ASAP Advice needed! Can reef tank last 24 hours with no filter???

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So my sump pump just died and my spare now also seems to be DOA. I can't get a new replacement till this time tomorrow. What can/should I do to make sure I don't lose anything. I moved heaters from the sump to the tanks so heat is not an issue, more concerned about O2 levels and anything else?

I have a spare canister filter I can put on one tank, but the sump was doing two tanks.

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Phil

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank can easily last 24 hours as long as the water is moving and warm.
you said you already moved the heater to the main tank, that’s good.
just get some kind of pump in the tank moving the water to keep the oxygen up and you’ll be fine.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it die ? Spring a leak ?
I would run to petco or somewhere and grab a 10g or something tank and setup a temporary sump.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I have a tank that has run for over a year using live rock and circulation pumps. Your milage may vary. Some people do this as a deliberate strategy.

If you're concerned about oxygen, buy an air pump at the LFS. They help.

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it die ? Spring a leak ?
I would run to petco or somewhere and grab a 10g or something tank and setup a temporary sump.
Not sure, I never tested the spare, just left it in the box (wont be doing that again) but the main one is getting power but just not pumping, might pull it apart shortly and check it out, make sure nothing is stuck.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I never tested the spare, just left it in the box (wont be doing that again) but the main one is getting power but just not pumping, might pull it apart shortly and check it out, make sure nothing is stuck.

If it's never been cleaned it could probably use a good soak in some citric acid.

Hopefully you can tear it apart and find something binding it up, as that would be a quick fix.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an old (~8years) mag drive pump that if power gets interrupted (unplugged, outage, etc) it doesn't always like to restart.. usually a quick jolt to the pump and it fires right up.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh !!! My bad thought it was the sump. Didn't have my coffee yet when I read this !!
Hopefully a good cleaning and it will pop back on plus the spare you need to test it
What kind of pump is it ?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So my sump pump just died and my spare now also seems to be DOA. I can't get a new replacement till this time tomorrow. What can/should I do to make sure I don't lose anything. I moved heaters from the sump to the tanks so heat is not an issue, more concerned about O2 levels and anything else?

I have a spare canister filter I can put on one tank, but the sump was doing two tanks.

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Phil
Yes, I went Months! I don’t recommend but everything was fine. I have lots of LR

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150g tank has no sump, no hang on back. A gyre to move water and a sponge filter hidden behind the rocks. 9 months going strong. Of course, I'm not overstocked on fish... grain of salt

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back