Assume acropora is happier when polpys are open more?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I notice my tenius acropora has way more polyp extension when I turn my flow down. Is it safe to assume it’s happier if the polpys are more extended? When I have my flow how it is now the polpys are moving but they aren’t as open. When I turn it down a little they are fully open and it looks really fluffy.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear colleague,
the sentence is not true… but mostly because the “flow“ part is too general.

As a reminder, we have many types/categories of flow:
Narrow - Broad
Direct - Indirect
Directional
Intensity
Constant - Random

I would assume that if you are blasting the tenius with direct constant flow… it can be indeed true.

For the all the other categories/types I don’t believe that it will the case.

Cheers!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These articles claim that flow is even more important than lighting for sps, very interesting reads:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming to regard PE as a function of respiration more than anything else. With a lot of flow, they don't need to extend very much. When flow is limited, they need to extend more to "breathe".

In my high energy frag system, this frag has very modest PE. But in this jar? Just look at that thing trying to breathe.
65886722685--2862C967-018F-4F5A-8225-353EDBAA561D.jpg

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dear colleague,
the sentence is not true… but mostly because the “flow“ part is too general.

As a reminder, we have many types/categories of flow:
Narrow - Broad
Direct - Indirect
Directional
Intensity
Constant - Random

I would assume that if you are blasting the tenius with direct constant flow… it can be indeed true.

For the all the other categories/types I don’t believe that it will the case.

Cheers!
Wow you really broke that down. I kinda forget there is a lot more to flow. Thank you so much.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am coming to regard PE as a function of respiration more than anything else. With a lot of flow, they don't need to extend very much. When flow is limited, they need to extend more to "breathe".

In my high energy frag system, this frag has very modest PE. But in this jar? Just look at that thing trying to breathe.
65886722685--2862C967-018F-4F5A-8225-353EDBAA561D.jpg
Gosh I love this hobby haha. There is so much to learn. That actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. So max PE does not always mean the healthiest as clearly shown in this picture. When mines has max PE the flow was very low ( I added anenome covers to my mp10) I could barely see the polpys moving.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These articles claim that flow is even more important than lighting for sps, very interesting reads:
I’m going to read these. Thank you so much :)

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE max is a bit of a mystery. They PE for a lot more than just breathing though too. Plenty of acros can get direct blasted and will still happily extend polyps all day long.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PE max is a bit of a mystery. They PE for a lot more than just breathing though too. Plenty of acros can get direct blasted and will still happily extend polyps all day long.
Yea it’s seeming to be very complex the more I read. I would think it looks prettier with max PE but I don’t want to give it low flow just for max PE. I can assume after this post that more random flow that I can see by the polpys moving is better even tho they aren’t fully extended. When they are fully extended it’s extremely low flow.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME polyp extension is a poor indicator of acropora happiness. While yes, they may appear more attractive and common sense would lead us to assume it means they're thriving, it has not been my experience overall. I've had acropora rarely ever show polyps during daytime hours, completely closed up, but growing fast and showing feeding response at night in the pitch black. I have also had acropora show the most spectacular polyp extension, clear down to the last polyp on a slowly necrosing specimen.

exhibit A:
1638839416482.png

This Walt Disney Tenuis looked this way for all 2 weeks I had it in the tank. The whole time. Beautiful color, amazing polyp extension, but the polyps and tissue just flaked away little by little until it was completely gone and algae took over the skeleton. Never did a polyp retract or recede the entire time it occurred. About 20 other acros behaved similarly over that course of time in a depressing mass sps death event.

PE is a good thing to look at. I prefer to see it in my sps. But i've had them wither away and die in that state just as commonly and frequently as I've had in brown dormant ones with no PE.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That piece is gorgeou
IME polyp extension is a poor indicator of acropora happiness. While yes, they may appear more attractive and common sense would lead us to assume it means they're thriving, it has not been my experience overall. I've had acropora rarely ever show polyps during daytime hours, completely closed up, but growing fast and showing feeding response at night in the pitch black. I have also had acropora show the most spectacular polyp extension, clear down to the last polyp on a slowly necrosing specimen.

exhibit A:
1638839416482.png

This Walt Disney Tenuis looked this way for all 2 weeks I had it in the tank. The whole time. Beautiful color, amazing polyp extension, but the polyps and tissue just flaked away little by little until it was completely gone and algae took over the skeleton. Never did a polyp retract or recede the entire time it occurred. About 20 other acros behaved similarly over that course of time in a depressing mass sps death event.

PE is a good thing to look at. I prefer to see it in my sps. But i've had them wither away and die in that state just as commonly and frequently as I've had in brown dormant ones with no PE.
Wow. That is a gorgeous piece and a very sad story. When you compare it to zero PE on my Walt Disney picture above, one might think yours was "happier" than mine. Thanks for the lesson.

Did you ever deduce what the problem was?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That piece is gorgeou

Wow. That is a gorgeous piece and a very sad story. When you compare it to zero PE on my Walt Disney picture above, one might think yours was "happier" than mine. Thanks for the lesson.

Did you ever deduce what the problem was?

Was a shame to lose it but I’ll get another after a while. Long story short. It was a frag from a colony I grew in my last tank which was very old and mature. A friend held onto it and about 40 others for 6 months or so. I Moved and set up a new tank. Kinda jumped the gun on bringing them back over. Fluctuating nutrient levels and new tank instability was likely the cause of the demise. I kinda expected it but wanted to give it a try. Such is life. Same fella still has duplicate frags of almost all of them growing in his tank so I have a local source for the same pieces whenever the tank settles down

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a shame to lose it but I’ll get another after a while. Long story short. It was a frag from a colony I grew in my last tank which was very old and mature. A friend held onto it and about 40 others for 6 months or so. I Moved and set up a new tank. Kinda jumped the gun on bringing them back over. Fluctuating nutrient levels and new tank instability was likely the cause of the demise. I kinda expected it but wanted to give it a try. Such is life. Same fella still has duplicate frags of almost all of them growing in his tank so I have a local source for the same pieces whenever the tank settles down
Roger that.

If you have to park your corals with a friend again, maybe try and park your live rock as well, so you can pick up (kinda) where you left off?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back