Votes: 51 41.1%

• Total voters

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching some of this and seeing the new ratings added under each user, I'd have to say that I don't like either a verified check or a rating system on all users.
Is there any way to keep this sort of system (whatever it be) limited only to buying/selling forums specifically?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching some of this and seeing the new ratings added under each user, I'd have to say that I don't like either a verified check or a rating system on all users.
Is there any way to keep this sort of system (whatever it be) limited only to buying/selling forums specifically?
I agree. I never plan to buy or sell on R2R, so I think only sellers/buyers should have it.

Like have it auto added if you buy or sell.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I never plan to buy or sell on R2R, so I think only sellers/buyers should have it.

Like have it auto added if you buy or sell.
I'd really like it best if it never showed in the discussion forums, or at least limited only to a single badge or signature-line badge.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree, the check mark is a bad idea IMO.
There is already a feedback rating in place.
It's visible, but it blends in. The new number thing kind of screams at you.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the check mark is a bad idea IMO.
There is already a feedback rating in place.
It's visible, but it blends in. The new number thing kind of screams at you.
I see red light green light. And I am the last to stop when red light is yelled. Poor me lol.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see red light green light. And I am the last to stop when red light is yelled. Poor me lol.
I knew this felt like a threat....

Confused Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX

Nick Locke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion this is not the way to do it, first off, if everyone can buy this then it just becomes the twitter issue, we are back to the beginning and everyone on is still on the same level except R2R who just got money out of it. Secondly, if we do this based upon earning the trust through proven sales and positive feedback, then the people who sell the most, regardless if they are always honest will receive the most benefits from this. The little guy who only sells once in a while, even if he is extremely trustworthy, won’t benefit as much. Also introduces the problem of the buyers, because we all know how many distrustful people there are in this hobby (both buyers and sellers). I like where R2R is trying to go to protect everyone but I’m not sure if this is the right concept, especially if it’s pay to play.

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with no. Not for a fee. I get third party costs some money but just cause I have a blue checkmark doesn’t mean they can’t scam me. I lean hard on feedback and the feedback forums and instinct. In my opinion an internal process, like 5 or 10 verified sales/purchases by feedback score with a link to the R2R thread gets you a blue checkmark or even a “verified member” badge

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is already a provision to add your Identities for other platforms.
Why not just add eBay and let people judge your credibility there? eBay already verifies people, a ratings/feedback system, has secure payment options, and has buyer protections inplace.
Let members link to their eBay listing in the R2R marketplace so R2R still gets traffic and clicks through the site. Members can shop the R2R marketplace and know that they are buying from another R2R community member instead of some (less)random person on the internet.
Screenshot_20230118-192912_Brave.jpg

☆Insert eBay here...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of these rating scores under everyone's profile either, for many reasons. I think a badge is a better and easiest way to go.
With you on the rating, the user info is starting to look really cluttered as well. But i think the verification checkmark is too easy to fake by buying it and seems a bit like a cash grab

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree , what is this in "account" clicked on nothing happens ??
the verification badge request
IMG_20230118_230120_207.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, some people are missing the point.

The question is not whether this is the answer to all scams, the question is whether it is better than nothing.

How could it be worse than nothing?

It doesn't cost buyers anything and sellers can choose to use it or not.

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is nothing but a cash grab. PayPal already offers all of the purchase protections needed to prevent yourself being scammed here. Will reef2reef be reimbursing those that do get potentially scammed by someone 'site verified', @revhtree ? If not, what exactly do you hope to add to the equation, besides another bill?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, some people are missing the point.

The question is not whether this is the answer to all scams, the question is whether it is better than nothing.

How could it be worse than nothing?

It doesn't cost buyers anything and sellers can choose to use it or not.
I agree with you, but I think a lot of people see things like this and at this point with the way a lot of social media and other services monetize their platform it sets off alarm bells

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
**THIS WILL NOT BE MANDATORY IF WE DECIDE TO DO IT, IT WILL BE OPTIONAL AND BE AN UPGRADE**

With all the scamming that goes on online what do you think about us providing a member upgrade where you could get verified so that people would be a little more comfortable when buying and selling with you and others?

You can see the Blue Verified check next to my user name now. There would also be a list of verified members you could view here: https://www.reef2reef.com/verified/

This would be optional for you the member. You absolutely do not have to get verified to trade or sell. There would also be a very small yearly fee to get verified. Since we would have a third party verification company verifying you, there are fees associated with that.

As a buyer would you feel better buying and trading with a "verified member?"

Let me know your thoughts.
I voted no, because unless i truly understand the verification process, and it has something to do with feedback and successful transactions i don't think it will help any. if it is just confirmation of address or that you are a human it will just be a tool to help scammers trick people into trusting them, i don't have any confidence that a verification company and weed out and deter scammers. and the fact that it will require a fee just means it cost more for a regular trust worthy person to sell things, and biases sales away from your average hobbiest that only sells a few things a year and doesn't want to pay the fee.

If i use any tool to decide who to buy from it would be feedback, that is always going to be the most valuable resource for preventing scamming.

Back