Asymptomatic diseased fish

40lbBear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a fish be an asymptomatic carrier of a disease, seemingly immune to its effects, while spreading to and killing others in the same tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can a fish be an asymptomatic carrier of a disease, seemingly immune to its effects, while spreading to and killing others in the same tank?
While possible. A given fish is the host and once the parasite develops a life cycle. It reproduces and seeks other hosts who then contract the issue
Some aquatic life are resistant but rarely immune to disease

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very rare. Most diseases that spread in a tanks are protozoans or worms. A fish may carry a disease like that for a time and not show symptoms - until stressed. The carrier is often the first fish to show symptoms and/or die.

Jay

OP
OP
40lbBear

40lbBear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very rare. Most diseases that spread in a tanks are protozoans or worms. A fish may carry a disease like that for a time and not show symptoms - until stressed. The carrier is often the first fish to show symptoms and/or die.

Jay
so, no Typhoid Mary of the aquatic world?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, no Typhoid Mary of the aquatic world?
I can’t think of an example. The trouble is that home aquarists rely on visual symptoms only to diagnose diseases. If there was a Typhoid Mary, they’d never know it.
Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Could this occur with fish that are generally more resistant to disease due to thicker mucus coats? As an example, a clownfish bringing in ich but something like a hawk or tang succumbing first, or would the clown always show signs first making it identifiable as patient zero?

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert, but I did see some somewhere there was some evidence of fish with thicker mucous coatings previously treated in low levels of copper long term (such as in lfs running copper) not showing physical signs of marine velvet. I will see if I can locate where I read this, as I am unsure of the validity of the source currently.

OP
OP
40lbBear

40lbBear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Could this occur with fish that are generally more resistant to disease due to thicker mucus coats? As an example, a clownfish bringing in ich but something like a hawk or tang succumbing first, or would the clown always show signs first making it identifiable as patient zero?
My situation: tank got wiped out, all except a long nose buttery. First two seemed reclusive following a cleaning, but not unusual for them. Dead within a day. Each looked like they had brook or velvet. I got the remaining into QT, each died within the week, similar pattern except no visible signs of disease like the first two. The LNB went through QT, tank was fallow for recommended periods. Introduced two new fish into a newly sterile QT with the LNB, and each are now dead. Reclusive, no signs of disease besides that. Water parameters are fine.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get them into copper? Velvet is a fast killer, and by the time the characteristic white spots with velvet it is often too late.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
That's a good point - people have implicated mandarin gobies and moray eels in doing that, but I've never actually seen it myself.

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back