Astraea snail eating my 6 line

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dozen or so Astraea? snails (the ones that cannot flip over and die). I saw one flipped over tonight and my 6 line picking at it. I thought the fish was having a nice meal but then noticed that the fish was actually "stuck". Turns out the fish tried to pick at the snail but the snail latched onto the fish's mouth and the fish got stuck and was being eaten. I tried blasting the snail with a pipette so the fish would be let go but the snail wouldn't give. I eventually had to use a bone cutter to chip the snail away until the mouth of the fish got released. I initially thought about just pulling the fish from the snail but luckily I didn't because the entire mouth was in deep and I probably would've killed the fish. The fish is struggling right now and I hope it makes it.

Edit: Just thought I'd share because I never saw this before and was shocked when I realized that the fish was actually the one being eaten.

1660017432485.png

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dozen or so Astraea? snails (the ones that cannot flip over and die). I saw one flipped over tonight and my 6 line picking at it. I thought the fish was having a nice meal but then noticed that the fish was actually "stuck". Turns out the fish tried to pick at the snail but the snail latched onto the fish's mouth and the fish got stuck and was being eaten. I tried blasting the snail with a pipette so the fish would be let go but the snail wouldn't give. I eventually had to use a bone cutter to chip the snail away until the mouth of the fish got released. I initially thought about just pulling the fish from the snail but luckily I didn't because the entire mouth was in deep and I probably would've killed the fish. The fish is struggling right now and I hope it makes it.

Edit: Just thought I'd share because I never saw this before and was shocked when I realized that the fish was actually the one being eaten.

1660017432485.png
Same thing happened to me last night I was able to save both of them but the 6 line struggled a little bit throughout the night but now it’s good.
Never seen this happen before I thought I was the only one that happened to

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, but the wrasse picked a fight with the wrong snail

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question this. The snail is a herbivore. Also, any snail that is on it's back will struggle and grab anything it can possibly reach in order to right itself. Could be that the inquisitive wrasse was just being used as a lever to turn the snail over.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back