At a loss on how to plumb my UV to a new manifold...

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I recently upgraded to a Waterbox 220.6 that has a manifold built into the preset plumbing. The manifold has connections for 1/2" NPT. Problem I'm running into is that my AquaUV uses 3/4" tubing. I for the life of my cannot figure out what to do about this. Google searches and the LFS both failed to turn up a 1/2"NPT & 3/4" barb. I really don't want to run this on a pump as the Waterbox sump is severely lacking in space.. I have nowhere to put the thing. Any thoughts?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have to ise an extra adapter to make it work. My advice is go to lowes/HD/Ace and find the oldest guy working in there and show him what you got and need....they usually can put together something that works.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have to ise an extra adapter to make it work. My advice is go to lowes/HD/Ace and find the oldest guy working in there and show him what you got and need....they usually can put together something that works.
I've tried that.. realized pretty quickly that no one actually works in these places anymore.

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful running a UV unit off a manifold.

UV units generally require a certain rate of flow to achieve a given purpose (Such as parasite suppression). If you have a manifold on which you run other equipment, you may find that the flow through your UV unit is not consistent and thus the unit may not deliver the outcome you're hoping for.

When running UV off a manifold, it's a good idea to have a way to measure the flow through the unit, so that you can validate that it has the appropriate flow given your application.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful running a UV unit off a manifold.

UV units generally require a certain rate of flow to achieve a given purpose (Such as parasite suppression). If you have a manifold on which you run other equipment, you may find that the flow through your UV unit is not consistent and thus the unit may not deliver the outcome you're hoping for.

When running UV off a manifold, it's a good idea to have a way to measure the flow through the unit, so that you can validate that it has the appropriate flow given your application.
Why would it not be consistent?

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding or removing equipment from the manifold will alter the flow to all other pieces of equipment attached to the manifold.

Using equipment like fluid reactors, they may clog over time and require cleaning. Events like this will also alter the flow through other equipment sharing the manifold.

For most equipment, this is not an issue, but UV requires a specific range of flow rate in order to achieve sterilisation of different organisms. Running it off a dedicated pump with a valve to adjust flow is the best way to achieve consistent flow through the unit.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding or removing equipment from the manifold will alter the flow to all other pieces of equipment attached to the manifold.

Using equipment like fluid reactors, they may clog over time and require cleaning. Events like this will also alter the flow through other equipment sharing the manifold.

For most equipment, this is not an issue, but UV requires a specific range of flow rate in order to achieve sterilisation of different organisms. Running it off a dedicated pump with a valve to adjust flow is the best way to achieve consistent flow through the unit.
Ah, the UV will be the only equipment attached to the manifold.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have an Apex highly encourage a FMM+Flow meter for your UV. You will likely be surprised by the GPH you get through it.

I have a Varios-8 feeding my manifold with just the UV online, I only get 550-650 GPH through the UV tanks to the restriction on piping and bends.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have an Apex highly encourage a FMM+Flow meter for your UV. You will likely be surprised by the GPH you get through it.

I have a Varios-8 feeding my manifold with just the UV online, I only get 550-650 GPH through the UV tanks to the restriction on piping and bends.
I mean.. that's much more flow than you want for a UV...

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean.. that's much more flow than you want for a UV...

Completely dependent on what you're using it for and the wattage per gallon/exposure time.

Per my manufacturers specs it is actually about 300 GPH "low" for optimal sterilization of Algae/Bacteria. Which I would assume is the most utilized implementation for reef tanks unless you're battling protozoa or eukaryotes. Which I can reduce down to if needed. I would definitely prefer more headroom through the manifold personally.

The bigger point made is that a Varios-8 is rated for 2700 GPH, so pump ratings aren't the most accurate especially considering restriction through a manifold and UV

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely dependent on what you're using it for and the wattage per gallon/exposure time.

Per my manufacturers specs it is actually about 300 GPH "low" for optimal sterilization of Algae/Bacteria. Which I would assume is the most utilized implementation for reef tanks unless you're battling protozoa or eukaryotes. Which I can reduce down to if needed. I would definitely prefer more headroom through the manifold personally.

The bigger point made is that a Varios-8 is rated for 2700 GPH, so pump ratings aren't the most accurate especially considering restriction through a manifold and UV
AH, I'm with you now. Appreciate the heads up. I'm aware of the reduction of flow through the twists, turns and of course the reducer. I'm confident that I'll still be able to pull the 250-350 gph I need for proper sterilization ;)

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AH, I'm with you now. Appreciate the heads up. I'm aware of the reduction of flow through the twists, turns and of course the reducer. I'm confident that I'll still be able to pull the 250-350 gph I need for proper sterilization ;)

Fair enough. Out of curiosity though, your tank is ~200g right? What's your UV wattage? And what are you implementing the UV for?

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Out of curiosity though, your tank is ~200g right? What's your UV wattage? And what are you implementing the UV for?
Tank is 220 with just water, so probably 180-200. Currently using my 25w AquaUV, will likely upgrade to 40w at some point. Using it for sterilization.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 220 with just water, so probably 180-200. Currently using my 25w AquaUV, will likely upgrade to 40w at some point. Using it for sterilization.

Sterilization of protozoa such as ich or algae/bacterial?

Did you contact Aqua UV?

For the 25w unit AquaUV recommended stats are 150g/1200 GPH for 30,000 µw/cm² which would be a algae/bacteria dosage. For protozoa you need closer to 180,000 µw/cm² which using the chart on AquaUV instructions works out to something like 58gph to get the necessary dosage which would fall well below turn over minimums for effective sterilization even on the rated tank size (150 gal/31% smaller). If you want something to sterilize protozoa you'll probably need to go 80W or higher. Only sharing because I went through this same exercise not so long ago. FWIW, the Pentair chart has much easier dosage recommendations as far as size/flow rate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back