Asterina starfish

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found what is the second asterina starfish. I have learned they are pest. What are ways to get rid of them? I have heard of certain shrimps will take care of the problems.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin shrimp. Be prepared to rehome the shrimp after they eat all the starfish or the shrimps will starve. If you only have a few asterinas, maybe just manual removal when you see them.
I honestly don’t know how many are in there really. This is the second one I seen and I have removed them both. where Did they come from?

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows? A lot of tanks have them. Today I pulled a monster (thumbnail size) out of my sump!
I’ve heard of a species that harm coral, but that they are rare. It’s mostly a problem of population control.
I’ve tried harlequin shrimps, and they will absolutely (eventually) wipe them out. Feeding them starfish afterwards was cool at first, but turned into a pain. Nowadays, I “hunt” them. Small pointy tweezers and a flashlight work wonders.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows? A lot of tanks have them. Today I pulled a monster (thumbnail size) out of my sump!
I’ve heard of a species that harm coral, but that they are rare. It’s mostly a problem of population control.
I’ve tried harlequin shrimps, and they will absolutely (eventually) wipe them out. Feeding them starfish afterwards was cool at first, but turned into a pain. Nowadays, I “hunt” them. Small pointy tweezers and a flashlight work wonders.
I’ve been lucky so far finding them on the glass while doing my maintenance and feeding. I try to make my setup as natural as possible, is why I’m trying to find a solution so I won’t stress my fishes out

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back