At R2R you’re my brother, you’re my sister...

Do you look at R2R as more of a community or just a forum?

• More of a community....

Votes: 338 67.6%
  • More of a forum....

Votes: 162 32.4%

• Total voters

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R started as a forum. Lurking and reading and then when I joined and posted in meet and greet all the welcomes started the move toward a community feeling. Reading and following different tanks and threads and getting invested in others success and failures - having people comment and check in on my journey turned it into more of a family feeling.
When you see people posting on someone’s thread asking if they are ok as they hadn’t posted at normal rate/ time that’s family caring for each other.
I’ve met a couple R2R members now and hope to meet more in person over time and get to know folks nearby. Putting faces to names and sharing a common passion- caring - an disagreeing on occasion seems to be family to me.
Thankful to have found such a positive place on the internet to be welcomed into.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the intent to be inclusive of women here, and I think we can do even better. I work in software development, which tends to be mostly guys, and the programmer community really struggles with making itself welcoming to women. Lots of online forums regardless of subject matter suffer from the problem of seeming like
"a place where the guys hang out", without necessarily intentionally trying to be like that. How many times have you seen a forum post or a YouTube video that starts out with "Hey, guys"? Maybe totally innocent and unintentional, but at some point you see things like that often enough and you start to get a feeling about who is welcome and who might not be.
Honestly as a woman programmer I've almost always found the programming community to be pretty welcoming. It's hiring managers, hr, and management that I've actually had issues with.

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still new here so I can tell you this from an outsiders perspective. Not having much free time and limited choices for Lfs, I knew I would need to seek info and help so I did some research/ googling etc to find a forum that was active/ inclusive and by that I mean not just the same 5 people who do all the posting and answer others by pointing to search bar etc.
it needed to be somewhere that I could ‘use’ -my time being limited means I was looking for a one stop shop
Anyhoo with all this in mind R2R is where I chose as not only does it meet my criteria, it feels like you are all smiling AND made me a cup of tea aswell.
Definitely a community with common bonds. From my experience isn’t that how family works? Everyone is linked, some more than others, there will always be those who get on better and those who ‘tolerate’ but of course will rock up when called upon
And then those who are living in distant shores.
Early days like I said but I’ve had colder welcomes and greetings from my actual family and friends who I could see on a daily basis!
Well done everyone and thankyou

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean that I can have a hug?

Sure...

tumblr_n5ti7oyPZr1rwg9p3o3_250.gif

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, R2R is a refuge and a friend. It is a place I can go to when I'm feeling down about the hobby to get recharged. I can come here to get a laugh on a day when things in life are tough. I can find a story that reminds me just how fortunate I am in life. I can help someone who is feeling overwhelmed by the hobby with just a few kind words, this gives me value. I can accidentally discover a different outlook on something, a better one. I'd say that's what a community does. It enriches your life, betters it. Thank You R2R and Rev!

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Members of Reef2Reef...
  • We embrace the idea that community and family are at the core of who we are.
  • We embrace the idea that everyone is to be treated with respect and dignity although at times we disagree strongly about certain issues or topics.
  • We embrace the idea that we are more than strangers creating posts in forum format rather we are a reefing family with a common interest here to learn, teach and enjoy saltwater aquariums together.
As a member of R2R you are my brother and you are my sister and I will treat you as so.

- revhtree

PS. Feel free to sign this thread with your post if you’re in agreement.

we are family giveaway.jpg

Definitely been feeling the love in the build threads!

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the only online community I engage in, where I see the respect, and understanding that should be common for all people in all spaces demonstrated well. Honestly.. how do people even find the time to hate? I have better things to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back