Asterina starfish getting out of hand: how many bumble bee/harlequin shrimp can I have? Are they okay with other shrimp?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Im having a population explosion of asterina starfish. I have a 220g tank with 3 cleaner shrimp, a scarlet shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp. How many of the bumble bees or harlequins (pending lfs availibilty) should I add? Are they okay with the other shrimp?

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem in a 150 gallon tank with a pistol shrimp. I put a single harlequin in about 2 months ago and the starfish have been drastically reduced. No problems at all.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubblebee snails wont touch them, they are great for vertmid snails infestation...

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had my harlie, I had two bloods and two skunk cleaner shrimp. no issues. I added 100+ asterina's every two weeks to keep it fed.
150g tank. you only need one.

catalystNfacade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think harlequin shrimp only have problems with their own kind, unless they're a pair. I have two Bumblebee Shrimps in a 24 gallon tank which I believe are the same sex. The larger one will chase the smaller one now and then but it never gets worrisome. I'm guessing because of their size you could house a good number in a tank. Completely unproven opinion though. I'm not sure Bumblebee Shrimps will eat the bodies of asterina starfish. They seem to viciously attack the tube feet of such creatures and that's it. This I can confirm from adding an urchin out of curiosity once. Both species should be okay with other shrimp. Though keep in mind the bumblebee shrimps are tiny and could be picked on or hunted by substantial larger shrimps. They're my favorite shrimps to keep so far though.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had my harlie, I had two bloods and two skunk cleaner shrimp. no issues. I added 100+ asterina's every two weeks to keep it fed.
150g tank. you only need one.
Where did you get the asterinas?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the asterinas?
I had a few local reefers that had excessive populations. I'd throw them $10 per 100.
also LFS. they didn't have a huge population so I would only buy 10-20 very other week.
$1 per 10. baggage fee. :)

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mates pair of Harlies, 220gal they took about 3 wks to clear out asterina and there were hundreds, also have a variety of other shrimp all get along fine.
Now I buy asterina to keep the harlies fed

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what causes these explosions? I've had friends pull over 50 out of a 29 gallon in one go. I've had them for 10 years and I'm lucky to find two at a time in a 90 gallon. For some reason they don't proliferate much in my tank. Not sure if it's the nassarius snails or the scarlet reef hermit, or just competition with these snails/gastropods: astrea, nassarius, chitons, stomatella, Mexican turbo, zebra, and/or money cowries.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hundereds of asternias in my 58 gal reef, and a pair of harlys cleaned them out in weeks, I had to start buying starfish for them to keep them alive. They are very interesting critters if you can meet their needs.

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Im having a population explosion of asterina starfish. I have a 220g tank with 3 cleaner shrimp, a scarlet shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp. How many of the bumble bees or harlequins (pending lfs availibilty) should I add? Are they okay with the other shrimp?
If you still have starfish invading, I would be happy to take them off your hands! Have a shrimp that will eat them

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back