ART:Affordable Reef Tank - Walmart Reefing

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of you know I live in Northern Minnesota, and the nearest LFS for me is over two hours away, and in the next state over. So I was going through some threads and since I'm in a nano craze right now (I have nine right now, I need help), I really, really wanted to see if I could put together an affordable reef tank that would be similar to one of the many nano in a box systems that are out there. So long story short, the Walmart Reef tank is born.

Picked up the tank, filter, heater for $70. I'll need the lights, rock and substrate, and finally the salt. My goal is to be as close to 150$ as I can (before livestock), and then keep the tank up for a year, documenting everything as I go.

Why Walmart? It is the nearest place to me that has 10 gallon tanks (Petsmart is over an hour away), and they are the most affordable (same tank at Petsmart is double in price). It is 25 minutes away from me, so that is the my "lfs" if you will.

Anyway, since I've been reefkeeping since 1991, I figure this is great back to basics approach that might help some of the folks who are just getting started. And since we are in the age of youtube - here is part one:

Ordering lights and rock / substrate tonight, and once that comes in, it's start the cycle time! Looking for suggestions on fish / corals too btw!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do a skip cycle and use transplanted live rock from the pet store

zero wait, lowest chance of dinos, best look, least algae potential. good in every way compared to dry rock starts and waited cycles.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do a skip cycle and use transplanted live rock from the pet store

zero wait, lowest chance of dinos, best look, least algae potential. good in every way compared to dry rock starts and waited cycles.
I've got plenty of other tanks I could just swap rock over. I want to treat this as a stand alone, although I might take a cup of sand from my main tank to help seed.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to try and squeeze water purification into the cost?

Could you make that up with just DI? I remember setting my first reef with just DI Tap Water Purifier.
That's going to be a little tricky - I've already got the RO/DI system, but to be faithful, maybe I should. I need to think about that.

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you (minus the 9 nano tanks lol) Did you know you can specials order stuff on walmart and then pick it up in person or get it delivered like w/ Amazon? In fact... why are you not using Amazon?

I really liked this guy's video on budget nano tanks. I got the light he recommended, the Aquaknight V1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you (minus the 9 nano tanks lol) Did you know you can specials order stuff on walmart and then pick it up in person or get it delivered like w/ Amazon? In fact... why are you not using Amazon?

I love Amazon! I use it all the time - too much lol. It was easier to just grab the tank/filter/heater when I was there at Walmart. Price wise the tank was cheaper than Amazon, and the heater / filter was pretty close. I might have been able to save $4 or so on the filter, but it would have been a little smaller, so it all works out. The light will probably come from Amazon actually - I have one now that I'd use, then I'd need to order another one lol! I have this on an UNS 7 gallon: PopBloom 16 30W LED Reef Light It's a really nice light for small tanks - four channels, and each channel is controllable, and has built in dusk/dawn and other settings. I think that might be the light I go for on this tank, but I always like trying new lights out. I've yet to find a stinker, as long as I do some homework on the light.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build a reef for cheap. I got my 90 gallon done for under $1000

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Amazon! I use it all the time - too much lol. It was easier to just grab the tank/filter/heater when I was there at Walmart. Price wise the tank was cheaper than Amazon, and the heater / filter was pretty close. I might have been able to save $4 or so on the filter, but it would have been a little smaller, so it all works out. The light will probably come from Amazon actually - I have one now that I'd use, then I'd need to order another one lol! I have this on an UNS 7 gallon: PopBloom 16 30W LED Reef Light It's a really nice light for small tanks - four channels, and each channel is controllable, and has built in dusk/dawn and other settings. I think that might be the light I go for on this tank, but I always like trying new lights out. I've yet to find a stinker, as long as I do some homework on the light.
Woah! It's got 4 channels and a remote for $60? I would've def considered this if I knew about it. what can you grow with it? (would love to see a pic :)

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah! It's got 4 channels and a remote for $60? I would've def considered this if I knew about it. what can you grow with it? (would love to see a pic :)
I'll take a quick video tonight of the light. I've been impressed with it. 30W, so decent power, I wouldn't think it would go for anything over 12-14" in tank height tho.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really liked this guy's video on budget nano tanks. I got the light he recommended, the Aquaknight V1

I have the light on one my EVO tanks for the nano light battle royale. The HiPARGERO is a great little light. I was growing SPS in a 6G with that light!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the light, it is the PopBloom 16 30W LED Reef Light I posted above. I have one on the UNS 7G, for $60, it fits in with the affordability of the tank. Debating about a stand for this tank, I might go Walmart all the way and get the wrought Iron stand they sell there. We'll see. Not sure I want to spend an extra $40 to the budget.

This brings the total cost to $40 for the filter (which I'm not super fond of how they made it, I'll have to hide the pump behind some rock, it's a bit on the ugly side), $15 for the tank, $15 for the heater, and $60 for the light. Grand total of 130.00. Placed an order yesterday for the rock and salt from Bulk Reef, that is another $45, so I'm in it for 175.00. I splurged a whole $1more , and got red sea coral salt, rather than the basic red sea.

I've got a little left over crushed coral, and I can pull a cup or three of substrate from my main tank. I figure I'll still need some more sand, so that is probably going to be the last of it, I'd figure about 190 will be the total.

Compare this to the Fluval EVO 13.5 (159.99), would still need heater ($15) and sand and rock and salt ($60), that puts me at 235$. Anything else AIO style is more, Waterbox 10's start at 179, without light / wave maker (they do have a small pump, but lets be honest, you're not growing anything without more flow) / sand / salt / rock (Roughly 300-315) and it just goes up from their.

Suggestions for coral / fish / inverts for this tank?

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got the rock in from Bulk Reef Supply, the substrate was leftovers (about four pounds of crushed coral) I had in a bag from another tank. Picked up a PopBloom light for the tank. Still empty. Probably will get it filled this weekend, and then let it slow boat cycle with a cup of sand from the main tank.

Modified the HOB to hold the heater, so the biggest worry is just making the aquascape hide the huge filter intake. Can't decide what to put in there, maybe a zoa garden? I don't think I've seen a paly garden, so that might be fun too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back