Are you using NOPOX for biological nutrient control? | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using nopox during cycling tanks and continued on. It accelerates the cycle significantly and it’s a handy tool for nutrient control. even in my 140 Gal system that has 0.25 no3 and 0.01 PO4 I still dose 1mil/day just to keep the door open to increasing dose in case I needed it. The only downside I find is the ph drop when it’s dosed but at 1mil now the drop is negligible.
Its interesting to think that you used NOPOX while cycling the tank. I guess it makes sense that it would kickstart your beneficial bacteria. Were there any negative results from adding this while cycling?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used NOPOX on all of my systems for years. I like to feed my corals and fish, make them fat and happy. I continue my regimen of 10% weekly water changes, but I add NOPOX daily except on water change days. As of now, I only have 1 tank, a 125 gallon LPS tank. I feed the corals twice to three times per week , and add amino acids once per week. I use 10 milliliters of NOPX each morning around 6am. Rarely check my nitrates, just look at coral behavior and algae growth to determine if I need more or less. I have also used this in an SPS dominant system for years with no ill effects. I think the only drawback to this product is that you have to stay away from some of the dosing materials as far as tubing due to the alcohol in it. Other than that, I love this stuff and always have it on hand.

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the same sentiments echoed among some reefers who've tried it. I would probably guess that many of those cases could be attributed to overdosing or when the recommended dose is likely too much for the system. I've always found it best practice to start with a half or quarter dose, not only for things like this but even things like medications or cyano removers. With smaller doses you can always scale up, which isn't the opposite with larger doses. :)
If you read the full instructions of red Sea no3po4x cyanobacteria outbreak happens when an imbalance of bacterial colonies outcompetes an other strain .......we All Have cyanobacteria it's just under control undetectable.

Solutions dise different strains of bacterial colonies I use Dr Tim's, waist away ,pristine, and biobacter

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the same sentiments echoed among some reefers who've tried it. I would probably guess that many of those cases could be attributed to overdosing or when the recommended dose is likely too much for the system. I've always found it best practice to start with a half or quarter dose, not only for things like this but even things like medications or cyano removers. With smaller doses you can always scale up, which isn't the opposite with larger doses. :)
If you read the full instructions of red Sea no3po4x cyanobacteria outbreak happens when an imbalance of bacterial colonies outcompetes an other strain .......we All Have cyanobacteria it's just under control undetectable.

Solutions dise different strains of bacterial colonies I use Dr Tim's, waist away ,pristine, and biobac

Jason Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Nopox for over 2 years and have had great success with it in my mixed reef as far as nitrate control is concerned, less so with phosphate

I have a very high bioload and nitrates run at around 15ppm and currently slightly higher. I have around 650 litres (550 after displacement) and usually dose 18ml per day, but am currently at 22ml per day to bring nitrate down a bit.

I think it’s a very useful tool, but also very powerful so you need to use it and monitor as per the instructions and don’t drive nutrients to low.
Do you or have you ever had a problem with cloudy water? I have been dosing nopox for about a month. Currently I am at 10ml/day in a 210 gallon DT. Every time I start dosing, within a day or two, the water gets cloudy and I turn off the dose till it clears up which usually happens within about 12 hours, then I turn it back on. I'm only at 1/3 of the recommended dose as my nutrients are still high (.1 phosphates and 27 nitrates) I also have a heavy bioload and I'm expecting a shipment of about 50 coral frags on Thursday, so I am extremely concerned and not sure exactly what I should do. I also do a 5 gallon / day water change which is done automatically by my Neptune DOS. Please share any recommendations you might have. I increased surface agitation when the water got cloudy to make sure I wasn't starving my fish of oxygen too.

Jason Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Nopox for over 2 years and have had great success with it in my mixed reef as far as nitrate control is concerned, less so with phosphate

I have a very high bioload and nitrates run at around 15ppm and currently slightly higher. I have around 650 litres (550 after displacement) and usually dose 18ml per day, but am currently at 22ml per day to bring nitrate down a bit.

I think it’s a very useful tool, but also very powerful so you need to use it and monitor as per the instructions and don’t drive nutrients to low.
Also, I have a Red Sea Reefmat 1200 which, since using nopox, has been going through 70+- inches / day. And my skimmer is set pretty wet and fills up about once/day. All in an attempt to get nutrients at desired levels. Once I do, I plan on tapering off the nopox dose and running the skimmer a little more dry, but for now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get them down. I also have a refugium where calerpa grows like crazy along with another kind of macroalgae that I forgot the name of. But I have been removing excess macroalgae as it fills up the space in my sump as well. I might be overfeeding a bit, but I have begun to cut back as all my fish are now healthy and fat.

Jason Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have a Red Sea Reefmat 1200 which, since using nopox, has been going through 70+- inches / day. And my skimmer is set pretty wet and fills up about once/day. All in an attempt to get nutrients at desired levels. Once I do, I plan on tapering off the nopox dose and running the skimmer a little more dry, but for now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get them down. I also have a refugium where calerpa grows like crazy along with another kind of macroalgae that I forgot the name of. But I have been removing excess macroalgae as it fills up the space in my sump as well. I might be overfeeding a bit, but I have begun to cut back as all my fish are now healthy and fat.
Here are my parameters and I'll be sending off an ICP test tonight. Alk 9.0, CA 450, MG 1350, salinity 35ppt, temp stays at 77.8-78.3, ph 8.12, ORP 328

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason

Lucky I spotted your post.

To be honest if your running a refugium I wouldn’t be using Nopox. Your nitrate is fine were it is at 27 provided you don't have any other issues and nopox has little effect on phosphate which again is fine

Both my systems currently are 30-40+ nitrate and I rarely test anymore, but they are established tanks now.

The cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom if it’s caused when you start using nopox.

Maybe cut down on the feeding a little

Just my thoughts anyway.

Jason Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason

Lucky I spotted your post.

To be honest if your running a refugium I wouldn’t be using Nopox. Your nitrate is fine were it is at 27 provided you don't have any other issues and nopox has little effect on phosphate which again is fine

Both my systems currently are 30-40+ nitrate and I rarely test anymore, but they are established tanks now.

The cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom if it’s caused when you start using nopox.

Maybe cut down on the feeding a little

Just my thoughts anyway.
thanks for your reply. That eases my mind a little

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%

Back