemiclean for cyano while doing a 72 hour black out. Then while.doing water change suction and clean out the dead stuff then keep skimmer off for a week and do extra feedings to get nitrates and phosphates up. Then add uv sterilizer. Then give it about a week.

Yazreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Proud of the work I put in. It's still a process but definitely seing improvement. Don't get me wrong it's a bumpy road and a lot of dedication and cash. But if the results are met then it's all worth it

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_130555.jpg
    IMG_20211021_130555.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211021_123754.jpg
    IMG_20211021_123754.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 24

stanleo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would say I am proud and I like most aquarists love to show off my tank. Even if I wasn't proud of it I would still show it off. You never who might have advice for you.

That is not to say I don't have my issues with it. I am starting to get dinos on the sand, I recently lost a clown fish and my birdsnest could be better but on the whole, I am very proud of my tank.

I am not, however, proud of my photography skills. I don't think the pics I take do this tank any favors.
full tank 10.21.2021.2.jpg
full tank 10.21.2021.jpg
top left view 10.21.2021.jpg
top right view 10.21.2021.jpg

daileyo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1. Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?
Considering not a lot of money and minimal effort goes into into maintenance it is going pretty well. Just keep the glass clean and the wife happy ;) I put however countless hours in research, learning, tank watching and R2Ring ;)

our guests are always giving positive feedback so I am proud as can be.

I just wish I could go faster with coral purchases. My wife limited it to one coral per month. (Somehow I always end up with free-bees)

no skimmer, no water changes for 3 months, dosing is almost all automated and recently the whole thing really started to take off.

EA097227-38F8-4003-BA20-2E17802681E5.jpeg
Looks good. You have some killer coralline growth going on there on the back. I am getting ready to start considering coral for my tank again. I have tried coral twice so far and it hasn't gone well either time. First time was due to naivety and bull-headed-ness on what kind of lighting I needed vs. what I had. Second time, I still haven't figured out why it went bad. Once I am comfortable with my parameters truly stabilizing, I'll be ready to try again.

That's a beautiful fish in the center of your shot. What kind of fish is it? I would guess it to be a tang of some sort, but not sure.

StewL6

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It’s still a work in progress and there’s a couple minor issues here and there but I feel pretty good about the the 10 Month old 22 Book Shelf Nano and the old 8 year old JBJ 28 cube. My 110 gallon is over a month old now and doing good is fully cycled and ready for a bigger bio load.

daileyo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm kinda embarrassed of my aquarium rn ww3 going on with me and the gha past 3 months. Lol
Out of curiosity, do you think you've identified what caused it, and what are you doing to get it back under control? I'm at (what I am hoping) is the end of my battle with a bad outbreak. I've been fighting it for 6 weeks-ish. In my case I think I tracked it down to a combo of things:
  • Let my cleanup crew get too under-staffed
  • return pump was starting to fail, and I wasn't getting as much turnover through my sump as I used to
  • My tank is in a place where it gets more partial sunlight than I'd like (can't undo this one... but it seems to increase the risk)
  • Went on vacation for 2 weeks before identifying addressing the first two points.

attiland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looks good. You have some killer coralline growth going on there on the back. I am getting ready to start considering coral for my tank again. I have tried coral twice so far and it hasn't gone well either time. First time was due to naivety and bull-headed-ness on what kind of lighting I needed vs. what I had. Second time, I still haven't figured out why it went bad. Once I am comfortable with my parameters truly stabilizing, I'll be ready to try again.

That's a beautiful fish in the center of your shot. What kind of fish is it? I would guess it to be a tang of some sort, but not sure.
Thank you.

The coalliine took off rather late about 9 months mark and yes it is much better than ever anticipated. I helped it with some coralline booster at first now I just keep forgetting to dose it
29FFD00D-BB50-40EF-9166-C11FA425485A.jpeg

It really started to work when my Dinos gone and the water parameters got in check finally

the fish is a Scopas Tang named ghost fish by my 5 years old son :)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Proud of my thriving tank but please don’t open the stand doors. I haven’t cleaned my sump in the last 6/7 months.
People clean their sumps? Lol I purposely keep my dirty , I like having mulm the number of sponges / pods / brittle stars down below is actually scary and it keeps my nutrients stable but it does look like a train wreck haha

EricR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Proud or embarrassed? Depends...

Friends/family/neighbors:
You have saltwater? Cool! Check out that urchin and starfish!!!

This site:
Uhhhh,,, I aint postin' no pictures here right now

*also I guess mine doesn't count as a "reef" tank -- fish and non-coral inverts ... DOH!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thank you.

The coalliine took off rather late about 9 months mark and yes it is much better than ever anticipated. I helped it with some coralline booster at first now I just keep forgetting to dose it
29FFD00D-BB50-40EF-9166-C11FA425485A.jpeg

It really started to work when my Dinos gone and the water parameters got in check finally

the fish is a Scopas Tang named ghost fish by my 5 years old son :)
Do you have asterina starfish / urchin? I think my coraline wants to take off but my army of asterina starfish / urchin keep my rocks almost white

BRS

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 105 24.9%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 216 51.2%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.2%
Aquatic Reef Design