Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?

Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?

• Proud

Votes: 300 59.8%
  • Embarrassed

Votes: 61 12.2%
  • Neither proud or embarrassed

Votes: 121 24.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 4.0%

• Total voters

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said proud but mainly my planning and fish room as the tank is nowhere near complete yet.
Build thread shows all if interested.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Garbage GIF

Dumpster fire for the past three years, but I am not excited that I am working and learning from all of the issues that I have had in the past.

I know how that feels. If feel like that every time something goes wrong. Plus side is I think being overly critical can help to drive the need to learn and improve.

I would say I am very proud of my tank. Especially when something goes wrong and I'm able to work through fixing it. Just weeks ago had a huge cyano out break that when solved cause dino out break but now this is what it looks like. Now if I could just get my corals to grow and my RBTA to come back and go to original color after the 72 hour black outs.

I like your way of thinking, and your tank looks great!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very proud if this darn red stuff plaquing my tank would go away and stay gone! I dont know if it algae because I was running my 8 hour light cycle a little high! I have noopsyche k7 and run them 25 w 83 b and uv and 4 red and green. Does anyone know if thats to much for a 36 gallon with 2 90 watts? PLEASE some tell me! I have made a post and no one answered! I know there is a lot of noopsyche people on here so I was shocked! I guess no one loves me i n her boohoo LOL JK But really need to know.

Maybe I will email noopsyche if no one answers. I have mostly lps and softies with a few sps. Corals are doing fine but I idid lose some in the beginning of this plaque! It dosnt look like dinos, its red and on walls, sandbed and rock and dosnt respond to cyano treatments. I have kept it at bay blowing off rocks and corals and sandbed but I read if it is dinos it can spread it and I also add mb7 and vibrant!

sorry to highjack thread!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?
Considering not a lot of money and minimal effort goes into into maintenance it is going pretty well. Just keep the glass clean and the wife happy ;) I put however countless hours in research, learning, tank watching and R2Ring ;)

our guests are always giving positive feedback so I am proud as can be.

I just wish I could go faster with coral purchases. My wife limited it to one coral per month. (Somehow I always end up with free-bees)

no skimmer, no water changes for 3 months, dosing is almost all automated and recently the whole thing really started to take off.

EA097227-38F8-4003-BA20-2E17802681E5.jpeg

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am proud of the coral and inhabitants health and growth, but i do not have a nice, new or fancy setup. So, i dont have a build thread for my main display tank. Have some gear goals to save for and setup before i feel like doing a thread.... but ive got acros growing and animals over 10 years in my care still thriving. So im a mixed boat of reef emotions

Jlew766

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I would be very proud if this darn red stuff plaquing my tank would go away and stay gone! I dont know if it algae because I was running my 8 hour light cycle a little high! I have noopsyche k7 and run them 25 w 83 b and uv and 4 red and green. Does anyone know if thats to much for a 36 gallon with 2 90 watts? PLEASE some tell me! I have made a post and no one answered! I know there is a lot of noopsyche people on here so I was shocked! I guess no one loves me i n her boohoo LOL JK But really need to know.

Maybe I will email noopsyche if no one answers. I have mostly lps and softies with a few sps. Corals are doing fine but I idid lose some in the beginning of this plaque! It dosnt look like dinos, its red and on walls, sandbed and rock and dosnt respond to cyano treatments. I have kept it at bay blowing off rocks and corals and sandbed but I read if it is dinos it can spread it and I also add mb7 and vibrant!

sorry to

sorry to highjack thread!
I tried dosing vibrant to just get rid of some nuisance algea and this sounds like what happened to me... what I did to beat this was to stop dosing vibrant, then scrape and suction out as much as possible then dose chemiclean for cyano while doing a 72 hour black out. Then while.doing water change suction and clean out the dead stuff then keep skimmer off for a week and do extra feedings to get nitrates and phosphates up. Then add uv sterilizer. Then give it about a week.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Proud of the work I put in. It's still a process but definitely seing improvement. Don't get me wrong it's a bumpy road and a lot of dedication and cash. But if the results are met then it's all worth it

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_130555.jpg
    IMG_20211021_130555.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211021_123754.jpg
    IMG_20211021_123754.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 33

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say I am proud and I like most aquarists love to show off my tank. Even if I wasn't proud of it I would still show it off. You never who might have advice for you.

That is not to say I don't have my issues with it. I am starting to get dinos on the sand, I recently lost a clown fish and my birdsnest could be better but on the whole, I am very proud of my tank.

I am not, however, proud of my photography skills. I don't think the pics I take do this tank any favors.
full tank 10.21.2021.2.jpg
full tank 10.21.2021.jpg
top left view 10.21.2021.jpg
top right view 10.21.2021.jpg

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone is embarrassed when it’s first establishing and has ugly phases. But once it settles in, and the parameters stay consistent you should be nothing but proud for sticking it out, and finally having a nice tank.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you proud or embarrassed of your reef tank?
Considering not a lot of money and minimal effort goes into into maintenance it is going pretty well. Just keep the glass clean and the wife happy ;) I put however countless hours in research, learning, tank watching and R2Ring ;)

our guests are always giving positive feedback so I am proud as can be.

I just wish I could go faster with coral purchases. My wife limited it to one coral per month. (Somehow I always end up with free-bees)

no skimmer, no water changes for 3 months, dosing is almost all automated and recently the whole thing really started to take off.

EA097227-38F8-4003-BA20-2E17802681E5.jpeg
Looks good. You have some killer coralline growth going on there on the back. I am getting ready to start considering coral for my tank again. I have tried coral twice so far and it hasn't gone well either time. First time was due to naivety and bull-headed-ness on what kind of lighting I needed vs. what I had. Second time, I still haven't figured out why it went bad. Once I am comfortable with my parameters truly stabilizing, I'll be ready to try again.

That's a beautiful fish in the center of your shot. What kind of fish is it? I would guess it to be a tang of some sort, but not sure.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still a work in progress and there’s a couple minor issues here and there but I feel pretty good about the the 10 Month old 22 Book Shelf Nano and the old 8 year old JBJ 28 cube. My 110 gallon is over a month old now and doing good is fully cycled and ready for a bigger bio load.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda embarrassed of my aquarium rn ww3 going on with me and the gha past 3 months. Lol
Out of curiosity, do you think you've identified what caused it, and what are you doing to get it back under control? I'm at (what I am hoping) is the end of my battle with a bad outbreak. I've been fighting it for 6 weeks-ish. In my case I think I tracked it down to a combo of things:
  • Let my cleanup crew get too under-staffed
  • return pump was starting to fail, and I wasn't getting as much turnover through my sump as I used to
  • My tank is in a place where it gets more partial sunlight than I'd like (can't undo this one... but it seems to increase the risk)
  • Went on vacation for 2 weeks before identifying addressing the first two points.

beardog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proud of my thriving tank but please don’t open the stand doors. I haven’t cleaned my sump in the last 6/7 months.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. You have some killer coralline growth going on there on the back. I am getting ready to start considering coral for my tank again. I have tried coral twice so far and it hasn't gone well either time. First time was due to naivety and bull-headed-ness on what kind of lighting I needed vs. what I had. Second time, I still haven't figured out why it went bad. Once I am comfortable with my parameters truly stabilizing, I'll be ready to try again.

That's a beautiful fish in the center of your shot. What kind of fish is it? I would guess it to be a tang of some sort, but not sure.
Thank you.

The coalliine took off rather late about 9 months mark and yes it is much better than ever anticipated. I helped it with some coralline booster at first now I just keep forgetting to dose it
29FFD00D-BB50-40EF-9166-C11FA425485A.jpeg

It really started to work when my Dinos gone and the water parameters got in check finally

the fish is a Scopas Tang named ghost fish by my 5 years old son :)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proud of my thriving tank but please don’t open the stand doors. I haven’t cleaned my sump in the last 6/7 months.
People clean their sumps? Lol I purposely keep my dirty , I like having mulm the number of sponges / pods / brittle stars down below is actually scary and it keeps my nutrients stable but it does look like a train wreck haha

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proud or embarrassed? Depends...

Friends/family/neighbors:
You have saltwater? Cool! Check out that urchin and starfish!!!

This site:
Uhhhh,,, I aint postin' no pictures here right now

*also I guess mine doesn't count as a "reef" tank -- fish and non-coral inverts ... DOH!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

The coalliine took off rather late about 9 months mark and yes it is much better than ever anticipated. I helped it with some coralline booster at first now I just keep forgetting to dose it
29FFD00D-BB50-40EF-9166-C11FA425485A.jpeg

It really started to work when my Dinos gone and the water parameters got in check finally

the fish is a Scopas Tang named ghost fish by my 5 years old son :)
Do you have asterina starfish / urchin? I think my coraline wants to take off but my army of asterina starfish / urchin keep my rocks almost white

Back