.....assuming ich

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I have this tomini tang. Purchased 12 days ago. LFS said they ran 1/2 dose of copper power in their systems. Fish has been there for I think it was 23 days. Looked good. I purchased it. Put it into my observation/frag tank before putting it into my 90. Today I see some white spots on the fins. Nothing on the body that I can tell. No other fish in the system.

Assuming this is ich...................

IMG_20190502_194659 (2).jpg

I do have a 20 gallon set up for medication. Here are a list of the medications I have on hand.

Cupramine
Paraguard
Prazipro
Probiotic Marine Formula
Kick Ich
Reef Rally

Seachem copper test kit.

Here is where I start to get nervous...here is a little back story

The last 4 fish I QT's in that tank has died. Kohl, Copperband butterfly (was eating frozen), 2 firefish.

I was not smart and did not have ammonia checker for those fish. I did for the last and ammonia almost got to .2 and I was going to do a water change that night. Kohl tang was dead. Guessing ammonia killed them all.

So what shall I do. I haven't touched that tank since the last fish died. Could use some help. Should I do a 50% water change. get the copper up to therapeutic levels (.5). Then do 10% water changes daily? to keep the ammonia down?

I have never done a freshwater dip in my life. If I do. Do I slowly bring the salinity back up. Or just plop and drop back in the QT tank?

Shall I do a Prazi or Paraguard dip before doing the copper?

I feel like I'm the worst person ever trying to get this QT down for my fish. I really don't this little guy to die on me because of my ignorance or stupidity.

Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, they are great tangs.

If anyone can help here is the place to get it.

Watching

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first deal with the obvious symptoms. The pic looks like it’s ich but could be velvet. How long was the fish in your unmedicated tank?

I would order copper power from amazon or see if your lfs has some. Not as harsh and much lower likelihood of overdosing. Therapeutic dose is between 1.5-2, target ~1.8. You should order an ammonia alert badge. Hanna checker makes testing much easier if you don’t mind the cost. Also should get biospira or one of the bacteria and dose the tank.

You can also start dosing cupramine but be careful with tests.

I make very frequent large water changes 50%+ in all my QTs every couple of days. Make sure to have very good flow.

For more detailed description read:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Good luck!

OP
OP
Tyler Bullock

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 days

I have one now

MT has been up and running for about 3 months.

Should I do a 50% water change to get out the little bit of cupramine left in the MT?

If after 12 days then it is more likely ich. Velvet usually kills faster. I would take a few days to raise cupramine to therapeutic level.

I do large water changes because of frequent bacterial blooms I encounter in QTs, not to get copper out. You will have to re-dose copper, ideally in the new water but fine to add to the tank after each water change.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich and given the limited area, it doesn't seem like velvet is likely.

I'd suggest doing tank transfer method instead of copper. If you have issues with ammonia and are going to have to do a large water change either way, you'd might as well do a full water change and clean out the aquarium as part of the tank transfer method so you avoid putting the fish through copper treatment. Either way will eliminate ich.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it’s probably ich, BUT if the store was running sun-therapeutic copper velvet can be “suppressed” and take longer to show symptoms.

Either way, 30 days of therapeutic copper in QT and 76 days running your DT fallow should do the trick.

OP
OP
Tyler Bullock

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a few days to raise cupramine to therapeutic level.

To late, you talked me into copper power and hanna checker.....................ordered a new heater for the qt as well lol

I'd suggest doing tank transfer method instead of copper.

I would do this if I had more tanks and supplies, and well I just ordered copper power and a hanna checker

Either way, 30 days of therapeutic copper in QT and 76 days running your DT fallow should do the trick.

looks like he will be in qt for 30 days from when I get all my stuff in. The fallow period in my reef qt is not an issue due to me setting up 90. Its almost 2 months old. And you guessed it....I will do a build thread soonish.

IMG_20190420_155851.jpg

And here is the QT

IMG_20190420_205128.jpg

And to answer a future question, Yes, i pulled him from the QT to eat some algae that was growing in the coral QT. That was a success!

Anyways, Thank you all for the tips. I will update you all on how it goes. I hope to get him into QT this weekend.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Tyler Bullock

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update. Got the tang in QT. I did a freshwater dip. Scared the hell out of me. Nothing came off of him. He was a little blotchy, but gained his color back withing 30 mins to an hour. He is eating very well. Very active. Copper, new heater, and hanna checker will be in tomorrow. Will start bringing up copper power to 1.75 over the next few days. I will update when I get more info for you!

OP
OP
Tyler Bullock

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini is doing well. Setting strong at 1.75 Copper Power. No spots. He is just patiently waiting to be put in the 90!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back