Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually more concerned about the PH swing. I drip 1 gallon at a time, dosing my normal amount of 1 TSP per gallon. The tank is a low cal demand tank, I have a 2.5" Crocea and 2.5" Maxima clam. I also have 4 small SPS frags and a few smallish LPS frags. The most of my corals in there are Zoa's and a few softys. I also have a bit of a Macro collection.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the most recent FTS of the tank.

380611_3614480939607_1923009623_n.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question, what do you prefer nuvo 16 or jbj rimless 30g

I like both but the decision you need to make is how many gallons you really want ... 16 gallons or 30 gallons. Personally I would select the larger one but it is a matter of space and what you want to keep. In a 30 you can keep a lot more corals and fish and still have a bioload that is not too high ... but if you have more questions feel free to post them here.
Best wishes to you and your Family for the Holidays

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually more concerned about the PH swing. I drip 1 gallon at a time, dosing my normal amount of 1 TSP per gallon. The tank is a low cal demand tank, I have a 2.5" Crocea and 2.5" Maxima clam. I also have 4 small SPS frags and a few smallish LPS frags. The most of my corals in there are Zoa's and a few softys. I also have a bit of a Macro collection.

KW normally will keep your pH at 8.2 to 8.3 unless you grossly overdose and in your case that does not seem to be an issue. Based on the amount you now dose, what are you calcium and pH levels if I may ask ? That should help me in giving a more complete answer.

Sorry for the late answer but I did not get a notification that this message came in and was posted and also not the one with the FTS ...
I'll check my settings and notifications again. Sorry about that.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I checked my notifications and they are properly set .. odd that those messages did not come in ...

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemenzophyllia another great coral for the Nano Reef : not as often seen anymore as it used to be IME

nemenzophyllia.jpg

This is commonly referred to as fox coral, yes? I did used to see these all the time but rarely ever do now.

Albert, I'm curious as to your question about the two little fishies product, marine snow...I have long thought this product to be "snake oil" of sorts since it claims to feed suspension feeders and coral but does not require refrigeration, but I have never used it. Do you know of any other information about the product such as what it contains and why it would not require refrigeration? Which type of coral is it supposed to be feeding and are you broadcast feeding this?

Great links you posted also, I will be going through the Borneman reef foods articles starting today, I have not read those yet. Do you know when were they published?

Thanks again and happy holidays!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is commonly referred to as fox coral, yes? I did used to see these all the time but rarely ever do now.

Albert, I'm curious as to your question about the two little fishies product, marine snow...I have long thought this product to be "snake oil" of sorts since it claims to feed suspension feeders and coral but does not require refrigeration, but I have never used it. Do you know of any other information about the product such as what it contains and why it would not require refrigeration? Which type of coral is it supposed to be feeding and are you broadcast feeding this?

Great links you posted also, I will be going through the Borneman reef foods articles starting today, I have not read those yet. Do you know when were they published?

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Yes I am aware that it is referred to as Fox coral but there are other corals also referred to as Fox and that is why I did not add it.

On Marine Snow ... it does say to refrigerate after opening if I remember correctly. And yes it it may sound like snake oil but it is not IMO. I use it in the morning before the lights come on and put 1 capful in my 20 gallon tank and stop the skimmer for about an hour and take all media out of my HOB filter to provide more circulation. Since I started using it maybe 3 x a week, my Candy Cane for instance looks a lot better .. pic below. So I would say it is good. The one that I do not feel for is Reef Snow as I cannot figure what good it would do .. I tried it but I did not see any changes in the corals.

Also Marine Snow is by Julian Sprung and I don't think he would put something on the market that is doing some good.

As to content : as usual not disclosed except for % protein, % this and that but no specifics. Right now it's in my fridge as I think I did read on the label to refrigerate after opening it.

IMO it is ok to use.

The Borneman ones were published in 2002 and 2003 but what he talks about is not time sensitive so the majority of what he wrote still applies.

Hope this helps.

And I just went to check the Marine Snow and the first thing it says after Directions: is refrigerate after opening and it does give somewhat of a better description of what is in it as zoo and phytoplankton with actual names.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does White Pox look like ? Infects corals ... it is a gram negative enterobacteria also affecting humans and often in Hospitals when patients get an infection. Transmitted it is thought from Humans to corals ..

white pox.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back