Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

jimmie86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no problem getting a new fixture. the only reason i got this one was because it was cheap but if i need to get a new fixture or there is any other light that would work i have no problem buying it. i found a LED bulb: ecoexotic PAR38 LED lamp 18 watt (6 blue, 4 white, 2 red). dont know much about LED lights and not sure if it would be to strong for such a small tank

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no problem getting a new fixture. the only reason i got this one was because it was cheap but if i need to get a new fixture or there is any other light that would work i have no problem buying it. i found a LED bulb: ecoexotic PAR38 LED lamp 18 watt (6 blue, 4 white, 2 red). dont know much about LED lights and not sure if it would be to strong for such a small tank

Hang it over the tank rather than screwing it inside the lid and start fairly high up to slowly accustom the life forms in the tank to the different light and then lower it a bit after a week and a bit more after another week. I would start at 18 inches above and lower 3 inches and then another 3 ... and observe how everything in the tank reacts to the light as you lower it ... if you see any negative reaction you will need to raise it again

longview23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question I'm starting a 10 gallon nano tank and I'm wondering what else I could put in there besides a small ocellaris and *** gobies?

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein Skimmer and/or a reactor

Ok so I have a nuvo 24, 24 gallon nano reef. I am thinking of getting a protein skimmer and/or reactor (GFO, Carbon, calcium) IDK? But is both machines ok on a small tank like this? Also if anyone has any incite to a good nano skimmer or reactor please respond.

Thanks and Happy Reefing,
Jack
thenanoreef

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my wife's 29g BioCube, I'm looking at the-

Tunze 2002
Bubble Magus HOB
And especially the Cad Light 50. Check out it's results and watch on youtube.

Tunze use to be the company to beat, but I can't say what I think of this newer skimmer. It just seems to not create enough micro bubbles, compared to the other top brands, and I'm not the only one to think so. Remember,....most of these tanks and skimmers, you better also buy a ATO, especially the ones like Tunze that have a grate type intake that requires exact water height !

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have an innovative marine 24 which is an AIO aquarium. Now I want to run a skimmer but I really don't want to be looking at the collection cup sticking out from behind the tank. So I devised what I think might be a good plan. Run a sump! Yes I know run a sump on an AIO tank, you must be crazy. But really I have pretty much no room in the back chamber of the tank measuring a mere 2.5 inches. My plan would,be to pump water out of one of the compartments into a 10 gallon sump that I have designed (picture below) then have the return pump, pump the water back up to the back compartment only to be pumped back out to the display portion of the tank. The only problem I have is this little project is going to run me a cool 300 bucks. So is it worth it? Or will my idea fail miserable? Please leave your thoughts.

thenanoreef

P.S Please check out my thread Project IM. My Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 journey also in the nano reefs forum

image.jpg

soheilassadi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a 20g tank which is 1 year old, its cuboid 2feet tank and the lighting is 2*T5 HO 24W (There are only 2 slots for T5 bulbs). currently there are 9months aquaticlife white + blue bulbs so its time to change the bulbs, here in Malaysia i can only find ATi and Redsea bulbs so my choices are limited.

I have SPSs(green,blue,yellow), Frogspawns and Anemones in my tank and they have been great so far. so what i want is "A crisp color with noticeable blue undertone"

If i go for Redsea bulbs so it would be like : BlueWhite 15000K + Actinic 22000K

and

If i go for ATi, i prefer to have the True Actinic cause i heard and read that ATi's True Actinic will improve the health and growth of corals (specially SPSs), so my choices preferably be like:

True Actinic + Coral Plus
or
True Actinic + Blue Plus
or
True Actinic + Aquablue Special

So please let me know what do you think and please give me some suggestions

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IYO- what is the best AIO nano? I am trying to determine which one would be the most inclusive of everything I would need to successfully grow SPS corals without having to purchase additional equipment. Currently thinking the Red Sea Max are the best plug and run options.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be running a 27 cube and a deep blue 30 and they will both be sharing a 55 gallon sump.

Other than a skimmer, heater, and return pump what other equipment should I run?.... such as reactors, uv sterilizer, so on and so forth.

Also what kind of macro and other inhabitants do you like to have in your fuge?

How do you like your sump set up? I was thinking the sock and skimmer in the first section then fuge bubble trap and return

nanonanoman113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am in dire need of some help!! I have had a 20 gallon tall nano and recently the nitrates have been uncontrollable between 20-40ppm. I do small water changes and add nitrate reducer which works for a day or so then it spikes again. Ive lost many corals and frags and want to get things back to being able to support corals and growth again. I have 3 damsels and one clown as well as a 10-15 man CUC. Two 450 gph power heads 30 gallon HOB filter with all carbon removed and thats what im running right now. Help me please I cant get corals to thrive or grow they just die

andree.sisario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28gal jbj nano tank and want to start a refugium in the middle chamber. I already have the light and want to know if I have to use filter at the top,chaetomorpha algae in the middle and live rock on the bottom of the middle chamber. Can I run it wiyh out the filter at the top?

fahad khan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone. i am new to forum and i joined bcz i want info on my new nano marine tank. i recently started my first saltwater tank added dry rocks and live sand and cycled for 1 month.then i added my first fish-longfin bannerfish . it was fine my water parameters were good, salinity is 1.025.it didnt eat for a week and died then i added blue damsell they died within 2 days then i added 3 spot damsell and it died within a day know i am in deep tension what is wrong why cant i start up my tank succesfully

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone. i am new to forum and i joined bcz i want info on my new nano marine tank. i recently started my first saltwater tank added dry rocks and live sand and cycled for 1 month.then i added my first fish-longfin bannerfish . it was fine my water parameters were good, salinity is 1.025.it didnt eat for a week and died then i added blue damsell they died within 2 days then i added 3 spot damsell and it died within a day know i am in deep tension what is wrong why cant i start up my tank succesfully
Have you tested you parameters?

evilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
torn in 2 directions

Hello I need help deciding on what tank to proceed on buying I currently have a 10 saltwater but I'm looking into upgrading to a nuvo 30 or cad 34 please help. What are some of the pros and cons, and what are ur experience with these tanks!!

91Atrac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So I've been all about making my own filters for my nanos since I had such good success with my original design back awhile ago.wondering what everyone thinks about this design. Right side is the entry that would be horizontally baffled and end with the left side being return pump drilled to fit on lock line or drill it for an overflow to a sump.

Wouldn't mind input for other nano keepers.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417299340.884414.jpg

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we have lost a great treasure to our hobby, Albert passed last night after a battle with cancer. I am saddened by this as I just started rereading my Nano-Reef Aquarium book again. His family needs help with medical bills and expenses. Please help if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/albert-needs-our-help-and-support

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have, lost a wonderful man and reefer !

I remember talking with Albert several times back in the 90's, both on the phone and in person in Omaha.

He talked me through setting up my first reef, a Oceanic 75g. (if you're old enough to remember the best made tanks on the planet)
His knowledge and experience aided thousands,.....of people, yet always remained wholesome man.

He's now in the beautiful ocean of Heaven.

Hope to meet up with you someday Al !!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back