Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astro's 250 Reefer Mixed Reef Tank

11/14
IMG_3118.png

12/07:
IMG_3432.jpeg

Hey all! I am a new reefer and member of this forum from Canada!
I started the hobby with a Fluval 32.5g tank, but after a month in I decided to upgrade to a Red Sea Reefer 250.
With a new tank comes a new build thread, and here it is!

For this tank I plan on slowly adding a very wide range of corals, CUCs, and fish.

Disclaimer: I am very new to the hobby and have already made many mistakes, so please feel free to share any tips, ideas, or any resources that you think could help me in this journey. :)

Timeline:
  • 11/15 Transferred 25 gallons, all rocks, all livestock to the new tank and added 40 gallons of new SW​
  • 11/16 Added two reefwave 25's, and two reefLED 90's.​
  • 11/23 Added yellow watchmen goby, tiger pistol shrimp, skimmer​
  • 11/26 Created Zoanthid garden & Got two clownfish​

Gear:

Current Livestock:
  • 2 Astrea snails
  • 4 hermit crabs
  • 9 Trochus snails
  • 4 Nasaria snails
  • 2 Bullethole Clownfish
  • Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Tiger Pistol Shrimp
  • Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone
  • Small Bubble Coral
  • A GSP frag - glued to a rock
  • 10 zoanthids
    • LA LAkers
    • Eagle Eye
    • Fire and Ice
    • Pluto passion
    • RR Purple Panther
    • Disco inferno
    • Playboy Bunny
    • Sakura sunrise
  • Painted War Favia
  • Green Acropora Millepora

Future Plans:
  • Get a toadstool or finger leather coral
  • Get encrusting corals: cyphastrea, astreo, favia, etc.
  • Get a clam
  • Eventually with enough livestock I plan to add a controller system: Apex/Profilux seems to be the most popular, but unsure.

Modified Cabinet:
IMG_3428.jpeg
IMG_3429.jpeg

Transferring Tank:

IMG_3082.jpeg

Cable Management:
Before:
62727548588__5B4B39F2-3337-4B57-83F3-3023AE9CE18E.jpeg

After:
IMG_3112.jpeg

Mistakes:
  • I bought a red sea starter kit with nopox and didn't realize that without a skimmer, it would suffocate my fish. As a result I lost both of my clown fish and an urchin.
  • I should have definitely aquascaped before adding all of the water over
  • Bought too many things from my LFS that I didn't need: starter kit that I didn't use due to having a live rock, and Ca/Mg/Alk dosing kit despite not having any testers for it.
  • Did not realize just how bright my lights are on my tank, having wanted it in my room, it makes it rather blue throughout the day.
  • tbh, I should have gotten the XL 200 instead. I knew I could afford the tank itself, but when you add in the lights and powerheads, you're looking at 2x the cost of the tank. Plus, all the expenses for maintenance and future livestock will be more due to the extra size. However it is nice knowing I can keep this reeftank for 20+ years due to not needing to upgrade.

Shoutouts:
  • /r/ReefTank and their discord! All awesome people who have been so helpful in starting out this hobby.
  • Nano Tank Reefer & Hobby Sci Awesome youtubers with the same tank; very inspiring setups!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers! I attempted to rearrange my aquascape this morning and see if I like it. I attached images of it face on and at an angle looking down. Additionally I drew over the structure to illustrate the rocks used.

I have no idea what to do with the donut or the huge right rock. I also have another arch that I put in the sump.
Let me know what you guys think and if you recommend any other aquascapes!

I am hoping to turn on the slanted rock under the middle-right arch into a Zoanthid garden. Additionally I want to grow a GSP rock as seen in the front left of tank. I am not sure if I should just leave the anemone there, or if it might prefer a different location.

Before:
IMG_3118.jpg

Angle:
Aquascape-angle.png

What's What:
Aquascape-angle-named.png

Front facing:
Aquascape-front.png

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers! I attempted to rearrange my aquascape this morning and see if I like it. I attached images of it face on and at an angle looking down. Additionally I drew over the structure to illustrate the rocks used.

I have no idea what to do with the donut or the huge right rock. I also have another arch that I put in the sump.

I am hoping to turn on the slanted rock under the middle-right arch into a Zoanthid garden. Additionally I want to grow a GSP rock as seen in the front left of tank. I am not sure if I should just leave the anemone there, or if it might prefer a different location.

Before:
IMG_3118.jpg

Angle:
Aquascape-angle.png

What's What:

Front facing:
Aquascape-front.png
@Astro great start! If you want a controller go for an Apex. They keep getting better. I have a Reefer 250 too!!! Click on my Build Thread Contributor banner underneath my username, link takes you to my thread.

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! I like your rockwork and I'm in the process of laying out my rock for my 250 too, so I'm just behind you in my build. Did you rework the scape yet? If you haven't, I'd try replacing one of the large rocks with the donut rock to have more open space. Or put one of those rocks on top of other rock to build up higher. I'm curious to see what you do next!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before:
IMG_3118.jpg

Angle:
Aquascape-angle.png

What's What:

Front facing:
Aquascape-front.png
@Astro looks like your rock is already covered with some life. Did you buy it that way? You’ll have some height for growth. I would get some sticks and not upgrade my tank just let it all grow upwards.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Astro looks like your rock is already covered with some life. Did you buy it that way? You’ll have some height for growth. I would get some sticks and not upgrade my tank just let it all grow upwards.
I only bought that one life rock which has fortunately brought a tremendous amount of life and coraline! I also had most of these rocks setup in a different tank earlier. Ooo definitely! I want to throw a ton of SPS in there and fill up the tank with coral. But also don’t want it to be completely dominant.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of updates since I have last posted!
IMG_3427.jpeg
IMG_3432.jpeg

Livestock Updates:
- Got a Yellow watchmen goby & tiger pistol shrimp
shrimp:goby.jpeg

- Got two bullethole clown fish (something is wrong with the bigger one with her left eye being puffed up and pale.)

IMG_3433.jpeg

- Made a zoanthid garden
zoanthid.jpeg

- Got a couple cyphastrea frags

Tank Updates:
-
I have taken others advice and added an ikea cabinet to my main cabinet, added a protein skimmer, an ATO unit attached to a brute 20g bucket in my closet,
IMG_3428.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

- Additionally as you can see in the first photo I have changed around my rockwork. Still unsatisfied with the rock work, but nothing is cemented yet.
- I also built this device with pvc piping for water changes, inspired by HobbySci (not sure if he has a reef2reef account).
IMG_3437.jpeg

Future plans:
- I hope to save my clownfish, however my LFS said they do not carry anything that is required to heal him. I at first thought it was popeye, but have since learned its brookynella.
- I hope to find a balance of what I like with the rockwork. I have stashed a couple of pieces in my sump for now, but am honestly too lazy with finals happening right now.
- I am struggling increasing my nitrates from 0, not sure if it's just the algae that's rocking me or what. But I hope I can resolve it soon :)
- My one reefwave 25 controller doesn't work, so RedSea fortunately is sending me a replacement for free that should come within the next week.
- I'm also not sure if I enjoy the placement of the reefwaves on the sides, I tried in the back but am also not sure how I like them there either.
- Lastly my goby/shrimp/BTA have taken to love my live rock which makes me afraid to move it for aquascaping. sump.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like your build. I have a reefer 250 myself with 2 clowns and a zoa garden. Like the redo on the aquascape!

Thanks so much!! Do you have a build thread as well? I'd love to see your zoa garden! All the pictures I can find are super photo-shopped matured gardens :p

edit: I did see your post about lids, and I have the red sea DIY lid for my tank (forgot to put that in a post haha) but it is really great. I have never used a hacksaw until I made it, but it turned out really well with only a few re-attempts to get the measurements right. It's very light and to take it off you can just grab the middle bar and rest it on your lights. Additionally it has the most minimal look out of any other lids I've seen. The only downside is you need to take it off every time you feed. I plan on 3D printing a 2x2 inch lid that I can put on the net with a small removable opening to feed threw.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've played around a bit with my reefled 90s and reefwave 45s, I am still not sure if these settings are ideal in any way shape or form, and slowly changing the lights every week or so. No real idea what I'm doing with pumps lol.

Here are my lighting and wavemaker settings if anyones interested:
IMG_0338.PNG

IMG_0337.PNG

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Astro it's good to know more companies are coming out with a plethora of equipment that can be integrated with a user interface like Reefbeat, Mobius, Fusion, etc. Red Sea's Reefbeat platform looks very promising. BTW, Reefer 250 owner here. Following.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Astro it's good to know more companies are coming out with a plethora of equipment that can be integrated with a user interface like Reefbeat, Mobius, Fusion, etc. Red Sea's Reefbeat platform looks very promising. BTW, Reefer 250 owner here. Following.
Yes! I wish there was an app like google/alexa/siri that connects to them all and integrates their functionality into one :p Even for feeding I use alexa smart plugs, but then have to either manually, or use the app to pause pumps for feeding.
But yes! I'm actually a software developer and it really impressed me that a product like lights, pumps, wavemakers, etc are all built with wifi and can be integrated with an app. And apex/GHL on top of that, incredible!

I'll check out your build thread too!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I wish there was an app like google/alexa/siri that connects to them all and integrates their functionality into one :p Even for feeding I use alexa smart plugs, but then have to either manually, or use the app to pause pumps for feeding.
But yes! I'm actually a software developer and it really impressed me that a product like lights, pumps, wavemakers, etc are all built with wifi and can be integrated with an app. And apex/GHL on top of that, incredible!

I'll check out your build thread too!
@Astro that would be cool, an integrated app!!! I think my echo dot does something where it performs several tasks at one time but I forgot what they're called. I play oceans sounds from my echo for my reef complete with seagulls calling. I would like to set up my echo so it makes rain and thunder sounds at the same time each day when my Radions go into storm mode. When my dad was stationed in the Philippines for the Navy he said it rained at 2:00 every day. I don't know if it does that there all year around or just in the rainy season but in the tropical regions of the ocean where our livestock is indigenous it storms quite often. Just my $0.02

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm following along. We do have very similar tanks! You're just ahead of me. I'm going to take your idea of hanging maintenance tools on the inside of the cabinet door with those 3M hooks :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back