Are you reading your way to a better reef?? What are your go-to reefing blogs?

Are you reading your way to a better reef? How often do you read reef blogs?

• I subscribe to multiple reef blogs and read articles daily.

Votes: 87 22.5%
  • I read reef blogs at least once a week.

Votes: 131 33.9%
  • I don't read blogs often. Maybe once a month or so.

Votes: 51 13.2%
  • I almost never read a reef blog...

Votes: 63 16.3%
  • Reef blogs? I didn't know that was a thing! (Check the thread for recommendations!)

Votes: 53 13.7%
  • I not only read reef blogs, but I actually keep one of my own. (Share the link in the thread.)

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1s.png

I discovered another great reef blog today maintained by @ChaosAquaculture (CLICK HERE to check it out), and it got me to thinking about the wealth of knowledge available on reef blogs. At R2R we have an excellent article section that functions much like a blog for R2R (you can check that one out HERE) with a wealth of information from a lot of our experts and members. What are some reef blogs you guys have found to be really helpful?

1) How often do you read reef blogs?

2) What are your go-to reef blogs?

3) Is reef blogging something you've ever done or thought about doing?

4) If you have a reef blog, post a link in this thread so we can check it out!

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1s.png

I discovered another great reef blog today maintained by @ChaosAquaculture (CLICK HERE to check it out), and it got me to thinking about the wealth of knowledge available on reef blogs. At R2R we have an excellent article section that functions much like a blog for R2R (you can check that one out HERE) with a wealth of information from a lot of our experts and members. What are some reef blogs you guys have found to be really helpful?

4) If you have a reef blog, post a link in this thread so we can check it out!
Well, I'm not quite on a daily, but I consume a ton of content. I post on the forums here, and watch YouTube videos from BRS and many other YouTubers. I'm not sure I'd blog myself, betwen reef keeping, work travel, cycling, and regular life, I'm pretty well occupied as it is.

Love the reef. It's fun, beautiful, and challenging all in one.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and CJ's channel! Gotta have the CJ JBJ fix.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that's the one there may be others

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch all forums that I can and the u tube sites as well.I figure you never stop learning and you can learn from
eveybody.You don't have to apply it but sooner or later you will come across something new.That suits your tank.I just want to wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year.Lets hope next year is better stay safe.

Vman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do read and learn alot Thank you everyone Tidal Gardens is awsome As is BRS between just these I have improved greatly thank you all and happy holidays

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read a blog in years on anything. I thought I was in the boat of Reef Blogs? Then someone said Tidal Gardens, ReefBuilders, BRStv then I am an avid follower. I have been following melevsreef live shows for what seems like years.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to relay something I feel is very important to aquarium keeping in General.

Mr. Carl Strohmeyer

read his stuff. he's like a combination of Randy and someone who has been keeping fish tanks for sixty years. The reason I know him is because he cared for the giant pacu fish from the movie fear and loathing in las vegas. Once I got stuck in a rabbit hole trying to locate the who/what/when/where of that giant pacu from the restaurant scene right by Benicio Del Toro

24 hours and not much sleep later Im chatting live time with Carl S himself, who would toss in carrots to tempt the fish to be in the filming frame (holds carrot below) Carl might know more about aquarium keeping than anyone Ive ever met.

Mr Carl Strohmeyer you get aquarist of the last four decades lifetime achievement award. for the books, the blogs, the ten thousand tanks in L.A. you managed and for the tiki lounge I wish I could have seen it in real life

this is rufus but in the 70's, twenty some odd years before the movie
Carl.jpg

Carl is fascinating. Google him to read an amazing life story. the fish's name was Rufus the pacu/can read about him as well online.

(what happened to the big pacu irl)

per Carl, nobody knows. when the tiki lounge was closed and bought he cared for the fish in the restaurant a while longer but then it sold and nobody is sure what the new manager did, the fish cannot be accounted for. *the entire city of Glendale CA tried to come up with fundraisers just to re home this fish * but the property owner locked all doors, never answered calls and never updated whether the fish was sold or not. Imagine someone owning that fish that an entire city would recognize and not reporting it...

now that's rabbit holing. the dang fish was the size of a land shark. the tiki lounge got the fish in the late sixties and it grew and grew

look at Carl's writing:

Carl is off scene above the tank holding a carrot look at the fish's focus lol

lounge.jpg

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time I received blog emails from Reef Builders and I really enjoyed keeping up with the hobby news content on there. However I somehow got unsubscribed from them and I can't seem to find out to get resub scribed again. Anybody know how?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So busy I can barely keep up here. I do like the ReefBuilders stuff as well as brsinvestigates videos and almost everything I run across brs is helpful.
Mostly learn from members here though.
There are some hidden gems for threads with tons of awesome info here if you catch one. Way too many people to tag here though.
Thanks to all members here at R2R though through our successes and failures we shall learn together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Only occasionally. I read blogs where a subject catches my interest.

Trade publications as I am a member of the industry (organizations) and a few other reef clubs and several electronic newsletters

I generally post something regarding new products or industry updates (eg: Hawaii collecting)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back