Are you Star Roll or are you Flunking Out? Grade yourself!

If you were to give yourself an OVERALL reefing hobby grade what would it be?

• A

Votes: 46 8.0%
  • B

Votes: 227 39.3%
  • C

Votes: 250 43.3%
  • D

Votes: 39 6.7%
  • F

Votes: 16 2.8%

• Total voters

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning: A
Knowledge: C-
Patience: Moving to a B hah
Fish: A+ (they are so happy)
Corals: B+ (they are growing, but the hammer death was troubling...maybe too early)
Nuisance junk: F (Dinos, Diatoms, GHA and Cyano...I got em all)

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If you were to give yourself an overall reefing hobby grade what would it be? Overall right now I’m probably a C which possibly becomes a B if you don’t count my sps experiences.

2. What is an area you excel in and get an A or A+ in?

Honestly don’t believe I get an A in anything unless you count the enjoyment of the hobby in general. Still have a lot to learn and hopefully can get there one day.

3. What is an area you are not good at and maybe flunking out of?
Sps seem to be my downfall as of recently. Had white bugs (got rid of) and now starting to see some more recession lately.

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. If you were to give yourself an overall reefing hobby grade what would it be?

For a beginner... I would give myself a B.

I feel like I would have an A in chemistry aspect, even though my chemistry is pretty off of normal.

An area I would probably flunk at is disease and coral lighting. I DON'T quarantine my fish (I know insane), but I've been pretty lucky so far besides two fish that have gotten sick. I don't really know much about disease and how to care for it and coral lighting. I don't really understand PAR and how much light corals need, etc.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely untrue. Even with all the automation currently available, we still see people struggling. I actually think it’s easiest to be successful if you just go back to the basics with a simple setup

Absolutely untrue. Even with all the automation currently available, we still see people struggling. I actually think it’s easiest to be successful if you just go back to the basics with a simple setup.
Basic like tap water and instant ocean or basic like running your lights based on whether or not you were literally cooking your tank inhabitants because of the heat? Alot of things today are basic such as having access to rodi water or having your own system. Something as simple as an ATO is a game changer that most hobbyists take for granted as just standard stuff. Automated heaters and programmable lighting is another thing that is normal by today's hobbyists. Home testing kits etc.. That may be basic to many and things like Neptune and filter rollers are considered advanced. Filter rollers were everywhere. Every public restroom had them in the 70s except we used them to dry our hands.. Now they are deemed a game changer because you don't have to bend down to change a filter sock a couple of times a week. Lol

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uuuuggghhh!!!

Don't ask me to rate myself, I'm too hard on myself...

Reefing is always a work in progress, not a one-time grade. See the best reefers are always learning and getting better. These expert reefers on R2R have been great teachers/mentors and I can never thank you enough for your advice, patience, and kindness. Definite shoutout to Reef Squad and R2R Excellence Award winners for your incredible teachings and assistance!!!

See many beginners on this site that deserve an A. They've done their homework, asked the right questions, and put in the extra effort. We all have our reefing ups & downs but you persevere and have great aquariums!

In my book, reefers are a special breed and should go right to the head of the class!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HONEST!

1. If you were to give yourself an overall reefing hobby grade what would it be?

C+. My tank is doing great, but getting to this point wasn't totally smooth. I lost livestock due to impulsive decisions and purchases. I wasted $$$ on products I quickly replaced. I've rushed when I should have been patient. I've been improving in all the above, but the past can't be ignored!

Husbandry and testing. I feel very invested in my tank. Financially and emotionally. I hope I never get too comfortable and become the next emergency tank crash post. I have not missed a weekly WC and I test as often as the parameters require. That changes often. Most recently my tank needs daily po4 and alk testing.

Chemistry. I have enough of an understanding to generally keep me out of trouble. But to truly understand it? Not even close. I would love to be more confident in the science behind our reef tanks.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you spend enough money there's no doubt you can be a superstar.. With automation that kinda takes the challenge of the hobby away IMO.
If the automation works properly. My ATO has been a P-I-T-A lately and since it's got kalkwasser in it I've been having Alk and pH swings. Most of my SPS frags were looking pretty decent before this.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave myself a C, then decided I deserve a B.

Good with water changes, maintenance, and stability
Corals are all healthy, even though I buy far too many
BTA is fat and happy
Fish are currently freaking out from my weekend tank leak FUBAR, but otherwise well-fed, happy, and have plenty of places to hide

I'm not going to be the valedictorian, but I'm doing okay for a new kid.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give myself a C but others can grade me better. I grow sps and acro, and have a 10+ year old system, but i have alot of cheap gear and could be better about maintenance. Like revhtree stated some A and some F

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rate myself a solid B working to be an A lol until my recent PO4 spike every thing was great got it handled and got a reality check on testing NEED TO DO MORE TESTING but 3 mo in happy fish happy euphillia and lps (now) and happy BTA!!

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not panicking when something goes wrong or getting dissapointed.
Not changing stuff when it is working.
Enjoying myself.
I am now a super glue expert, my learning and trying with Corals has allowed me to super glue other things at a much higher lever than before the reef tanks.

I cannot keep Duncans alive, every other coral I have good luck with.
Not always giving coral enough room for growth, and underestimating their reach.
My wire orginizational skills leave a lot to be desired.
I get supersticous as in I have always done a water change so I am going to do a water change even if I dont really need one but it has worked to this point.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't judge myself on how good my tank looks (this is all subjective anyway.) I judge myself on my ability to help others. Can I help someone else who is going through what I once went through? Can I help them be successful? If I can't, give me the F.

So, in some areas I get an A for my knowledge. Others, F----

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a C. I have gotten lazy over the years. The only thing I am 100 % on is feeding my fish the best foods I can find and regularly. Water change regiments are not too bad. But cleaning the glass? When I know people are coming over. As far as knowledge I continue to learn new things every day, and I have been in Saltwater for 30 years.

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone for C not being self depreciating however I am learning.

I’ve not had a tank crash or hit an obstacle I haven’t overcome yet. and have enjoyed the understanding that has come with each challenge. Fixed cyano by adding oxygen and adjusting flow don’tcha know

I’ve only lost one coral (fight not over…. a pussey that has detached from its rock - the bits are happy and bleeding well thriving but won’t attach anywhere in any tank! Pointers welcome btw). and no fish have died in my care.

I’m still in love with the hobby and still love all of the maintenance and basics although lugging water upstairs is making me seriously consider a stannah stairlift but while everything is happy I haven’t seen the growth I want and am not 100% behind my aquascapes to date.

I am learning that a slightly “dirty” tank behaves differently and the inhabitants are happier however from a sit and enjoy perspective not so hot! So until I’ve got both have to deduct points there!

in my defence, It’s not laziness its my zoology education coming to the fore there.

Think I might be able to bump myself up if this was asked next year as I’m taking my learnings and some research and currently am making what I would call a true reef tank… a shoreline to deep sea tank that is an exact tidal mimic with correct reef zones and replicated tides.

Raising and dropping the water level and matching temps of the water influx as seen in actual tides with a beach/shallow area running out to a deep reef. linked lighting that matches the lunar cycle/tidal influx.

Big job and soooo much maths (and why would I do this? - the ocean doesn’t need cleaning and we’ll I live in hope)

In short a C as all is well but my tanks aren’t as pretty as some I’ve seen in here!

Kudos to all of you with clean glass, mature corals and happy livestock you are my inspiration!

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not gonna play the ‘dumb luck’ card.
I think experience, knowledge, and consistency are vital for this hobby
KNOWING what to do when something out of the norm happens is crucial.
I give myself a C for knowledge and applying said knowledge.
I find myself saying this all to often,
‘I should have known better!’

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for B. It’s been almost a year and I’ve got a good 32 gallon mixed reef going. Wasn’t easy to set lighting for a small tank with a chalice, acans, blasted and acros. All are growing and happy but I’ve had my losses as I’ve learned. I try to do as much research as I can before I do anything even though it seems I mess up everytbing the first tome. But I’m super careful and don’t stop fixing issues til I learn how to do things correctly. Little by little I’ve made my tank more stable and better and corals seem to get happier as I go on. So I’m happy with how I’ve done. More has gone well than bad but I’ve got a long ways to go to really be good at this.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back