Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that someone else actually posted that comment ... I think it is Spacetime who did ... If you scroll up some messages I think you will see that it was not me who wrote that.

It was indeed me who wrote that, I know the Mediterranean sea is being taken over by caulpera taxafolia which some researchers suggest began from the use of the plant in the display tanks in the Museum of Monacao... i.e. they flushed it down the drain...

I didn't mean to suggest that anyone would, but just bring this fact to everyone's attention.

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if I had indeed invented the Oxydator I think I would have done a far better job of advertising and promoting it :wink:

That's for sure as they have not done much if anything at all in the US to promote them ... odd indeed but that is what it is ... as you and I know.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was indeed me who wrote that, I know the Mediterranean sea is being taken over by caulpera taxafolia which some researchers suggest began from the use of the plant in the display tanks in the Museum of Monacao... i.e. they flushed it down the drain...

I didn't mean to suggest that anyone would, but just bring this fact to everyone's attention.

Very true never dispose of anything that was or is in an aquarium out in the open waters as that is how suddenly we hear about "invasive" species whether fish or crabs or snails or algae, etc. Very good point and thanks for bringing it up

And it happened in the FW hobby too ... Snakeheads are just about everywhere now and they are not eve native to the US or anywhere near it .. but now they are all over the place and destroying the real native stuff... In fact I just read an article that large Snakeheads were found in the Harlem Meer which is the large pond in the Park in Manhattan, and those Snakeheads sure did not crawl in there by themselves, some one dumped them in there when they suddenly figured out they did not want them in their aquariums anymore.

Same with the Lionfish on the East coast and that invasion ,,, and I could go one as there are lots of other instances of this happening

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No offense taken. I was curious for academic reasons. In Florida, we have tons of invasive plants and animals.

I was wondering if I would hear an exploding toilet scenario from flushing it. ;-)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense taken. I was curious for academic reasons. In Florida, we have tons of invasive plants and animals.

I was wondering if I would hear an exploding toilet scenario from flushing it. ;-)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Yes you do indeed and there are more .. the latest Snakeheads in the Harlem Meer in Manhattan in Central Park ...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you do indeed and there are more .. the latest Snakeheads in the Harlem Meer in Manhattan in Central Park ...
They have reports of Snakeheads in Central Park but so far they have not found any that they could actually see. That lake in Central Park freezes often in the winter and luckily, snakeheads are somewhat tropical. I just hope I don't find any in my 15 gallon pond in my back yard. This was my back yard a week after Hurricane Sandy, but I didn't look for snakeheads on that particular day.

Busterhotrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the seahorse page but it seems their webpages are geared to only input information for the U>K> it will not allow a U>S> address ? I was curious and wanted to try one ?

Busterhotrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are that hard to come by ? why don't we manufacture a similar one over here ? I would like to get my hands on one ? Thanks JOHN

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the seahorse page but it seems their webpages are geared to only input information for the U>K> it will not allow a U>S> address ? I was curious and wanted to try one ?
You need to email Adrian by the contact link on the site to get info on shipping to the US ... His email is Adrian Blundell <[email protected]>

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have reports of Snakeheads in Central Park but so far they have not found any that they could actually see. That lake in Central Park freezes often in the winter and luckily, snakeheads are somewhat tropical. I just hope I don't find any in my 15 gallon pond in my back yard. This was my back yard a week after Hurricane Sandy, but I didn't look for snakeheads on that particular day.

Right with that kind of weather I am sure that there would not be any around but what about survival rate even during such cold weather ... the Snakeheads are tough cookies for sure

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are that hard to come by ? why don't we manufacture a similar one over here ? I would like to get my hands on one ? Thanks JOHN

Very hard to duplicate the real one .. many have made DIY units but do not get the kind of results and effect that the real ones do ... One come get O and O2 bubbling but usually the O2 bubbles are large and rise to the surface and do not dissolve in the water. The real unit's bubbles are so small you will a hard time even seeing them but they are absorb into the water very efficiently.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there lies the rub. I have often said the Oydator produces 3 sizes of bubbles. When filled and put in the aquarium some largish bubbles may be emitted. Sometimes the large ones are not produced it depends on what peroxide escapes in to the ceramic cup before you put the Oxydator in after filling.
The next size are very fine bubbles that can just be seen with the naked eye some rise up towards the waters surface but in next to no water flow you might just see some exiting and spreading out horizontally. Some are so small you won't see them as the O2 is dissolved directly into the surrounding water.

Very hard to duplicate the real one .. many have made DIY units but do not get the kind of results and effect that the real ones do ... One come get O and O2 bubbling but usually the O2 bubbles are large and rise to the surface and do not dissolve in the water. The real unit's bubbles are so small you will a hard time even seeing them but they are absorb into the water very efficiently.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there lies the rub. I have often said the Oydator produces 3 sizes of bubbles. When filled and put in the aquarium some largish bubbles may be emitted. Sometimes the large ones are not produced it depends on what peroxide escapes in to the ceramic cup before you put the Oxydator in after filling.
The next size are very fine bubbles that can just be seen with the naked eye some rise up towards the waters surface but in next to no water flow you might just see some exiting and spreading out horizontally. Some are so small you won't see them as the O2 is dissolved directly into the surrounding water.

Thanks Les for the further clarification +10

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Special for Mother's Day ... I am offering the e_Version of my new Book Nano-Reef Aquariums for $15.00 and you get 12 free issues as a bonus. That is a value of $20 and $ 12.50 or $ 32.50 for only $15.00 ... This offer is available till tomorrow morning 9:00 am Monday.

Make your payment to PayPal [email protected] .... This is a real special offer and a big saving over the normal prices .... !

Nano Reef Aquariums is a 448 page book with everything you can think of that you need to know about NANO's.

And Happy Mothers Day to all MOM's

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about a coral only tank

Hello Mr. Thiel,
I am new to the hobby and what attracted me and my wife was the amazing colors of the coral specially the zoanthids.
I just finished reading your new book (I learned a lot) but since we are not going to get any fish, just corals wanted to find out if our setup is adequate.
I am assuming that the biolode of a coral is much less than that of a fish. By how much I do not know, maybe you have an idea. I have a 29g Coralife BioCube and just recently converted chamber 2 to a refugium. I started a thread on our tank, here is the link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/nano-reefs/118571-fern-isabels-29g-coralife-biocube.html
So far our chemistries are fine with last check ammonia, nitrates, phosphates and nitrites 0 by our home kit and verified by LFS.
We are going to just do soft corals.
Also i did not see any mention of zoanthids in your book. Any reason why you left this class of corals out?
Thank you
Fern

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back