Argumentative people in this hobby.. ever come accross them ? In person

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished hanging my OR3 blue plus light bar.
Here is a pic. The halides wash it out.
I will take a pic when lights go out and post.
These thing really POP as they say, lol.
You can see the blue tint on the back wall.
20210102_190402.jpg

I just ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone come across these people in the hobby in person ?

Today when at a local fish store. A guy walked in and wanted 6 t5 bulbs. He Didnt know what to get so a dude i know who works in another store said to just get all blue plus.

I mentioned that that will be too blue and corals use full spectrum of lighting. He said Thats just my opinion... and thus it started with me because that was rude...

I mean isnt it his opinion to get all blues ??? So why would he make a smart butt comment like that to me zbout my opinion ?

So he started saying he uses all blue plus and grows corals healthy and fine. I told him sure they will grow under blue plus.. but that still doesnt negate the fact that most corals are shallow water and use full spectrum lightining. I know studies show blue.uv is what the coral uses most. But that still doesnt negate the fact that im right.

Specially on being too blue.. all blue plus washes out corals. Washes out fish.. looks ugly.. and yes as he said thats my opinion. But the guy asked what would grow corals best.. and also look the best

And i suggested 3 or 4 blue plus and 2 or 3 coral plus. Maybe suppliment some blue leds. Or a blue or coral plus for an actinic.. although blue plus has some actinic uv in it.

The guy then started saying he was a marine biologist.. lol. He works ina dirty fish store in a run down part of town lol... i asked if hes ever been snorkaling or diving before and he said no. Then proceeds to get caught ul in his words

Yea marine biologist.. maybe a marine biologist in his house and mind but thats it.. sure.. Still doesnt negate the fact i am right about the full spectrum lighting..

Had to leave the store before it got really argumentative because he kept negating everything i was saying.. even when i agreed all blue will grow corals, its just ugly snd doesnt provide the full range of light.. i just simply said itll be ugly and some coral plus bulbs will give you the full spectrum light youre missing..

Few people i know dislike this guy because he is very condensening and keeps talking like he lnows it sll and is very persusive and manipulative to where most people actually believe him.

Not saying im right about everything.. but i know im right about this subject.

Unfortunately you will find this in every aspect of life. There are many self proclaimed experts who don't know squat. The unfortunate thing is people follow confidence, not skill, if you say something with enough confidence people will accept it as fact. I see it on forums and in real life all the time.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you will find this in every aspect of life. There are many self proclaimed experts who don't know squat. The unfortunate thing is people follow confidence, not skill, if you say something with enough confidence people will accept it as fact. I see it on forums and in real life all the time.
AKA

7152E814-2E19-40EC-93C0-B590F184C699.jpeg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone come across these people in the hobby in person ?

Today when at a local fish store. A guy walked in and wanted 6 t5 bulbs. He Didnt know what to get so a dude i know who works in another store said to just get all blue plus.

I mentioned that that will be too blue and corals use full spectrum of lighting. He said Thats just my opinion... and thus it started with me because that was rude...

I mean isnt it his opinion to get all blues ??? So why would he make a smart butt comment like that to me zbout my opinion ?

So he started saying he uses all blue plus and grows corals healthy and fine. I told him sure they will grow under blue plus.. but that still doesnt negate the fact that most corals are shallow water and use full spectrum lightining. I know studies show blue.uv is what the coral uses most. But that still doesnt negate the fact that im right.

Specially on being too blue.. all blue plus washes out corals. Washes out fish.. looks ugly.. and yes as he said thats my opinion. But the guy asked what would grow corals best.. and also look the best

And i suggested 3 or 4 blue plus and 2 or 3 coral plus. Maybe suppliment some blue leds. Or a blue or coral plus for an actinic.. although blue plus has some actinic uv in it.

The guy then started saying he was a marine biologist.. lol. He works ina dirty fish store in a run down part of town lol... i asked if hes ever been snorkaling or diving before and he said no. Then proceeds to get caught ul in his words

Yea marine biologist.. maybe a marine biologist in his house and mind but thats it.. sure.. Still doesnt negate the fact i am right about the full spectrum lighting..

Had to leave the store before it got really argumentative because he kept negating everything i was saying.. even when i agreed all blue will grow corals, its just ugly snd doesnt provide the full range of light.. i just simply said itll be ugly and some coral plus bulbs will give you the full spectrum light youre missing..

Few people i know dislike this guy because he is very condensening and keeps talking like he lnows it sll and is very persusive and manipulative to where most people actually believe him.

Not saying im right about everything.. but i know im right about this subject.
this

Attachments

• download-10.jpg
    download-10.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 4

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back