Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still confused about:
- one of my clowns still has white on her side which kinda worries me
- I still keep reading 0 nitrates/phosphates in my tank, obviously I don't want high and it's still not a lot of fish or corals, and i have algae growth, just weird it's still 0 after a month or so.
If anyone has advice, tips, or any thing at all! Let me know!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!! One of mine as well! Do you know if I can have other Wrasse's in my tank? I read they don't like more then one, but i'm. not sure if it means only one sixline, or only one wrasse.
@Astro in my experience, there's no set-in-stone rules to fish compatibility. And once you think you've figured out your community of fish's compatibility chart it will then change in five minutes, not counting additions and removals from your tank causing chaos. It rather goes by individual preference between all the fish's acceptance and toleration for each other. So there are rules about compatibility but you shouldn't bank on them. When I first started my journey in this hobby there were fish compatibility charts but I rarely see them anymore in fish discussion forums. To be honest I would ask in the The Wrasse Lover's Thread! click here.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Astro in my experience, there's no set-in-stone rules to fish compatibility. And once you think you've figured out your community of fish's compatibility chart it will then change in five minutes, not counting additions and removals from your tank causing chaos. It rather goes by individual preference between all the fish's acceptance and toleration for each other. So there are rules about compatibility but you shouldn't bank on them. When I first started my journey in this hobby there were fish compatibility charts but I rarely see them anymore in fish discussion forums. To be honest I would ask in the The Wrasse Lover's Thread! click here.
Ah okay, I've kind of been hinted at that before I think. I was looking into a snowflake eel, but so many places say they aren't compatible with stuff like clowns, and on some posts they talk about how it has a personality and each one is different lol, but that makes a lot more sense now.

On another note, is it normal for the sixline being covered with white dots? I just looked at him and he is absolutely covered from head to tail in tiny white dots; I assume they're just substrate stuck to him, but I'm not sure. Might post in that section too, hadn't even noticed theres fish-specific sections haha

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be substrate attached to him. I know my fish have white specs here and there and I freak out thinking it’s ich or velvet, but when I feed them and they go into frenzy feeding it disappears. I’m not sure about six line but my exquisite wrasse sleeps in a mucus cocoon at night.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay, I've kind of been hinted at that before I think. I was looking into a snowflake eel, but so many places say they aren't compatible with stuff like clowns, and on some posts they talk about how it has a personality and each one is different lol, but that makes a lot more sense now.

On another note, is it normal for the sixline being covered with white dots? I just looked at him and he is absolutely covered from head to tail in tiny white dots; I assume they're just substrate stuck to him, but I'm not sure. Might post in that section too, hadn't even noticed theres fish-specific sections haha
@Astro The Sixline I had slept in a mucus cocoon every night. I think they shed it in the morning and eat it. It could be remnants of a cocoon with sand but just to be sure I’d take a picture and post it on the fish disease forum.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Astro The Sixline I had slept in a mucus cocoon every night. I think they shed it in the morning and eat it. It could be remnants of a cocoon with sand but just to be sure I’d take a picture and post it on the fish disease forum.
Any tips? I can't even walk near tank without him running behind rocks in the shadows haha, too hard to capture photos.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips? I can't even walk near tank without him running behind rocks in the shadows haha, too hard to capture photos.
I’m getting one of these for my wrasse(s). Just thought I’d give you a heads up on it. I have a bare bottom and I’ll put sand in here for sand sleepers. It’s a wrasse sand bowl from Aqua Rocks Habitat but it’s not on their website, you have to ask for it specifically. The small holes are to stick in frag plugs. I plan to grow a carpet of Zoanthids on mine.
89FD993A-548E-412C-A566-59FD5A968882.jpeg

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I watched a video on taking photos of your tank with DSLR and pulled out my old one, here are some of my shots (out of like 500). Settings are tough to configure haha.

Attachments

• DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0104.JPG
    DSC_0104.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0136.JPG
    DSC_0136.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0203.JPG
    DSC_0203.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0218.JPG
    DSC_0218.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0415.JPG
    DSC_0415.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting one of these for my wrasse(s). Just thought I’d give you a heads up on it. I have a bare bottom and I’ll put sand in here for sand sleepers. It’s a wrasse sand bowl from Aqua Rocks Habitat but it’s not on their website, you have to ask for it specifically. The small holes are to stick in frag plugs. I plan to grow a carpet of Zoanthids on mine.
89FD993A-548E-412C-A566-59FD5A968882.jpeg
That's actually really cool; I was actually wondering what bare-bottom tanks do with fish that use substrate and whether the absence of it is harmful, but that's a really neat workaround!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!! Do you have a build thread as well? I'd love to see your zoa garden! All the pictures I can find are super photo-shopped matured gardens :p

edit: I did see your post about lids, and I have the red sea DIY lid for my tank (forgot to put that in a post haha) but it is really great. I have never used a hacksaw until I made it, but it turned out really well with only a few re-attempts to get the measurements right. It's very light and to take it off you can just grab the middle bar and rest it on your lights. Additionally it has the most minimal look out of any other lids I've seen. The only downside is you need to take it off every time you feed. I plan on 3D printing a 2x2 inch lid that I can put on the net with a small removable opening to feed threw.
I had created another thread asking for help identifying my cardinals and realized it was actually a pretty nice pic of my Zoa Garden. Here it is!

Attachments

• Tina_&_Jimmy (2).jpg
    Tina_&_Jimmy (2).jpg
    225 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had created another thread asking for help identifying my cardinals and realized it was actually a pretty nice pic of my Zoa Garden. Here it is!
I dig it!
Here is an updated version of mine; lost a couple from really bad aiptasia, and just pulled off some of the hair algae.
IMG_0475.jpeg

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeling pretty good about my copepod population so I bit the bullet and got a Mandarin fish and a dragon face pipe fish. Both were appearing to be eating and doing well. However unfortunately this morning I woke up to find the pipe fish laying a meter from the tank on the ground :( I'm not sure what made him jump, how he could even jump so far with such a little fin, and how he jumped through my red sea lid (he'd fit, just need perfect accuracy).
IMG_3950.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

In other news, I found this absolute unit of a bristle worm that's maybe 4" long. I last saw a bristle worm in my GSP but was easily half the diameter and max 2". I left him in there since I assume its fine.
IMG_3882.jpeg
IMG_3880.jpeg

Lastly, I'm unsure if I'm overfeeding or if there's genuinely something wrong with my clowns due to the size of their stomachs being quite bloated. I've cut back feeding and it has shrunk down.
IMG_3892.jpeg
IMG_0480.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpeg

Anddd here's just cute pics of them:
IMG_3867.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone have an idea what these white dots are on the back of my tank? I've been getting hydroids on front glass, but these just look like white dots with no tentacles or anything. Is it coraline?
IMG_3964.jpeg

Also I'm not sure if anyone here is into instagram, but I made an account as well for the tank https://www.instagram.com/astrosreef/ :)

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear of the pipe fish's leap! Your tank build seems to be going great though. I wish I could get my clowns to host my BTA. Did yours naturally go to it or did you do something to encourage it? I have a similar size build up and running for almost a year - it’s a WB 100.3. I’m also new to hobby so I’ll be following along here!! Good work!

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone have an idea what these white dots are on the back of my tank? I've been getting hydroids on front glass, but these just look like white dots with no tentacles or anything. Is it coraline?
IMG_3964.jpeg

Also I'm not sure if anyone here is into instagram, but I made an account as well for the tank https://www.instagram.com/astrosreef/ :)
Those are some kind of harmless snails. They are harmless and a sign of a good ecosystem of a saltwater aquarium. Pretty much impossible to eradicate. They come in on frags by the dozens...no need to worry...

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeling pretty good about my copepod population so I bit the bullet and got a Mandarin fish and a dragon face pipe fish. Both were appearing to be eating and doing well. However unfortunately this morning I woke up to find the pipe fish laying a meter from the tank on the ground :( I'm not sure what made him jump, how he could even jump so far with such a little fin, and how he jumped through my red sea lid (he'd fit, just need perfect accuracy).
IMG_3950.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

In other news, I found this absolute unit of a bristle worm that's maybe 4" long. I last saw a bristle worm in my GSP but was easily half the diameter and max 2". I left him in there since I assume its fine.
IMG_3882.jpeg
IMG_3880.jpeg

Lastly, I'm unsure if I'm overfeeding or if there's genuinely something wrong with my clowns due to the size of their stomachs being quite bloated. I've cut back feeding and it has shrunk down.
IMG_3892.jpeg
IMG_0480.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpeg

Anddd here's just cute pics of them:
IMG_3867.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg
@Astro I would be concerned about your clowns. That doesn’t look good. I suspect internal worms. First check out the fish disease forum on this website. I just found out about this product https://apifishcare.com/product/general-cure
You might want to check it out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back