OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You on city water? That’d be my guess right there. Get an icp on your tap water too. Prime is only good for neutralizing chlorine and chloramine from tap water there’s lots else in tap water.

L.A. city water..... Let me TDS it....

7C420987-6E0E-43E3-B8A4-5969DEAE8198.jpeg

Ive seen worse but who knows what’s in there you’re right.

anyone else here in San Fernando Valley use Tap in their tank with a Nem?

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question.... Was your nem fine before attaching his foot to the magnet? Is it possible he's absorbing something toxic from the magnet? I know nothing of nems but have read about some magnets putting out nasty stuff. It's always so awful to see our creatures get sick!!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is above 150 and I would never use it if it doesn’t get under 10. With that being said my tds on my old home was 300+ with well water and I just used tap water. Cities basically recycle urine and nasty water into reusable water by treating it with tons of chemicals so there is all sorts of nasty stuff in there.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question.... Was your nem fine before attaching his foot to the magnet? Is it possible he's absorbing something toxic from the magnet? I know nothing of nems but have read about some magnets putting out nasty stuff. It's always so awful to see our creatures get sick!!

Good question, and I'd be open to that as well.

I'm open to any reason as to what I can't explain why this thing is sick hahaha.

But unfortunately he's been on the decline since about 5 days after I moved him. meaning it's directly related im sure to the water, but what do I need to fix. IDK....

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel like your tank is still cycling, whether you may think it is or it isn't, just look at the algae on your sand bed as a clue. And yes you can't put a precise number on a natural process but I think that's why the general consensus on cycling a tank is about 3 months. 2-8 weeks is the length it may take but really after 3 months you can say you did your due diligence and allowed the natural process to occur properly.

+1

You're running off tap? Gotta pay to play man. Get RODI.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my only question then would be in the first system that's 1 month old and younger he was happy, eating, puffy and happy.

So what's the difference?

I get that maybe it's not mature enough, but if possible hopefully someone insight into more than just the nitrification cycle in terms of a tank maturing?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not condoning anything here, but I have thrown nems in newish tanks years ago and they were fine. Bash away if you like, but I have over 30 nems now and all are doing well, granted they are not thrown in tanks on whim anymore lol, but currently have 2 in cipro as they got delayed a day in shipping and looked bad. Note: I do not treat all nems, I only treat if needed.

So with that said, here is what I have seen with haddonis. I have rescued quite a few from fellow reefers who did bad things and about killed them.

They are tough and if not sick can handle this. Again, not sick, but need some questions answered to determine if sick.

So here we go with the observations and questions, as what is done is done. No going back, just forward and towards a fix.

Observation one: nem was bleached in August.
Observation two: nem does not look bleached now. That is a good thing.

Question 1: what does the mouth look like? Closed? Not gaping? No “guts” sticking out?

Question 2: all of the rock and such came from the old tank right?

Question 3: Is the nem inflating and deflating or just staying small?

Question 4: how much tap water did you use? Nems hate chlorine and chloramines. It seriously ticks them off.

Question 5: do you have a tank or container to put the crab in? Ticked off nems do not need any added stress. The crab may irritate things more.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, and I'd be open to that as well.

I'm open to any reason as to what I can't explain why this thing is sick hahaha.

But unfortunately he's been on the decline since about 5 days after I moved him. meaning it's directly related im sure to the water, but what do I need to fix. IDK....
Sorry to hear that. I hope he pulls through!! Can you put him back in the original tank he was doing well in? Apologies if you mentioned you tried that already.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not condoning anything here, but I have thrown nems in newish tanks years ago and they were fine. Bash away if you like, but I have over 30 nems now and all are doing well, granted they are not thrown in tanks on whim anymore lol, but currently have 2 in cipro as they got delayed a day in shipping and looked bad. Note: I do not treat all nems, I only treat if needed.

So with that said, here is what I have seen with haddonis. I have rescued quite a few from fellow reefers who did bad things and about killed them.

They are tough and if not sick can handle this. Again, not sick, but need some questions answered to determine if sick.

So here we go with the observations and questions, as what is done is done. No going back, just forward and towards a fix.

Observation one: nem was bleached in August.
Observation two: nem does not look bleached now. That is a good thing.

Question 1: what does the mouth look like? Closed? Not gaping? No “guts” sticking out?

Question 2: all of the rock and such came from the old tank right?

Question 3: Is the nem inflating and deflating or just staying small?

Question 4: how much tap water did you use? Nems hate chlorine and chloramines. It seriously ticks them off.

Question 5: do you have a tank or container to put the crab in? Ticked off nems do not need any added stress. The crab may irritate things more.
ALRIGHT!

This is the type of discourse I want. Here we go baby.

So he was bleached then? I thought possibly too, but wasn't sure.

Mouth is closed now, but it changes, every 3 days or so since August 30th I've caught it gaping, and I cry and say alright todays the day... he's gonna die.

Then tomorrow it's closed.......

He used to inflate deflate, inflate deflate, inflate deflate, but today is the first day he just gave up :-( He's not even trying.

I used 100% tap water on initial start up, have W/C'd about 30G now.

I have a breeder net and I'll probably put hte nem in the net as my clowns also beat him up all day everyday.

I do have a 10G nano with a completely different water system that is about 2 1/2 months old now, but I don't want to move him at all like that.

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look we can argue all day about this but I don't think there's a super objective answer to it. Maturity plays a role. We definitely don't test for everything in a tank and there's no way to say for sure what is affecting your anemone. I've had all kinds of anemones (bubble tips, rock, tube, sebea, LTAs, Mertens, carpets, ritteris, you name it) in my years in the hobby and I truly believe they are very sensitive creatures.

I don't want to comment on the water situation yet because I haven't fully understood, do you use tap water or RO/DI?

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look we can argue all day about this but I don't think there's a super objective answer to it. Maturity plays a role. We definitely don't test for everything in a tank and there's no way to say for sure what is affecting your anemone. I've had all kinds of anemones (bubble tips, rock, tube, sebea, LTAs, Mertens, carpets, ritteris, you name it) in my years in the hobby and I truly believe they are very sensitive creatures.

I don't want to comment on the water situation yet because I haven't fully understood, do you use tap water or RO/DI?
I agree man, and I'm not trying to be a dick to you when you're trying to help.

I'm just trying to get MORE info as to what maybe is wrong with the water.

I started it with Tap with Prime.

Since been using RODI mix to do water changes. done about 30G of W/C's

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my only question then would be in the first system that's 1 month old and younger he was happy, eating, puffy and happy.

So what's the difference?

I get that maybe it's not mature enough, but if possible hopefully someone insight into more than just the nitrification cycle in terms of a tank maturing?

You have to remember, a fresh new tank that hasn't had any die off is gonna be "clean," whether it's cycled or not. After a month and things are rotting, dying, nutrients are getting dumped into the water. In my opinion this is way too soon for a Carpet... You should of at least waited three months, like others have said. Most of the people here are going to have that opinion. Anemones are extremely sensitive.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to remember, a fresh new tank that hasn't had any die off is gonna be "clean," whether it's cycled or not. After a month and things are rotting, dying, nutrients are getting dumped into the water. In my opinion this is way too soon for a Carpet... You should of at least waited three months, like others have said.

Look I agree to a point.

But at THIS point, where we are NOW. 1 month later (And I have had 1 wrasse die, and cause a slight ammonia spike and it leveled out) and everything seems to be stabled out now, but the Nem is getting WORSE.

I'm just horrible with Fairy Wrasse.... I've killed all 3 I've gotten now.... Idk why..... they just die 2 days later.... :(

Actually my Mystery Wrasse is okay.

But Dwarf Angel which I consider harder than wrasse to keep is just fine....

It also did go through an ugly phase of insane algae, I did a blackout and some other tricks and killed it all off.

It's not like thsi tank started and was perfect from the get go, but I'm jsut saying at this point now, with SPS encrusting and growing faster than I've ever had them grow, I don't see why my nem should be freaking dying..

irritated by something okay, but still dying and not getting better. idk.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALRIGHT!

This is the type of discourse I want. Here we go baby.

So he was bleached then? I thought possibly too, but wasn't sure.

Mouth is closed now, but it changes, every 3 days or so since August 30th I've caught it gaping, and I cry and say alright todays the day... he's gonna die.

Then tomorrow it's closed.......

He used to inflate deflate, inflate deflate, inflate deflate, but today is the first day he just gave up :-( He's not even trying.

I used 100% tap water on initial start up, have W/C'd about 30G now.

I have a breeder net and I'll probably put hte nem in the net as my clowns also beat him up all day everyday.

I do have a 10G nano with a completely different water system that is about 2 1/2 months old now, but I don't want to move him at all like that.
Ok, so 100% tap and prime is no good. The stuff that prime does not remove worries me. Nems I have rescued in the past put in tap water tanks, all needed treatment in cipro. Somethings just throw bacteria all out of whack and add bacteria the nems do not need.

Is it possible for you to setup a small tank with hob filter, heater and a light?

Best case is to get into clean RODI based sw matched to temp, salinity and alk if you can. Alk, is not as big of a deal, as that is not as bad as the first 2 being off. Closer is better though for it.

Next step would be to treat with cipro, but fresh clean water should by some time.

Chewy has cipro available with no prescription and it is labeled as fish meds.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so 100% tap and prime is no good. The stuff that prime does not remove worries me. Nems I have rescued in the past put in tap water tanks, all needed treatment in cipro. Somethings just throw bacteria all out of whack and add bacteria the nems do not need.

Is it possible for you to setup a small tank with hob filter, heater and a light?

Best case is to get into clean RODI based sw matched to temp, salinity and alk if you can. Alk, is not as big of a deal, as that is not as bad as the first 2 being off. Closer is better though for it.

Next step would be to treat with cipro, but fresh clean water should by some time.

Chewy has cipro available with no prescription and it is labeled as fish meds.

I've got my 13G Fluval sitting, just took it down as a QT for all my fish I added 2 weeks ago.

I will get the Salinity and Temp dialed in perfectly and let you know.

I'll order some Cipro, what brand do you use?

With this I'll just try this for now and see what happens.

Any other nem caretakers with tips on Cipro treatment or another similar treatment welcome.

But yes we have discussed the maturity of the tank already we get it, that's up in the air, no one knows, I'll wait for my ICP test.

Should I use anything esle in the tank?

I've got wet rock from 4 days ago in a styrofoam box.... It might cause a huge cycle now....

Shuold I just do clean water and bare glass?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my 13G Fluval sitting, just took it down as a QT for all my fish I added 2 weeks ago.

I will get the Salinity and Temp dialed in perfectly and let you know.

I'll order some Cipro, what brand do you use?
I have a vet that writes me scripts for it when needed. He takes care of the stuff with my 200+ heads of cattle and has seen my tanks, so I don’t get an argument from him if I need meds.

Others have used this numerous times and I believe @OrionN mentions this one as well. Don’t quote me on that though. His thread on treatment is spot on and should be followed.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated as well. Always good to have the info and results, even if bad outcome (I pray not, as nems are my soft spot).

And don’t beat yourself up about this. We all have to live and learn. Ignore the negativity, hope all goes well, and if it doesn’t, lesson learned. Well, even if it does, lesson learned.

Again, we have all screwed up at some point. Anyone who says they haven’t is lying lol.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also did go through an ugly phase of insane algae, I did a blackout and some other tricks and killed it all off.

You shouldn't have an anemone that early, man. That's just what we're saying. If you are still having "Ugly phase," you're not ready for an anemone.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have an anemone that early, man. That's just what we're saying. If you are still having "Ugly phase," you're not ready for an anemone.

Lol. You mis-red, went through, not going through.

Also It was a tank upgrade so i transferred ALL of the Live Rock, and water and animals, so not like I bought him after the fact, if that makes sense.

This is as of right now,

I don't think this is an "ugly phase" maybe others would say it's ugly, but that hurts my feelings :p
IMG_0067.jpeg

Okay no, that zoa frag turned over on the left is definitely ugly, XD

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's done is done. Just let him be, maybe use RODI for your next water change and just observe it. It's been through alot of stress and needs to adjust and settle in. Feed the tank some frozen mysis and if it grabs some - good but don't fret if it doesn't. I have one that I thought was a "goner" and is now the size of a dinner plate. IME they do better when left alone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back