ASAP Advice needed! Can reef tank last 24 hours with no filter???

Ecotech Marine

wonderphil-reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all,

So my sump pump just died and my spare now also seems to be DOA. I can't get a new replacement till this time tomorrow. What can/should I do to make sure I don't lose anything. I moved heaters from the sump to the tanks so heat is not an issue, more concerned about O2 levels and anything else?

I have a spare canister filter I can put on one tank, but the sump was doing two tanks.

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Phil

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How did it die ? Spring a leak ?
I would run to petco or somewhere and grab a 10g or something tank and setup a temporary sump.
Not sure, I never tested the spare, just left it in the box (wont be doing that again) but the main one is getting power but just not pumping, might pull it apart shortly and check it out, make sure nothing is stuck.

Woodyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Not sure, I never tested the spare, just left it in the box (wont be doing that again) but the main one is getting power but just not pumping, might pull it apart shortly and check it out, make sure nothing is stuck.

If it's never been cleaned it could probably use a good soak in some citric acid.

Hopefully you can tear it apart and find something binding it up, as that would be a quick fix.

Woodyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

I have an old (~8years) mag drive pump that if power gets interrupted (unplugged, outage, etc) it doesn't always like to restart.. usually a quick jolt to the pump and it fires right up.

rockdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Doh !!! My bad thought it was the sump. Didn't have my coffee yet when I read this !!
Hopefully a good cleaning and it will pop back on plus the spare you need to test it
What kind of pump is it ?

Fritz

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all,

So my sump pump just died and my spare now also seems to be DOA. I can't get a new replacement till this time tomorrow. What can/should I do to make sure I don't lose anything. I moved heaters from the sump to the tanks so heat is not an issue, more concerned about O2 levels and anything else?

I have a spare canister filter I can put on one tank, but the sump was doing two tanks.

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Phil
Yes, I went Months! I don’t recommend but everything was fine. I have lots of LR

AI Nero 5

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 176 24.2%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 376 51.7%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 53 7.3%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
A Reef Creation