At my wits end. Is this Dino’s?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your problem is the zero nitrates and phosphates. When they zero out, it can cause dinos. I’d remove as much of the green algae as you can, as it’s consuming nitrates and phosphates. You can up the feeding or even dose nitrates and phosphates to get them above zero if that doesn’t work. I’d take out any gfo if you’re running it. You can also turn off the lights for a few days, but if you don’t get your numbers above zero, they’ll come back. Take things slow and once you get your nutrients up a little, I think it will clear up. Good luck!

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. +1 on raising nitrate and phosphate. Minimum of 2ppm and .03ppm respectively
I had lots of Dino issues and I raised my nutrients both by feeding more and dosing.
Also I put a UV on my tank and I have not had issues with Dinos since.

also, your alkalinity really needs to go up desperately. I wouldn't be surprised if your pH was like 7.7. Looks like you only have a couple of coral but starting dosing with Kalkwasser will help a lot.

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t quite look like the same Dino algae I’m having problems with but regardless I know how frustrating this problem can be. My tank is young (6 months) and I’m trying to be patient in over coming to constant battle with algae. I’ve tried chemical means of getting rid of algae and although effective (had a bad hair algae outbreak on month 3) my corals did not respond well and I lost several of them even though the product claimed reef safe. From what I read what people end up doing in the end is going back to more natural means to get rid of the algae. Adding more PODS, dosing phytoplankton and additional bacteria, and adding more CUC to help, feeding more to get nitrates and phosphates up are ways I’ve been working on mine. I did a 3 day backout and afterwards my tank looked great...for about 3 days. Best advice I’ve heard that I now live by is this problem took months to happen and it might take months to get over it. Take it one day at a time!

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a doser and am not a fan of Kalk. Not sure how my DKH dropped, it’s usually at 8.2-8.5 so I’m going to mix some fresh salt and test it to make sure it’s mixing correctly. A UV is not an option for me sadly at this point either :(
Ok. Kalk is the cheapest way to manage alk and calcium while also boosting pH. You can set it up with a single head Doser for really cheap

Your first focus, though should be to raise nitrate and phosphate! Like today!
Another option is the bacteria/hydrogen peroxide dosing method which has varied results

If you still can’t get rid of it after getting stability, raising nutrients, and trying peroxide/bacteria method, UV is the most commonly successful way. Look up the “green killing machine” on Amazon. There are inexpensive ways to solve this issue.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since April 1st
Ahhh good then. You're doing fine. This is all just natural "uglies" and you are likely better than half way through them. One phase just follows the next as the biome develops some diversity. It takes a lot of time -- especially if you start with dead rock.

Just keep the basics stable and let it do its thing. Temperature, salinity, and maybe start monitoring nitrates and phosphates. A lot of interventions tend to just drag out the maturation process.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with hair algae and I thought was diatoms but maybe it’s Dino’s? I did have Dino’s with bubbles a while back and did a blackout with waste away and they left (at least the bubbles did). I’m about to tear this tank down and give up because I cannot seem to get anywhere with this crud. I know the green stuff is hair algae, I’m working on it :( latest test results are in the pics, and I know I need to raise my DKH, working on that too.
Do you have something that tests all of that for you or is that an app that you input your data in to? Very cool.

VO3434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question but I'm a newbie to all of this... the graph that shows all of your parameters,.... what is that? Is that an Apex system ? Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back