At a Loss Here

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my zoa colonies isn't doing to well. Of course it is my favorite one by far as it was one of my first zoas I bought when I started last year. Went from 3 heads to 60 and now most have been closed up for a couple weeks.

All of my other zoas are doing great except this one. I let it go for about a week and a half just to not cause any drastic changes and hope for improvement. I was looking closer today and I saw this little critter type thing and I have no idea what it is, but it was right by the colony. I don't know if this is the cause, but it's worth a shot. I couldn't get a picture because it's so small, but the best I can explain is 2 tenticals/feeler type things and that's literally all I can see. I found a couple more under the rock the colony is on.

The feelers are attached to what looks like clumped up sand. My girlfriend actually noticed the clumps of sand forming a couple months ago, but it didn't look like an issue. Picture about a half an inch of sand molded into a worm shape with 2 antenna looking feelers at the top. That's the best way I can describe whatever this is. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be and if it may be causing these issues?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying it is so dont panic but look up zoa eating nudi then you can confirm or rule out what it is or is not.
Im new to the hobby but i read zoa pests among many are zoa eating spiders and zoa eating nudis.
Good luck and hope you find out and your first zoas open again soon for you ^_^

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a picture and it eating zoas, I'm guessing a zoa eating nudibranch . From the internet:

1625010619850.png

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this might be it! I searched it and got this pic on google which is very accurate -

worm-example-jpg.633164

Are these things a big issue and could be causing my zoas to close?
My understanding is that they are generally harmless though might irritate some corals. I have them in my tank and never had any issue with them though.

Edit: I'd highly doubt these are causing the problems with your zoa.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats one.i see first reply was using correct name.your best to judge as can see in person.i will leave experts tell you of can irritate corals or not

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back